Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone smell what seems to be burning rubber when you get back from long trips? I now have 35000 miles on my murano and it is 9 mos old. After I come to a stop with the engine on like say pulling up to a pump before shutting off. I get a faint whiff of burning rubber. It seems to be coming from the vents. But you can occasionally smell it outside the vehicle also.
Any comments suggestions as to what may be going on?:confused:

ivnurse

·
Registered
149 Posts
Still might be some burn off from the Cats or some shipping plastic that was not removed the right way. Did you notice the smell after a recent oil change? Might have some oil burning.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You can check whether it originates in the ventilation system by switching to recirculating air. This will prevent (for the most part) outside air from coming into the vehicle. My guess is that the odors you smell are coming from the outside drawn in when you have the climate control set on fresh air mode. Spilled oil from a messy oil change could be the cause. You might want to check for leftover oil around the oil filter, as many service shops don't wipe the area down enough after changing the filter (which is messy).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have noticed a burning rubber smell at times, as well. Only when I have had the wipers on and backed into the garage. At first I got a whiff as I got out of the MO. Closer sniffing led me to the back edge of the hood on the driver's side.
If I opened the hood, I couldn't detect any more odor. Close the hood and the same: no smell.
If I drove to the end of the driveway and back (about 1 1/2 mile) with the intermittents on, I could once again get a whiff of burning rubber at the back edge of the hood on the driver's side.

Not burning oil (spill or internal). I know what that smells like.
Not burning plastic, either.

Burning rubber.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The burning rubber smell you sometimes get wiffs of after a long drive, I believe comes from the rubber "grommets" the exhaust system hangs from. If you've ever checked out the exhaust system, you will notice , for example, 3 hooks that are welded to the rear crossways muffler. They are about 5/8" thick and have a knob at the end that sticks through a hole in a rubber hanger. After a long drive, the heat is transfered up these hooks and creates a burning rubber odor. The heat isn't high enough to burn or melt the rubber, so it isn't anything to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
senza said:
The burning rubber smell you sometimes get wiffs of after a long drive, I believe comes from the rubber "grommets" the exhaust system hangs from. If you've ever checked out the exhaust system, you will notice , for example, 3 hooks that are welded to the rear crossways muffler. They are about 5/8" thick and have a knob at the end that sticks through a hole in a rubber hanger. After a long drive, the heat is transfered up these hooks and creates a burning rubber odor. The heat isn't high enough to burn or melt the rubber, so it isn't anything to be concerned about.
That is a very reasonable explaination. Sounds good to me! :4:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I have smelled it as well only with the AC on.

I was goin.....no, you don't smell a thing.....(please don't mess up on me now MO)
:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've smelled the same thing. At first (knowing that the CVT used fluid with rubber in it) I thougt I had a major problem waiting to happen. I think the exhaust hangers are a more reasonable explanation

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah right. Rubber grommets under the rear of the vehicle lead to a burning rubber smell ONLY at the base of the WINDSHIELD.

Sure....... Got any Arizona oceanfront for sale?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Yeah right. Rubber grommets under the rear of the vehicle lead to a burning rubber smell ONLY at the base of the WINDSHIELD.

Sure....... Got any Arizona oceanfront for sale?
Whatever your burning rubber smell is, it might not be the same as what other people have, so please try to be respectful of advice people are giving, as we are all here to help each other.

You might want to see if the wiper motor arm (the one under the hood connecting the two wiper arms) is rubbing against something that it should not be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
more on the burning rubber smell

For what its worth...

I smelled the exact same smell in the exact same spots. I originally thought it was coming from the cd changer but I also smelled it over the hood, and the smell was very strong. The odd thing was, after I ran my mo through a carwash it went away and I haven't smelled it since. Try that and let me know if that works.

yp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts