Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a thread here about calling Zenrin about the avoid area. I explained:

"The Avoid Area funcationality stopped working the moment I upgraded to the latest DVD for my 2003 Murano."

"That's not related to the navigation data. That's a hardware problem."

"It worked right up until I updated the system using the programming CD that came with the updated DVD. Its software."

"Its a problem with the hardware. I've seen it before with the Detour function not working."

"This is not a problem with Detour. Its the Avoid Area. Now, I want to know if this is a known problem and if you're working on it for the next release."

"No we're not working on it, because its a problem with the hardware."

"You're not listening to me. You never even heard of this until I just called you about it. The system worked perfectly until I applied your 6.2 update. Now it routes me right through Avoid Areas and doesn't warn me when I'm approaching Avoid Areas anymore."

"Well, you can buy another update and if it still doesn't work, you have 30 days to return it."

"What?!? Your last update broke my system! I'm not going to buy another one just to see if you fixed a problem that you're not even working on! I want to notify you of this problem and have you start working on it. I know its not a problem with the navigation data, it has to with the updated software."

"I have demo hardware here. What's the **exact** starting address you entered when you tried to use the Avoid Area."

"I have several Avoid Areas and it doesn't work for any of them, no matter where I go. Enter Yardley, PA."

"I need an **exact** address, sir."

"Fine {insert home address}. Enter Debary, FL as the destination."

"Sir, that's too far for the system to calculate. No wonder it doesn't work!"

"Change the starting point to Santee, SC where I stayed in a hotel to split up the trip."

"And what do you want to avoid?"

"International Speedway Blvd and Route 95 in Daytona Beach, Florida" (I mentioned that because that's one I could guarantee would be on the route, and it is the last avoid area that failed to work for me)

He took my name & number, and said he's going to call me back with anything he finds. I mentioned that there are more people here that have this same problem, so lets be prepared to get together for a mass calling to tell them there's an issue. Even if you bought an '04, please try to use the Avoid Area function, and let's see if it will indeed honor your Avoid Areas.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Somedays it seems like we're always pulling teeth to get things to work right.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just pissed that the guy was so dismissive off the bat. "That's a hardware problem." "Everything worked fine until I applied your update. Its a software problem."

I used to work at one of those IT support sweat shops where it was always "not our fault" so I had a leg up on his tactics. If we can get enough people to fax an executive, then maybe, just maybe someone will take action. We do have to give them time to handle this, though, and see what they come up with.

I'm only sorry I didn't take the guy's name or a ticket number if they even have such a thing. Who knows, this may have to go all the way to the attorney general. That's usually what it takes to get these foreign-run companies to listen. One guy started proceedings to file an injunction against my former PC mfgr employer. They were a short time away from not being allowed to sell PCs in the state of ohio (including via PC magazines).

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem acknowledged!!!

GREAT NEWS!!

I already heard back from Zenrin! I believe the guy's name was Naraj. He said he called the engineering manager and they are aware that it is an ongoing problem. He went on to thank me for bringing it to their attention, and that they are definitely working on a fix now.

I reminded him that I initially called because I want a free upgrade when the problem is fixed. He took my number and address down, so hopefully someone will be getting in touch with me with progress. I said, "$180 is a lot of money to spend only to have it break things." He agreed.

So that's it for now. They know its a problem. '03ers don't upgrade your DVDs until we know that a fix has been developed and released. For you '04ers, I don't know what they'll do since your units shipped with missing functionality.

I'm still in shock that they called back so quickly! and with a Thank You!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Problem acknowledged!!!

EasternPA said:
'03ers don't upgrade your DVDs until we know that a fix has been developed and released.
Thanks for taking this on, and please keep us informed! I got the NAV system with my '03 Murano and love it, but I've deliberately not upgraded the DVD because of (1) the price and (2) the fact that the upgrade broke some of the functionality. I had planned to upgrade in October, but I'll wait until I hear more from y'all!

Jeff

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I had to upgrade for the cross country trip back on Memorial Day. They upgraded the status of a few states we were planning to drive through to include door-to-door routing, which of course, comes in handy when you're trying to find a hotel after driving for 10 hours.

But seriously, if you rely upon the avoid area function to route you around known trouble spots, don't upgrade yet. If the upgraded street data outweighs your need to be able to avoid trouble areas, then that's up to you!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 04' and the NAV does allow me to avoid areas. The only problem is that I drive from Virginia Beach to Rochester, NY a lot. I know the quickest way but the NAV doesn't even suggest the route I take. I log on to MAPQUEST, and it suggests the route I use.... It's like asking 10 people the same question and getting 10 different answers. And just what is "Time Restricted Roads" ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Zenrin's site notes that the 6.2 version of the DVD is sold out and that a 6.3 version will be out in October of this year. Based on my limited experience with software companies, they tend NOT to fix problems with "outdated" software, but merely suggest that you get the updated version. I hope that's not the case here. I may try to use my "avoid area" feature on my '04 Murano to see if it works (never have used it). Just my luck, it will be ANOTHER little thing that's wrong with my Mo, like the rattles and the sunroof - all little things that detract from the overall GOOD ownership experience.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barcode,

Hmm.. i could have sworn I saw an '04 owner whose Avoid Area doesn't work. Do you have an early '04 or late? I wonder which version of the DVD you have. Perhaps you can eject your DVD and check it out? I upgraded 6.1 to 6.2 and that's when it broke.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tried it once, didn't work.

I tried the avoid area feature for the first time a few weeks ago when going on a trip to Hershey, PA but it didn't seem to work. This was the first time I ever tried the feature so I'm not quite sure I did it correctly, I'll try it later tonight and see if it works. Oh yeah, I got the 04 SL ....

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Zeddic, nice to see you on here again!

You'd know if you did it correctly by seeing a number appear on screen in a blue square at the center of a green checkerboard area. Basically, the nav is not supposed to route you through the green checkerboarded area. You do have the option of indicating whether or not that avoidance is to include the highways in the area -- in case you don't mind driving through a bad part of town but only on the highways. So even if you saw the green checkerboard and the nav routed you right through it, that may have been due to not selecting "include highways".

I often (well, used to) used the map function when choosing areas to avoid. That way you can zoom in and out to the appropriate level and even then you have two zoom levels to choose from when indicating the actual area to avoid.

Something to try is to setup an avoid area near your office. Without even activating a route to take you to the office, the nav is supposed to warn you when you are driving towards an area to avoid. If you just drive right through the green checkerboard without a peep from the nav warning you of what you're about to do, then its definitely b0rked.

Since upgrading, my nav ignores my avoid areas when setting up routes and no longer warns me when I drive towards and right through avoid areas. :3:

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Avoid Area working again?!?!

I'm at a loss for words. After calling Zenrin at the beginning of this thread, and getting a return call within a couple hours saying it is a known problem and is being worked on, I got another call from Zenrin last week. I returned the call today, and they are back to saying that they are unable to replicate the problem. I agreed to provide excruciating details, and actually needed the Avoid Area on the way home from the city today. I could see a bridge I take was jammed while I was sitting at a nearby red light, so I quickly covered the center of the span as an Avoid Area and.... the reroute was successful?!?!? WHAT? There is another bridge right alongside the toll road I take and the reroute sent me over the alternate bridge! I wanted to take another bridge farther up the Delaware, so I blocked that one, too.... and it worked!!!!

When I got home, I setup a route to Dover, DE, and then added an avoid area that took out a bridge on route 95 just above Philly airport, recalcuated and....... it worked again!! I repeated it again, maybe four or five more times, taking out more areas and forcing the reroutes, and it worked each time. I know I'm not crazy, and I know I've seen Nancy setup routes right through avoid areas. Blue line through the center of a green checkerboard. Its hard to miss. Numerous times.

I'm stunned right now. Like I said, I'm at a loss for words. My avoid area is working fine. I also found out yesterday that residents in my area who were fighting the replacment of a 185-acre farm with a shopping mall have won. That's two huge monkeys off my back in two days.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Damn boose! :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
FYI...Zenrin has now released version 6.3 of the nav software. Cost to upgrade is $185. Shipping is free until December 31.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts