Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my cabin air filter tonight (it was easy enough) and noticed a little label located behind the glovebox which said the cabin air filter is washable! Looking at the filter it looks like the paper will dissolve in water its so thin. That said, the filter is cheap ($25) so I'll replace it every 15k miles as the owners manual suggests.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Does K&N make cabin air filters yet? Then we could get some extra performance out of that A/C! :D

·
5,244 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
Does K&N make cabin air filters yet? Then we could get some extra performance out of that A/C! :D
Nice try! :22:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
andy said:

Hmm... cannot find any info on it in the Maual.. where is it located? can i clean/change it myself?
You need the service manual or just do a search on the forum. There are many discussions and pictures. Even step by step directions as to how to do it. I have not done it my self yet but it only involves removing a few screws to take the glove box out and it is right behind it. It should not take more than 20 minutes. Depending on how dirty it is you maybe able to just vacume it clean.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I bought the filter to change it myself, as I've heard they charge 3 hours(!!!) labour for this. I still have to get around to it though.

·
5,244 Posts
andy said:

Hmm... cannot find any info on it in the Maual.. where is it located? can i clean/change it myself?

Andy

I will post info tonight when I get back home.....just be patient

·
5,244 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
I bought the filter to change it myself, as I've heard they charge 3 hours(!!!) labour for this. I still have to get around to it though.
Visited my dealer yesterday. Standard price for this service is $99.95 + applicable taxes! Tried to just buy the filter - no luck. It is on the backorder. Even warehouse does not have it. Was told to ask in 1 to 2 weeks time.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
ERICK L Did you say it's washable? Did you if so how? soaking, dunking, light spray, water only, soap? Thanks, GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The label attached to the interior trim near the cabin filter says wash and replace, although I don't think it will apply with the paper filter the Murano comes with. The penny pinching accountants at Nissan probably figured out charging $100 every 15,000 miles to change a paper cabin filter was good profit for dealers....

You can look for yourself and see if you want to wash the stock filter. I would not. The replacement part is only about $30.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Thanks,,, Maybe somebody offers a washabke filter that yould fit. I'll look around after I get the potential trade issue resolved. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
My dealer will charge me $84 for labor only...

to replace this interior filter, at 15K maintenance.
I told them to skip it when i did my 15K, because I will do it myself.

The penny pinching accountants at Nissan probably figured out charging $100 every 15,000 miles to change a paper cabin filter was good profit for dealers....

·
5,244 Posts
Went to my dealer today to get the in-cabin filter. $51.20 parts only!!!! And I really wanted to give him the business. Next time I am ordering on-line!

Anyway, replacement took me only 10 min or so. The filter, despite being in the car for 30k miles was surprisingly clean.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bought a new in cabin filter over the parts counter at my Nissan dealer for $29.95 in late August for my 00 Maxima SE, (same part number as the Muranos).

When I took the Murano in for it's 30k service in November, I noticed that the in cabin air filter was priced on the invoice at $43.xx.

43% retail price increase in one part number? I asked the Parts department what was going on and the response was, we just pass on the Nissan costs to our customers. She even double checked the listing in the parts computer and came up with the same $43 price.

Looks like the Nissan accountants have figured out a way to keep their profits growing for a while, even if steel is in shorter supply.

If your planning on keeping your Murano for a while, it might be a good idea to find someone on line still selling these for $29.95 and pick up a few!

·
5,244 Posts
You probably are right. I have to check the FX as well. It is possible they both are using same filter..

Thanks

·
5,244 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts