1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Five out of nine Jiffy Lubes were corrupt!! Over half of the stores were obviously out to screw the customer. Hopefully the investigation will get the attention of some consumer protection agency. Those specific stores should be slapped with fines and/or sanctions.

You would have to be an idiot to go to a Los Angeles-area Jiffy Lube after seeing that report. I hope business drops off significantly at those stores.

KNBC is in Los Angeles? It figures. You would never see anything like that in New Jersey. :22:

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
This is the reason I started serviceng my car myself. I just do not trust the service mechanics.....I do not know why........

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Gotta feel sorry for the guy that wrenched for the man for years and finally got enuf together to buy a franchise and runs his bidness legit.
And there WERE 4 out of 9 legitimate businesses that will be damaged by this.

As pointed out, If I am in LA, I am not going to try and figure out who the good guys are.........

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I sure hope the dealer steals enough

with overpricing that they at least do the work.:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ha ha....I used to work for a JL back in the college days....That's why I never go there for servicing. I know what goes on.

warning: If you do go there, never go when its busy! (especially if it's a bunch of college kids working there.)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Best part of the video: "My name is Alex and that is my car over there, the red one."

p0wned!!!!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I am very curious to see if any criminal charges are brought against "Alex" or the store managers. If any of our Los Angeles-area members see any follow-up information on this story I would appreciate if you could update the rest of us.

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Registered
286 Posts
jiffy screw has always being screwing customers up all across usa,I have lots of pretty heated encounters with them in the past,they love sending you to the little waiting room like is there something fun to do but a dry out coffee maker.
my wife went there once they nailed her with "high tech"$40 air filter(not k&n not any other washable brand)I was like wtf!!went over there hell raise on'em got my money back.
but went I used to go to jiffy I was one of the one standing right in front of the car watching them and asking questions about the job they were doing and I could tell they didn't like it at all and they refer me to the stupid little waiting area twice I say no way I want to see what I'm paying for.oh well like that story I got plenty of 'em with jiffy screw.do it yourself if you can cuz no one will care about you car more than you do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is not just a problem in LA with Jiffy Lubes being crooks. My family and some friends have all caught Jiffy Lubes red handed with not doing services they charged for. Mr Good Lube is another shady outfit in NJ. I no longer give them any of my business.

Not only are they crooks but they are beyond careless in the labor they do perform. How about driving out of a Jiffy Lube with no oil in your car!!! They did that to me with my '87 Jeep. My friend had his car serviced at a Jiffy (manual trans) and they let the car roll into the highway after they completed the service and it caused an accident. My Dad's Chevy they over tightened the oil filter and broke the thread on the car. When I gave up on Jiffy and tried Mr Good Lube a few times they managed to break my air filter chamber on my '95 Maxima.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think any auto service where they promise to do the job within a certain amount of time (30 minutes or less) will lend itself to cutting corners and shady work. I agree with Grip regarding the idea that the dealership is a place where they will likely perform the work they say they will (otherwise they might be forced to handle low paying warranty claims), but even Nissan dealers have a 30 minute quick lube service which might not be immune to corner cutting.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric-

I think the problem is more than just cutting corners due to the time constraints. I think a lot has to do with the high employee turnover rates experienced by these outfits.

Think about the best garage or service station you have know. Odds are you have known the mechanic(s) for years. The guy(s) most likely has been there for years and developed a good reputation with his customers. He is more interested in fixing the problem the first time than in getting the most number of vehicles through his door. He is probably more expensive than a Jiffy/Quick Lube, but he can be trusted. He is not going to tell you your air filter needs replacing when you just replaced it yourself last month.

If you are a long-time customer of one of these 30 minute quick-lube places, take a look at your receipts. Odds are you will not see the same "associates" name twice. They change employees as frequently as you change your oil.

I place more stock in a reputation than I do in an advertisement. Once my warranty is up, I plan on finding a mechanic with a good reputation.

-njjoe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Too bad there couldn't be a study like this at the $tealerships. Sir, you are going to need a fill-up on your head light fluids. Yep, I'll bend over and have another.......:2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Coness said:
Too bad there couldn't be a study like this at the $tealerships. Sir, you are going to need a fill-up on your head light fluids. Yep, I'll bend over and have another.......:2:
They can't trick me with that one, since I know *only* the blinkers require regular fluid changes! :D

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I've caught Jiffy-Lube and other fast-lube places several times. They all have the "x point inspection" deal, which includes checking the air in the tires. I started deflating one of my tires just a bit (down to 25psi, still looks OK) right before I go in to see if they catch it. About 10 times at different locations and different cars, not ONCE was it caught or fixed.

I also noticed that they list a lot more oil used than what the cars can actually take. My wife's Prizm, for example, takes a MAX of 4 quarts. They listed 6.5 quarts once. But when I checked the level it was fine, so they certainly didn't put that much in.

Oh, and they ALWAYS seem to want to replace the air filters. They'll bring a brand-new filter in and show it to you, saying that it's starting to get dirty and should be replaced. $2.50 part for the Prizm, they wanted about $16.

I stopped going to fast-lube places after my own little "test". And I've convinced several friends and family members to use a real mechanic (a trusted one) or do it themselves with my stories.

Wonder if a class action lawsuit is a possibility for Jiffy-Lube...

:twak:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Corin said:

I also noticed that they list a lot more oil used than what the cars can actually take. My wife's Prizm, for example, takes a MAX of 4 quarts. They listed 6.5 quarts once. But when I checked the level it was fine, so they certainly didn't put that much in.

This is done because they are probably changing the oil on their own cars (when the manager is out). They have to account for the oil they used when there is an audit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts