Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Murano for three weeks now, and I love it. My only problem is that I am having a little remorse that I didn't get the Navigation kit now. I know that there are other options, like mounting a Garmin or Magellan on the dash, or having a PDA style GPS mounted on an arm like some of the photos I have seen in this forum.

My question is, I know that they say that the built in Nav System is a Factory Install only, but has anybody else had any other experiences to the contrary?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, I almost went without the Nav... now, I can't see NOT having it. It certainly makes a statement (from a technology standpoint) and is also very handy.

Still, it isn't a huge requirement. I don't do a lot of traveling. Wherever I do go, I usually know what is in the area and don't have to tell my Nav to find me the nearest italian restaurant... but it is cool to have the option to do that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just saw a Pioneer DVD navigation system on TechTV and thought it looked pretty cool! The screen slides out like a CD drawer and stows away so you're not drawing attention to it when you're not in your car. Here's a link:

Pioneer DVD Navigation

Jeff

·
Registered
360 Posts
The thing that bothers me about DVD-based nav systems is the changing nature of the nation's roadways.

A six-month old disc can be pretty out of date in a metro area. Shoot, in some areas, the disc is out of date as soon as you get it!

Question(s): How often do these nav systems (Pioneer and from Nissan) provide for disc updates?
Do you get free updates to your maps and "points of interest" (tha IS what's on the DVDs/CDs) at all?

·
Registered
202 Posts
There's nothing free about the updates to the Nissan DVD-based navigation system. The company that makes the DVDs for the Nissan system released an update just a couple of months ago that sells for $186.00. It looks like they'll probably release an update annually. That being said, I haven't found a bunch of problems yet with outdated maps in the major metropolitan areas I've traveled to, although some of the points of interest were incorrect.

Jeff

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
You could be like me. I got the MO, put in my home address and...it didn't have it. Whenever I drive in my neighborhood the GPS gods think I'm offroading in a horse pasture! :2:

Is there a way I can call them to see if my address is now listed or to 'suggest' an addition?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
If you are looking for aftermarket NAV I still like my screenless VCOM. easy install and no distractions. GRIP :D

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Snow MO said:
Is there a way I can call them to see if my address is now listed or to 'suggest' an addition?
Snow, you may find someone here nice enough to do a search for you to see how your area looks on the latest DVD and post pictures. Also, you can't go wrong by filing a report at zenrin.com. Leave it up to them to research whether or not the update has already been incorporated. Best you can do is submit it and wait up to a year to watch the next release. I don't know if they offer online map browsers like Garmin does.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Thanks for the insight! I'll send them an email inquiry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nav Install

So what did you find out? Is there a way to get it installed after? Thanks!!:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Nav Install

shurlavision said:
So what did you find out? Is there a way to get it installed after? Thanks!!:cool:
I ponder the same.. I want Nav so bad, but can't find any for sale with it. I'm almost ready to settle without it :(

Can it be added?

·
4,664 Posts
You really don't want to try to add it. While it's not impossible, it's certainly a royal pain, and not any cheaper than getting it as an option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just spoke to the sales guy I've been working with. He's going to try and find an SE and quote adding the Nav at the dealership. He seems to think he can get it done around $2K.

Might be worth it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you sure it is not aftermarket.

Everything OEM, I will be very surprised, not just cost but whether it is technically feasible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CVeeT said:
Are you sure it is not aftermarket.

Everything OEM, I will be very surprised, not just cost but whether it is technically feasible.
I asked him about OEM, but I'll double-check!

·
4,664 Posts
OEM, no modifications to the wiring harness and get it in writing.

Not all Muranos have the wiring in the wiring harness to support Nav.

You might even be better off waiting for one to be built than to have someone rip apart the dashboard to try and retrofit it.

They have to pull apart the dash and the console. Antenna goes in behind the new display they have to install, and a new controller gets installed, they have to put the DVD part in the console with the access panel on the right side of the console...

Lots of potential for someone to mess up the Murano that you have to live with. Unless it's already prepped to take the Nav. Anyone have that access door without having Nav? It's on the passenger side of the console in the carpeted area. I'm not aware of any SE's being prepped to take a dealer install of Nav and this might be a clue that they exist.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jaak said:
OEM, no modifications to the wiring harness and get it in writing.

Not all Muranos have the wiring in the wiring harness to support Nav.

You might even be better off waiting for one to be built than to have someone rip apart the dashboard to try and retrofit it.

They have to pull apart the dash and the console. Antenna goes in behind the new display they have to install, and a new controller gets installed, they have to put the DVD part in the console with the access panel on the right side of the console...

Lots of potential for someone to mess up the Murano that you have to live with. Unless it's already prepped to take the Nav. Anyone have that access door without having Nav? It's on the passenger side of the console in the carpeted area. I'm not aware of any SE's being prepped to take a dealer install of Nav and this might be a clue that they exist.
Turns out it was aftermarket he was talking about...

I wish Nissan didn't make this so difficult to add on..

·
Registered
19 Posts
SSpiro,
If you haven't bought one yet, I got my MO with Navi for $300 behind invoice. Simply find the one that you're looking for, contact the internet dept. and tell them that's what you want to pay. There is a $500 rebate on 05's. Search on the Nissan website, but do so in the bigger cities. I found that dealers in smaller cities don't have MO's with Navi.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts