Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I posted, but I have one of the first 03's and it's time to trade. There is really nothing wrong with it, but the rattles are bugging me and my seat still moves after 4 attempts to fix it, plus I think that it's the right time in the cycle to get the best deal since it is about 33 months old and has 34,000 miles.

Anyway, I have decided on an '06 SL 2WD and found the perfect one for me color wise, option wise, etc. It seems to be the only one that comes up in any dealer search in the Southeast like it. The only issue is that it is a demo and has 3900 miles, but, I think they are offering me enough off to compensate for that, but wanted to run it by the experts here :). It's 3 hours away from me, so I haven't seen it but they tell me that they keep them just like new and I tend to trust that. I plan to buy it Saturday.

It's a 2006 SL 2WD with Touring Package with XM, VDC, Navigation, Crossrails, Mats, and Splash Guards. It stickers for $37,695 and they are offering it to me with a 50,000 mile extended warranty for $32,845. I think it's actually a really good deal and better than I expected, but are the 3,900 miles really that big a deal?

By the way, my 2003 is an SL with leather and cold package but no NAV, new Goodyear tires and XM. It has 34,000 miles on it and I am selling it to a friend for $22,500. The official CarMax appraisal was $20,000. Considering I paid $30,000, I think that is an excellent return for almost 3 years of driving.

Opinions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :cool:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Adrew777 said:
...plus I think that it's the right time in the cycle to get the best deal since it is about 33 months old and has 34,000 miles.
Why do you think that way? Do you mean that because they'll give you the best trade in dollars?

$20K for trade in value is really good.
$22.5K for private sale is even better. Good for you.

My 03 murano is a couple months younger than yours.
I am starting to look for vehicle upgrade since the last 6 months: the infiniti fx is one choice, the new lexus IS is another.
Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Adrew777-

It looks like a great deal on both ends.

It will be interesting to see from your perspective how the MO has changed over the 3 years.

Good luck with the new car!

-njjoe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER actually BUY a vehicle that was a demo. Especially on a vehicle with an uncommon feature like the CVT in the Murano. You don't know who put those 3900 miles on. Was the vehicle properly broken in? Was it beat on? Probably. I would rather pay more money for a brand new vehicle.

My opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
762x51 said:
Personally, I would NEVER actually BUY a vehicle that was a demo. Especially on a vehicle with an uncommon feature like the CVT in the Murano. You don't know who put those 3900 miles on. Was the vehicle properly broken in? Was it beat on? Probably. I would rather pay more money for a brand new vehicle.

My opinion.
Personally, I would disagree with that. Sure it is a posibility but we aren't talking about a mustang 5.0. With that type of car I would worry. There aren't too many people out there that would jump into a $30K car they don't own and tear it up. Besides how much hidden damage could there be in only 3900 miles. Isn't that what the warranty is for anyways. A good friend of mine bought a 02 demo Frontier w/ 5000 miles on it a few years ago and it has been an incredibly good truck. Not a single issue what so ever.

So I say go look at it, drive it, if it feels good then save the money and get it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pacmo

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Pacmo-

I agree with you. I wouldn't be too concerned about buying a demo MO.

The typical person out to test drive a MO is not going to trash it.

-njjoe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks to everyone for the input and I agree that probably it was in good shape, that they didn't really have a chance to abuse it, etc. However, I just love having a new car be all mine and "all new" and just didn't like the idea that even if it was perfect, I was still spending a lot of money for something that someone else had already had the "fun" of taking off the lot for the first time or had put their kids and food in, etc. Or worse, taken away that new car smell.

So, what did I do? Well, spent more money :). I went ahead and took the "upgrade" for a bit more and reserved the only other one with the same options at the same dealership in Nashville. It's a 2006 SE AWD Brilliant Silver with Charcoal, Touring Package with XM. Navigation, VDC, Brushed Aluminum Crossbars (I love this look on the SE's), Splash Guards, Mats, etc. It listed for $40,115 and I got it for $34,765 before my trade which is the same amount as above. I pick it up Friday afternoon, so I will definately keep you guys updated on the the progress.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Congrats on the new MO! It would be cool if you can give us your impressions of both the improvement to the interior compared to 2003, and also whether you feel much difference between the SL and SE suspensions in terms of ride quality and handling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've bought two demo cars...you get a great car with more options for less $$$. My 2005 MO is a demo. Had 5K miles on it. While the dealership "sucks" for lack of a better word, the car is fine. Was a little dirty inside, but I made them re-detail it. I just hit 10K miles with no issues whatsoever mechanically, tire-wise, etc. Just a few rattles I will have looked at before 12K miles, but overall, I am satisfied with the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've bought (leased, actually) two demos in the past . . . a Saab and an Audi. Never a problem, plus they give you a full warranty as if there were no miles on it. If the demo had 4,000 miles and the warranty was for 3 years/36,000 miles, they started the 3-year "clock" from my date of delivery, and pushed out the mileage to 40,000.

Saved quite a bit of money, especially on the Saab.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"they started the 3-year "clock" from my date of delivery"

Don't know how they did that.
For both American and japanese brands at least, the clock is set when the unit is placed "in service". A demo is placed "in service" the day they name it a demo. When they name it a Demo, there are no ongoing charges on the floor plan, so dealerships are usually very attentive to placing a demo officially on demo status.
Maybe the europeans run their business differently....

Homer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For Nissan, one of the other reasons I went with the 0 mile one versus the demo was for that reason on the warranty. They had also told me that they would extend my factory warranty by the number of the miles on the car, but when I questioned it further, that "extra" period under warranty would only be good at their dealership and in case of something major like a transmission failure, etc I would have to have it towed to them. Well, since they are 220 miles from me and since all the dealers around me seem to change hands/names every 5 years or so, I didn't want to mess with it.

On the other hand, I think it works different with some other import manufacturers because our Audi had 123 miles on it when we bought it and I just looked and our free maintenance and/or warranty expires at 51,123 so I guess it just depends on how the dealer service network is set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats Adrew on your new MO! I know what you mean about wanting to be the ONLY owner. I too went through this when purchasing my new MO. At first I wanted a slightly used one but as I looked there was always something about each used one that bugged me. Nothing big they were just slightly used. So I re-ran the numbers bumped my limits up a little and went for a brand new 05 SL. I don't regret a thing. If they would have had a demo I would have considered it. Demos are very ofter really good deals, but new is new and nothing compares to that!

Pacmo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I picked it up yesterday and am quite impressed with the changes through the years. Also, very glad I went with the SE - just love the look. The screen, gauges, and camera make it worth trading alone but still getting used to the intelligent key.

Also, I really like the new silver. I had actually not seen it before buying, but it's so light, it's almost aluminum colored and with the brushed accents and roof rails, it looks great. I'll try to attach some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
number 2

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
final

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Adrew777-

Good luck with your new MO. It looks great. So does this make you a "two-timer"?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Looks great.

An excellent example of "evolution, not revolution".

The body color nearly matches the wheels. Cool.

Homer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts