• DON'T LIKE IT

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to poll all the fellow MO owners. On some cars this accessorie adds to looks and it looks better, and on some cars not so much. From watching the pictures of MOs, Im torn. I never seen one on the road with one. What u say and help a fellow out.

Bug Deflector on the MO

Like It
Don't Like It

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Used one for a cross country road trip but thats it. Now sits in the corner of my garage.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Bambus-

I am not one for "fluff". I don't like unnecessary do-dads on a car.

In some areas of the country you need bug-deflectors, in other areas you do not.

If you have bugs in your region and they are making a mess of your MO, then install the bug-deflector. If you have no bugs but like the look of your MO with the bug deflector then go for it!

Whatever you do, don't forget to post pics.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I put one on my 2005 pretty much right when I got the car, and ended up taking it off not too long afterwards. I liked the look of it (helped improve the front end, which I have never liked). However, it messed up the air currents, making it so that rain would not blow off the windshield like it should. Ended up "swirling" the water instead, reducing visibility.

I wouldn't call it dangerous or anything, but it was annoying to me. So I removed it, and have been without ever since. I think it's still in my garage somewhere... along with my OEM grill that was replaced... :D

I don't think it will really help for bugs on the window, traveling across the state during bug season is far better on the MO than any car I've had in the past (my Honda CRX was the worst, more than once I would have to actually stop and clean off my window so I could see, wipers did nothing).

What this WOULD do is reduce the bug guts on the front of the hood itself. Since I installed StonGard (essentially a clear bra) it doesn't really matter as much to me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
All
Bug deflectors are just a nom de grere for them. For were I live bugs are not the reason for having them on, but the real reason is to prevent rock chips from removing the paint on the front part of the hood. Rock chips are used to assist traction in snowy climes ( spring time in the Rockies and it is -10C). They also employs a lot of car window installers as any one that lives here can attest to

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx for all replies. I too would only use it as a rock chip prevention. After some consideration and many pics, I dont think I will install.

Thnx again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bambus said:
Thnx for all replies. I too would only use it as a rock chip prevention. After some consideration and many pics, I dont think I will install.

Thnx again.

My opinion is simple, .... looks better (especially if it's the same color as the car), may stop some bugs and rocks, can't hurt. So why not?? I like the way it looks on my MO, it was my first mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another....

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last one...

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Actually, this is the best view...

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pops said:
dalascby, your MO looks awesome. Love the wheels and the grill...and the bug deflector looks OK too :D.

Thanks Pops!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd get one to prevent rock chips, which seem to be more numerous on this car than any other I've ever owned. Not sure if it's the shape, or the crappy paint--probably a combo of both.

One of the invisible bra types would probably be best for rock chip prevention. IMO, it's easier to clean the bugs off the car than off an add-on bug deflector so I'd go that route for sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Dala,

Your Mo looks awesome, and I actually like the deflector. Is it a dealer one, or an aftermarket deflector. I just dont like the dealer one cause i think its too thick. If its an aftermarket, can I get the manufacturer or place where to get it.

Thnx

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bambus said:
Hey Dala,

Your Mo looks awesome, and I actually like the deflector. Is it a dealer one, or an aftermarket deflector. I just dont like the dealer one cause i think its too thick. If its an aftermarket, can I get the manufacturer or place where to get it.

Thnx

Thanks Bambus. The bug/stone deflector is from Weathertech.

http://www.weathertech.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a black on black Mo too with the Weathertech deflector.....for as long as its the same color as the car then it's cool!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Forget the poll... I think dalascby just wanted to show his Mo off !! SOme of those pictures I can't even see the bug guard.:eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Forget the poll... I think dalascby just wanted to show his Mo off !! SOme of those pictures I can't even see the bug guard.:eek:

Heyyyyy! You callin' me out GymKid?? :)

True, like most of us....errrr, "all" of us...I like my MO, and I don't mind showing it off!! :)

Also, I think there is only one pic where you can't really see the bug/stone deflector, which, if you think about it, illustrates the point of how unobtrusive it looks when it's the same color as the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts