Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my 05 Murano suddenly slowed down with engine brake on highway for a few seconds and restarted by itself. Later at a traffic light, the engine died again just as the light turned green. I was able to restart it and drove to a parking lot. A quick check with OBD shows the code P0340, aka. camshaft position sensor, bank 1. Ordered a new part and replaced it, no more problem.

What bothers me is why Nissan engineers designed the ECM (or whatever is responsible) to shut off the engine. There are two camshaft position sensors, so knowing the position of one, the ECM knows the position of the other. It can simply ignore the bad one and maintain normal operation (with DTC light). In fact, there is triple redundancy if you also count the crankshaft position sensor since all three shafts are precisely coupled by the timing chain. Shutting off the engine on highway is very dangerous. There are other mechanisms to raise owner's attention that there is a problem. For example, limiting the throttle opening could be one, limiting the speed, another. That's my rant.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I can't argue with you. I suspect it has something to do with protecting the valves on an interference engine, but your logic seems sound to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Pilgrim
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing