Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After passing through 15K Miles I decided to replace the air filter and the cabin filter.

Both are pretty easy to do but I found a short cut to the cabin filter. The service manual describes how to remove the entire glove box. Prior to doing that I found two hinge points on the gove box with "pins" that can be removed and then you have full access to the cabin filter. The entire process takes less than 5 mintues to do.

Of course after I made that discovery I found that the instructions that came with the cabin filter describe the same procedure I found.

I wonder why the service manual didn't have the easier procedures.

Just thought I would share this with you.

FYI: After 1.5 years and 15K miles, the filter was noticeably dirty, small leaves and pollen. I guess it works pretty well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks, Gonzo!

I'm going to see if this will work for my problem. Last August, I took the glovebox assembly out to install the Sat wiring harness. Of course, I forgot to hookup the wire to the glovebox light when I put it back, and haven't had the heart to take it back apart since. This will give me a chance to check my filter, too. I'm at 22,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been looking to replace my microfilter on the Altima, it's way overdue. I was surprised by the cost of this filter. Geez, you'd think it was made from some rare material.
Anyway, what price levels are you finding for the microfilter? I'm betting it's the same one that the Murano uses. Did anyone locate the filter at some place other than the dealer? I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper elsewhere but don't think they'd bother to carry them due to the limited number they would sell.
Bob1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I wonder if up close and personal vacuuming and even a soak would clean it. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
GripperDon said:
I wonder if up close and personal vacuumning and even a soak would clean it. GRIP :D
I have heard of it being vacuumed...

·
5,100 Posts
Spelling corrected, Idea question is still there, what do you think jaak? GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Its a paper filter, so I doubt it will hold up well if soaked in detergent or solvent. As for vacuuming it out, I guess it might work temporarily, but $25 every 15k miles is not such a big expense anyways.

·
5,100 Posts
You are probably right, However I do soak the paper filter from the "Shark" hand Vac with good results. A little detergent and let it sit for 15 minutes. The dang thing gets dirty every time you use it so I have three. GRIP :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
When over to Courtesyparts and the filter states:

Nissan factory replacement In-Cabin Micro Filter. Installation instructions are not included.

Wonder why no instructions? Where did you get yours?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I actually ordered a microfilter from Courtesy and it came with instructions - in Japanese. The pictures though, were easy enough to follow.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
wonder if we can somehow get a procedure (in english) with Pix, using the "pins" and put it up as a sticky?

Homer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MO Dale said:
Thanks, Gonzo!

I'm going to see if this will work for my problem. Last August, I took the glovebox assembly out to install the Sat wiring harness. Of course, I forgot to hookup the wire to the glovebox light when I put it back, and haven't had the heart to take it back apart since. This will give me a chance to check my filter, too. I'm at 22,000 miles.
IF you do the short method you will not have acess to the light.. you will have to remove the glove box to do that. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
OK, all this microfilter chatter inspired me tonight. I have both the Mo and the Altima in the garage and it's in the middle of a thunderstorm. I decide I can only get to the Altima tonight due to door logistics. I pulled the two black pull pins that secured the glovebox down at the bottom.
I had to get my head down there underneath by the floor mats to see what I was doing. Very easy, no tools, just give em a gentle yank.
Pins were out in a minute. The Glovebox was left dangling by some wire, not electric but something that, I dunno, serves as the retract for the glovebox door. The owners book said let it dangle, so I did. There is a black door box on the firewall that houses the filter, it needed some force to pop the latches.
Did not need any tools, just pulled on the latch really hard and I was afraid it would break, no sweat, they both opened. The filter was very easy to remove. I gotta say, I am underwhelmed at this flimsy paper constructed filter. 25 bucks for this? Don't think it should cost more they 75 cents. Anyway, it looked too flimsy to soak, I was afraid it would fall apart. It was dirty but not filthy.
I put the shop vac to it and it looks OK for now. Think I'll get a new one as soon as the dreaded 2 week pine pollen season in April is over.
The Altima has 36K on her. I thought it would be worse. I won't worry if I'm a little late changing the MO's filter.
I hope the MO is just as easy as this was.
Bob1

·
5,100 Posts
bob1

Way to Go ! Maybe a buck tops. GRIP :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gonzo said:

IF you do the short method you will not have acess to the light.. you will have to remove the glove box to do that. Sorry.
Yeah, I found that out. The light is too far forward and there's no room to reach behind either. So, I took the whole thing out, plugged in the light.

I also pulled the filter to vaccuum. It's getting pretty dark. So, time for a new one. I'm with Bob1 on the value of the filter. What a cheapo! It does do it's job, but Nissan must have a 3000% markup on this fine item!

·
Registered
309 Posts
bob1 said:
I gotta say, I am underwhelmed at this flimsy paper constructed filter. 25 bucks for this? Don't think it should cost more they 75 cents.
I agree, I cannot imagine the cabin filter being much different that a regular air filter and you can get those for under $5. I guess it's the whole new concept, so charge a premium thing. There needs to be some aftermarket parts ... hello Fram, et al.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob, the MO is just as you described... same exact procedure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Bob, the MO is just as you described... same exact procedure.

Thanks Gonzo, it was so easy to do the Altima, it should be no problem to do the MO.
People, take my word for it, you can do this yourself. About a year ago someone posted some ridiculous price the dealer would charge.
Anyone can do this in a few minutes. Piece a cake!

Look at this post from Aug-2004. Geez Louise! What a rip at the dealer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey MOer's,
I have posted the instructions on my member gallery.....check it out.
I want all the DIY 's to stand up and fight back the dealerships outrageous prices....they where going to charge me $90.00 to install this it took me a whole 30 min to do.

The filter cost $29.95 on www.leeauto.com

Good luck DIY 's

Rich

Here is that original thread.
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=880&highlight=microfilter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Adding to the step...

Before you put in that new microfilter, buy a can of odorless lysol (or disinfectant), then spray the inside of the filter housing with lots of it. Then spray a bit of that lysol on the new microfilter.
Then put in that microfilter. Install the glove box back.
Then, crank the heater on high, circulation mode, for 5 min.

These steps will dry out the entire filtration system from mold and meldews. You wont have that 'pee-smell' when summer comes and you turn on your a/C for the 1st time. I did this all the time in my other cars. A tip given by a mechanic friend of mine when I was still at school..

1 - 20 of 211 Posts