Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes folks I have done the unthinkable. I have traded in my Murano. I know I have not posted in a very long time but I think bidding farewell would be the honorable thing to do. Why did I trade the MO' you ask? Here are a few reasons:

I have had the front rotors on the Mo' resurfaced 4 times for bad vibrations when braking. The Mo' only had 18K miles on it. I drove the car like a baby. Nissan could not explain why this was happening. They would not replace the rotors.

The CD changer broke. I had to have a new head unit installed (refurbished) under warranty. The fact that the radio is integrated into the car makes future repairs on the radio very expensive and upgrading an impossibilty.

My drivers seat had the rocking chair problem. Nissan repaired it but there was still a small movement in the seat when accelerating.

The tranny seemed really weird since I moved from NY to SC. I could not pinpoint the problem but could only descibe it as very short bursts of slipping from the tranny. The transition of power to the wheels did not feel silky smooth anymore, especially when starting from a stop. It did not happen if you accelerated hard but I was NOT driving a dragster so I don't drive that way. No codes were thrown and it did not happen all the time.

It was my intention to keep the Mo' for many years but in consideration of a tranny that I would not be able to do repairs on myself I opted to get a vehicle that had a conventional tranny. From what I understand the dealer cant repair the tranny either, they can only swap it.

So I took the car into the dealer and traded up to a new Pathfinder 4X4. The dealer was salivating when he saw my 03 Mo with only 18k on it. I do like the Nissan product line and the pathfinder was right up my alley. The car looks sharp, the interior is great. The tranny uses well proven technology that is easy to get parts for and can take a beating and tow some really heavy sh*t. The tranny has 4X4 on the fly. I did not get NAV this time around but with very good reason. The radio in the Path is a standard double-din configuration so now I can put a real double-din radio from Pioneer or Eclipse in there for about $1200 - $1500. A lot less that the factory Nav, loaded with much more features, a really nice Nav, and a kick ass radio to boot. The automatic climate control console is a seperate unit in the pathfinder so no problems there either.

So all in all I really did not lose anything except for my HID lights but I will get over it soon enough. I gained an extra row of seating and 3 climate zones. I also got freedom to mod the car the way I want with no integration restrictions.

For those of you who have followed my upgrades to the Mo it took me many hours to remove the mods, amplifiers, navbox, no-nag, xbox etc from the Mo and I returned it to the dealer as though it were never touched. I will be putting the PAC AAI-NIS aux audio interface and the OEM-1 amplifier interface up for auction so if you are interested let me know. The no-nag and navbox have been sold already.

This is not a bad report card for the Mo'. I think the Mo is a fine vehicle with excellent performance and styling and is very well suited for Urban living. In my situation where I intend on keeping the vehicle for a very long time it only seemed logical. I like to be able to take my car apart with my own hands and the tranny in the Mo seemed like an obsticle for me. I will miss her.

·
5,244 Posts
So you are still in the family!

Good luck with the Pathfinder. I hope you will have a lot of luck with it. My cousin bought it a couple of months ago and is very happy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good luck with the Pathfinder....Keep us updated on how you like it. I just ordered one for my wife. SE 4X4 loaded for my wife...Should be in late Feb early Mar......She can't wait to get it....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Have fun with your new toy and drop by once in a while to let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
They resurfaced your front rotors FOUR times but refused to put on new rotors?!? Your Dealer's service department should have their head examined! It would have been more cost-effective for them to replace the rotors after they realized the first resurfacing didn't do squat. Rotors are pretty damn cheap.

Now the new owner of your MO will go through the same hassle with the brakes. Wait until the service department tells him the rotors need to be replaced because there is little meat left on them and they can't turn them again.

I am always amazed at the short-sightedness of many repair organizations. They will save a dollar today only to spend two dollars tomorrow.

Oh yeah... Good Luck with your new ride.

-njjoe

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
njjoe said:
They resurfaced your front rotors FOUR times but refused to put on new rotors?!? Your Dealer's service department should have their head examined! It would have been more cost-effective for them to replace the rotors after they realized the first resurfacing didn't do squat. Rotors are pretty damn cheap.

Now the new owner of your MO will go through the same hassle with the brakes. Wait until the service department tells him the rotors need to be replaced because there is little meat left on them and they can't turn them again.

I am always amazed at the short-sightedness of many repair organizations. They will save a dollar today only to spend two dollars tomorrow.

Oh yeah... Good Luck with your new ride.

-njjoe
I agree 100%. But I had the rotors turned at different dealers as time went by. While I explained the situation they probably did not believe me and the dealer told me they can only replace rotors if they are to thin to be turned.

By the way "zebelkhan" I liked your avatar the best. I thought it was hilarious.

·
4,601 Posts
Wow, never thought it would happen. You and Me!

I can't help but wonder if the problem with the rotors is being overtightened. This was identified on my 2K Maxima as being an issue. If they were not torqued correctly, they would warp them.

I'm sure you're love the Pathfinder, just check how they service your brakes!!!

Hey and drop in. I still do!:D

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Et tu, Dan?

Dan, thanks for all your help along the way. Remember, "we will always have the NoNag" and "The Reversed Polarity Incident" :2: Seriously, being a geek, I always latched onto the real tech geniuses and I enjoyed watching you work.

Oh, and now that you've left the city, you're missing all the fun of the transit strike!

Best of luck to you, and I hope we'll see you chime in every now and again. Thanks again for your valued contributions.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
WOW
Is this catching or what? :(

We each have our reasons for getting in or out of a MO....but I think we will always remember the MO for being the powerfully smooth operator and her unique lines.
I will be out of mine in 07 when the lease ends for sure.
Maybe sooner if the right deal or financial strain happens.
I am at a quandry to what I would want next.....and be happy with.
Mine has been pretty painless (till I get tires) besides one bad visit I had with the dealer.
Whatever I get next will have to tow, be responsive and corner better than the last two minivans I had.

Loved your articles Dan, u're a techy pro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You said "will be putting the PAC AAI-NIS aux audio interface and the OEM-1 amplifier interface up for auction so if you are interested let me know"

I am interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please let me know.

thanks.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts