Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a really good deal on an MTX 9500 15" sub that I couldnt pass up, so I started building a box out of 3/4" MDF tonight for it. Tha front wall is double thickness for the weight of the sub, which is somewhere around 65 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear view

Still need to attach another piece of board to the inner port wall, which will extend roughly 8" in from that point. Box is tuned to 35hz.

It's not the best looking box, but for not having a table saw, I think I did an okay job.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic of sub....

I don't think this one is the 15" model, but you'll get an idea of the frame and magnet assembly...

***EDIT*** I think it is the 15"..if you look at the model number on the back of the sub it says 9515

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Finally! A REAL subwoofer... I see people with 8's 10's and 12's and while 12's are OK, I've yet to hear the lows well enough to truly call them subs. (Never mind what I think when I see most surround sound systems!)

Once you get it covered, you won't notice any little "problems" so much.

If you do another one, you might want the sides to protrude out the front a bit to protect the speaker, which you could then mount from the front.

I'm also curious about trying a custom one. Watching Overhaulin' I saw how a custom box was done with some stretchy fabric, a couple of mounting rings, a board and fibreglas. The fabric was strectched over the mounting rings and stapled to the board, then glassed over top. Pretty straight forward to build as well. But it wasn't ported and probably won't work as well as yours.:D

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! I got off the phone with MTX about the box plans and since I extended the thickness of the front wall by 1/2", I extended the front port exit by 1/2". I should trim the inside board of the port 1/2" to compensate. I'm also awaiting a "yoke" template which will support the magnet inside the box. It's almost a must with a speaker that weighs 70 pounds. THey even said that doubling up the front wall isn't enough. I figure I'll just do it right while I have the opportunity to.

BTW -- Does anyone have carpeting experience. Im gonna hook everything up, and if it sounds good, I'll go ahead with the carpeting of the box. Any pointers would be great.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's done...

Well it's all done. Sound is downright gut-wrenching, it punches so hard. Doesn't act like a 15" sub either as it is very accurate as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally, the inside where I had a hell of a time making the needed magnet support for it.

Attachments

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Dookie:

Like your work. I do have a suggestion though. The brace you put in there is not very strong in the horizontal orientation. You would achieve more strength if it were vertical. The weight of the magnet is basically riding on the two thin portions of your cut-out. If it were vertical the load would rest on a more substantial piece of wood.

Anyway did you get my message regarding the speaker carpet?

How were you planning on securing the speaker to the box? If were planning on using regular screws forget about it. You should be using mdf furniture nuts with some appropriate bolts

Looks good!

·
4,664 Posts
I agree it looks great and you could do the magnet support a little different. I would have put in four braces that ran parallel to the sides (So you'd only see four edges at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) to minimise obstruction to the sound/air flow movement and still give a lot of support.

Although I don't think it would make a significant difference... Wish I could hear it!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gen and Jaak for the inputs! :)

I did speak with MTX and this was the way they told me to do it?!? I dunno. It sounds good, and the wall is actually 1/2" thicker than suggested in their plans. If the brace ends up breaking, I may attempt another one, but with the back wall on now, it may be next to impossible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts