Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from the dealer I leased my 2003 Murano from. Apparently they want to buy back my vehicle as they have 'used orders to fill' and put me in a 2005 for no cost. Anyone hear anything (recall info, etc). that might indicate Nissan wants these off the road for some reason? Or ... is this a simple sales technique? I'm about 18 months into my lease.

Thanks,
RZ

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Darn it...I wish I had one of those letters...I would have been happy with the MO with the keyless start and backup camera.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Is the new lease for the remainder of the original term or will it extend by 18 month (what you have in it now)? That may be a way for the dealer to increase its sales (or lease) volume by selling you a new lease contract while making a sale on your old MO at the same time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of the deal - I need to go in and talk. If it is for the balance of the term I might bite. Any downsides to the new Muranos? One downside is the color - I've got a Pewter - love this color, nothing like it. We almost bought/eased another but were holding out for some new colors.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds a little like the "go ahead" program (I think that's what it's called) from General Motors. I just went through that when the lease on my Pontiac came up for expiration. They offered to let me out of my lease a year early if I got into another GM vehicle.

The "at no cost" you mention is interesting... are they offering the same payment and no out-of-pocket for the trade -- just an extention on your lease term? That sounds like a good deal to me. Too bad I bought my 04 and didn't lease it. :) I'm holding out to see what great things the 06 or maybe 07s have to offer. Of course, by then, I might not be so motivated to get myself into yet another 60-month payment committment. I'm looking forward to paying off my MO and keeping it for a long time. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
rzam2k said:
One downside is the color - I've got a Pewter - love this color, nothing like it. We almost bought/eased another but were holding out for some new colors.
The 05's have Merlot and Midnight Blue! Those were my #1 and #2 color choices, but since I went with an 04 I got Sheer Silver.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
My wife is constantly getting flyers from GM stating that her 1998 Chevy Prism is in "high demand" and that they want to give her "top dollar" on the trade-in for a new car.

It's a complete marketing gimmick. Don't fall for this crap. All they're wanting to do is to get you thinking about a new car and try to get you to purchase from them so that they can KEEP taking your money. It's not that they have quotas to fill, or that they have a buyer already for your '03 MO, or that they just think you're a good guy and want to make you a good deal. It's just a way for them to loop in a customer easily because, after all, you already bought one so maybe you'll buy another one?

That said, if they ARE willing to give you a good deal and get you out of your lease early, AND, if that's what you're wanting to do, fine. Take it. But don't let them convince you that you're getting an extra-special deal just because it's you.

Think of it this way: You're locked into a lease right now. When that lease is up, you'll probably be looking at all kinds of different cars, Nissan or otherwise. They figure that if they give you an offer BEFORE your lease is up, and you want to get out of your lease, then they have you back in their pockets rather than losing you to Honda or Toyota or whoever.

Just be smart. Don't go into the dealership because they suckered you in, ONLY go to a dealership when you are WANTING to go in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds to good to be true, If it is a lease like post above they probably will extend your current one. Car Dealers are not known to do anything that benefits the consumer. Sounds like a duck walks like a duck........

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a similar offer from VW when I was leasing my Jetta before I bought my MO. I believe they actually did offer something along these same lines, nothing down, but I would be starting a new lease. Oh, and this was the end of the model year, so they wanted me to get a 04 before the 05 came out (or was it 03 before 04) either way it was a way to reduce inventory.

I had already decided to dump the Jetta and go for something bigger. Couldn't be much happier...well, unless VW wanted to trade me for a touareg at the same payment. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure it's a sales pitch but possibly worthwhile if you are interested in upgrading to a newer model at this time. I don't lease but know there are many factors to take into consideration.

The dealer isn't offering this to be benevolent, they are stretching the payments out again and marketing types realize an existing client is an easier sale than a stranger. (providing the client is satisfied).

It might be interesting just to crunch the numbers and see how good the deal is.... then ask if you can get a Sentra at half the payments! :p

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Corin said:
My wife is constantly getting flyers from GM stating that her 1998 Chevy Prism is in "high demand" and that they want to give her "top dollar" on the trade-in for a new car.

It's a complete marketing gimmick. Don't fall for this crap. All they're wanting to do is to get you thinking about a new car and try to get you to purchase from them so that they can KEEP taking your money. It's not that they have quotas to fill, or that they have a buyer already for your '03 MO, or that they just think you're a good guy and want to make you a good deal. It's just a way for them to loop in a customer easily because, after all, you already bought one so maybe you'll buy another one?

That said, if they ARE willing to give you a good deal and get you out of your lease early, AND, if that's what you're wanting to do, fine. Take it. But don't let them convince you that you're getting an extra-special deal just because it's you.

Think of it this way: You're locked into a lease right now. When that lease is up, you'll probably be looking at all kinds of different cars, Nissan or otherwise. They figure that if they give you an offer BEFORE your lease is up, and you want to get out of your lease, then they have you back in their pockets rather than losing you to Honda or Toyota or whoever.

Just be smart. Don't go into the dealership because they suckered you in, ONLY go to a dealership when you are WANTING to go in.
Corin. I was gonna give the same speech, you beat me to it... Excellent post.

·
Registered
470 Posts
special-k said:

The 05's have Merlot and Midnight Blue! Those were my #1 and #2 color choices, but since I went with an 04 I got Sheer Silver.
Another new color is Platinum which is the replacement for Pewter. Like Pewter, Platinum has the lower bumpers front and rear painted body color .

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've been getting these letters for several years now. The last one said they'd give me MSRP for the Maxima, as long as I upgraded to a new vehicle from them.

Down at the bottom of the letter, in really tiny print, was the details.

"Original MSRP, less 14 to 29 cents PER MILE, based on the condition of the vehicle".

:eek:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, I just got my buy back letter in the mail yesterday. Supposedly, I am one in a few selected for this special treatment. It's a 5 day event where I am supposed to bring my car in for an evaluation and then I will be able to select a brand new 2005 Murano for "little or no extra out of pocket money".

Phewwwww, something smells.........is that bullcrap in the air?

Anyway, I don't think I want to go through all of that break-in stuff all over again after just a year of ownership. My seats are now molded properly to my asscheeks and I have my radio station presets just right.

Sounds like a too good to be true thing if you ask me, great optimist that I am, lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Don't believe the ego boosting wordind in the letter. It's just to make you feel special and entice you to make the deal happen. But I do know (from conversations with GM people, cannot really say it is so for Nissan) that not everyone gets the offer to have their lease assumed and get a new car.

I would believe that the dealer will assume the remainder of your lease and put you into a new car. Nissan probably has a an arrangement with dealers for certain customers to assume their leases. For Nissan and the dealer, it is all about selling new cars. Like mentioned earlier, GM has the "go ahead" program, which this is probably similar to your letter. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mozman said:
Don't believe the ego boosting wordind in the letter. It's just to make you feel special and entice you to make the deal happen. But I do know (from conversations with GM people, cannot really say it is so for Nissan) that not everyone gets the offer to have their lease assumed and get a new car.

I would believe that the dealer will assume the remainder of your lease and put you into a new car. Nissan probably has a an arrangement with dealers for certain customers to assume their leases. For Nissan and the dealer, it is all about selling new cars. Like mentioned earlier, GM has the "go ahead" program, which this is probably similar to your letter. Good luck.
Nissan's goal is to sell one million cars....at any cost :2:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ok, so here's my plan:

I have to take my MO in for service next Monday. The final two days of this special event are Monday and Tuesday next week.

Although the flyer that I was sent said you need to make an appointment with a salesperson to get this special deal, I plan to cruise the showroom with paper in hand while I am waiting for my wife to pick me up. I'll hover around the 2005 MO and see how long it takes the vultures to smell fresh meat. They'll be all over me like flies on a new dogpile.

I'll present my special offer flyer to them and proceed to give them the sixth degree. If they can match my monthly payment with no out of pocket money and the same features that I currently have on my 2004 MO, I may consider it. If they throw in some extras (sat radio or nav system, boy am I dreaming) and don't ask for down money, I may crumple, lol. We'll see. I'll report my findings back here on Tuesday. If they give me a buncha crap about not making an appoinment in the first place, then I guess it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
elliotgb said:
Ok, so here's my plan:

If they give me a buncha crap about not making an appoinment in the first place, then I guess it wasn't meant to be.
I'll bet 1,000,000 to 1/2 that they give no crap. Good Luck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I decided to schedule an appointment with the internet sales manager. I told him in my email that I would be interested in a 2005 as a buyback only if it met my conditions: no extra out of pocket money, the same monthly payment, and the same/and or enhanced features that I have on my 2004.

My 2004 is an SL/AWD with Vdc/dynamic control, Hid lights, SL Premium package, no nav or dvd system. I currently have 18,000 miles and the vehicle is in mint condition.

I am leasing, by the way.

Does anyone have any ideas for intelligent questions I need to ask?
I am still very skeptical about the whole thing, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I am going in with the satisfaction of my current vehicle + the fact that I really don't need a 2005.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts