Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change/replace the cabin air filter on the 2009 Murano? The dealer is charging me almost $100 for it.

On my other cars, it's easy on how to get to the cabin air filter to replace it. But for the 2009 Murano, I can't figure it out and seems like you have to completely remove the glovebox compartment to get to it.

I'd appreciate it for any help regarding this.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
aironic-

Welcome to the forum.

Did you search for the solution or simply posted the question? The solution can be found here: Cabin Filter thread

It should take all of two minutes and requires no tools.

-njjoe

·
Registered
22 Posts
aironic

If you need the FSM(field service manual), I can direct you towards a link and you can download everything you need to know about your Murano. I could email it to you but the file is to large.

tubbedz:2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njjoe said:
aironic-

Welcome to the forum.

Did you search for the solution or simply posted the question? The solution can be found here: Cabin Filter thread

It should take all of two minutes and requires no tools.

-njjoe

I've searched the forum and saw that link you gave me. It sounded like that post is for a pre-2009 Murano. I was able to remove my glovebox compartment but I didn't see anything at the back for the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tubbedz said:
aironic

If you need the FSM(field service manual), I can direct you towards a link and you can download everything you need to know about your Murano. I could email it to you but the file is to large.

tubbedz:2:

Please send me the link for the manual and show me where I could find on how to replace the cabin air filter.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
aironic said:

Please send me the link for the manual and show me where I could find on how to replace the cabin air filter.

Thank you.

Sorry......got warned by a moderator and can't give out the link anymore. Good luck

"This forum has a policy against giving out links to free versions of the copyrighted Nissan service manuals."

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
red kiosk said:
MyNissanParts wants something like $41 for the $57 Nissan filter and then there is this one for $8.56…
Jim-

I bought a Purolator filter (p/n C35530) from Advance Auto for $12.28.

There is defintely no need to pay $57 for the OEM filter. Keep in mind this is nothing more than a cabin air filter. It's the same cabin that is exposed to unfiltered air every time a door is opened or a window is rolled down.

-njjoe

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
I just received the after-market cabin filters for my 09 today. At only $8.56 each, I decided to purchase three to save on shipping costs and always have one on hand. Each filter came packaged with an instruction sheet with photos. Nissan did change the location of the cabin filter for the 09s'. It's now located behind the center console… so no need to take that glove box apart anymore. There's a carpet panel on the side of the console that needs to be removed to access the filter access door. I plan on changing the filter this weekend and will post some photos showing the process. It doesn't look too hard. I sure hope no one plans to spend $57 for this thing. Take care!

Jim

EDIT: Decided to scan the instruction sheet just in case I can't get to it this weekend.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4537&size=big&papass=&sort=1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey, thanks very much for the update Red. I was planning to take the glove box off and see where the air filter is located. Thanks to you I won't go crazy looking for it for it in the wrong place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just replaced my cabin filter. I ordered from https://www.logical-source.com/2009-...ANO-10108.html (Thanks to Red Kiosk - Jim - for the link). Note to Canadian MO owners - no duties/fees as they ship using USPS and I ordered 2 for $17.12 which keep it under the magic $20 no duty mark..plus 10.53 for shipping - had them in 10 business days.
Anyways, I

• Removed the carpet as per Tyco instructions
  • Removed the filter cover by pushing up on the 'tab' lock - you better have a good back as you really need to contort yourself to see it
  • Removed the filter- you really do have to have needle nose pliers to get that filter out,
  • Inserted the new filter - you have to squeeze the heck out of the new one to get it in as the plastic opening is smaller than the filter itself. There is a direction air flow arrow on the Tyco one so be sure to follow it
  • Re-installed the carpet which was the toughest part as I had a heck of a time hooking the front 2 clips back onto the carpet piece. The front one isn't attached yet and I was getting frustrated and didn't want to break it so I stopped trying. I'll have to have the dealer check it.
After the carpet was installed, I saw that I didn't have to remove the carpet as the filter cover isn't covered by the carpet! (Unless I really messed up re-installing the carpet...)

I looked in the service manual and it doesn't mention removing the carpet (see attached image)...
I also attached a picture of the filter cover...

So next year it should be easier to replace the filter (it was pretty dirty - previous owner must never have replaced it). And even though I bought the used '09 MO from a dealer and it was 'Nissan Certified', I guess Nissan certification doesn't include replacing filters (and alot of other things...)

Gary

Attachments

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
OMG, you are so right! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just changed my filter this past Thursday (30,000 miles) and took that piece of console carpet off again. It's like 90% of the job, trying to put it back on again. A total PITA. Why the instructions state that you need to pull it off is besides me, but since I always read and follow the directions, I just did it again. Just got back from peaking at it with a flashlight and it's wide open without removing the carpet. Well, less sweat and swearing next time around. I just love this forum. Thanks again and take care!

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your welcome....yes, it'll be alot easier...we can't have the older MO owners (that's older Muranos, not older owners;-) thinking that their model is better...although even with not taking the carpet out, it's still hard on the back and you need a good flashlight! Don't tell them but the older model does look easier...

·
Registered
89 Posts
How do you change/replace the cabin air filter on the 2009 Murano? The dealer is charging me almost $100 for it.

On my other cars, it's easy on how to get to the cabin air filter to replace it. But for the 2009 Murano, I can't figure it out and seems like you have to completely remove the glovebox compartment to get to it.

I'd appreciate it for any help regarding this.
I bought a new cabin air filter at Carquest for $12 last weekend. I got on my back with a flashlight in the passenger compartment to do the job. It wasn't that easy, more awkward. I eventually pulled off the side filter lid, got a good grab of the old filter and pulled it out. Squeezed the new one in, snapped on the lid, and done in under 5 minutes. My old filter (a year and a half old) was pretty dirty. It pays to call around for pricing. Carquest and Autozone wanted around $12-$15. NAPA Auto parts quoted me $50 (insane!).

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Argh. Sorry to dig up an old thread. Just got done replacing my filter after 20k miles, was a little dirty but not too bad. Sure wish I would of checked the forums before I decided to just use the directions in the box. Putting the carpet back on was really annoying! No need to do it as stated earlier.:eek:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In regard to changing the cabin filter on a 2009, 2010, 2011 Murano:

You do not need to remove the carpet panel as instructed in the TYC instructions. If you look closely at your Murano, you will see the opening where the cabin filter is located is not covered by carpet. You will see the black release tab which you push "gently", upwards that releases the cabin air filter cradle door. The TYC instructions are correct otherwise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
THANKS FOR THOSE INSTRUCTIONS!!.
Almost took the carpet and decided to re-read the instructions. Save me a ton of time!!.

One question I have. I bought the OEM nissan filter for 17 bucks. The filter did not have any arrow directions. Does it really matter? I put the OEM filter with the nissan words pointing to the engine.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
THANKS FOR THOSE INSTRUCTIONS!!.
Almost took the carpet and decided to re-read the instructions. Save me a ton of time!!.

One question I have. I bought the OEM nissan filter for 17 bucks. The filter did not have any arrow directions. Does it really matter? I put the OEM filter with the nissan words pointing to the engine.
Glad the instructions helped! Consider buying non OEM filters say three at a time from an eStore. I pay a $9.72+- for a cabin filter doing this.

I have not used an OEM cabin filter. I would assume it would have an arrow or marking as with all the non-OEM filters there is always a direction of flow arrow. Yes, direction of flow matters. Good idea when old filter is removed to vacuum the cabin filter cradle before install of new filter.

Please take time to read the info in this thread also.. http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009/15706-2009-2011-air-cabin-filter-change-info.html

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I used OEM's the first couple times I replaced the in-cabin filter on my 04 SE (after market filters weren't available way back then), cringing every time I had to pay that $30+ for a little paper filter. The last few years, thankfully, as more and more 1st gen Mos began to need these filters, prices have continued to come down. I'm pretty sure I even saw them in Walmart a couple years ago.

I know both the OEM and after markets filters are uni-directional. Maybe the 2nd gens are different, but I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
13 Participants
Monaru
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing