Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new user here also, but I’m having a misfire on cylinder 5 I cannot solve for some reason (only code the car is showing) . I’ve changed all plugs with ngk iridium’s and changed out ignition coils with oem replacements. They did have a bit of carbon buildup on them after I changed them. I’ve also had my injectors tested and cleaned, everything checked out to be fine. My next step is to do a compression test on cylinder 5. Gas mileage is horrible but it starts and drives fine besides the misfire. Anybody have this issue before? I’ve had 3 different vq35 cars and this murano is the worst of them all since I’ve had it. I also changed the pcv a week after I bought the car since it was bad causing a smoke show on startup 232k miles on the clock so far

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hey guys, new user here also, but I’m having a misfire on cylinder 5 I cannot solve for some reason (only code the car is showing) . I’ve changed all plugs with ngk iridium’s and changed out ignition coils with oem replacements. They did have a bit of carbon buildup on them after I changed them. I’ve also had my injectors tested and cleaned, everything checked out to be fine. My next step is to do a compression test on cylinder 5. Gas mileage is horrible but it starts and drives fine besides the misfire. Anybody have this issue before? I’ve had 3 different vq35 cars and this murano is the worst of them all since I’ve had it. I also changed the pcv a week after I bought the car since it was bad causing a smoke show on startup 232k miles on the clock so far
You've verified that the ignition coil and fuel injector are getting power and ground, correct? If so, a compression test would be the next thing to do. You can try pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine over to see if you hear a cylinder skipping (i.e. evidence of large compression loss).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've verified that the ignition coil and fuel injector are getting power and ground, correct? If so, a compression test would be the next thing to do. You can try pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine over to see if you hear a cylinder skipping (i.e. evidence of large compression loss).
they have power and ground yes, I shocked the sh!t out of myself doing it so I knew it was fine, I even swapped the coils over, unplugged the injector for that cylinder and the miss still was on cylinder 5. Fuel pressure checked out fine also. I’m gonna try that method you mentioned tomorrow morning and see. Hopefully I don’t have to replace the engine

·
Administrator
9,841 Posts
Check the compression wet and dry (look that up if needed) and let us know what you find on #5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the compression wet and dry (look that up if needed) and let us know what you find on #5.
Cylinder number 5 is down on compression all the other cylinders were pretty good surprisingly, I forgot to actually update this thread. I had the numbers written down but I lost the paper. I’m definitely not happy about it but it still cranks up a tad bit laggy and run so I’m jus gonna send it

·
Administrator
9,841 Posts
Data point: A moderate difference in compression won't cause misfires.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah so how much down is it?
Like were all the others 150 and the number 5 say about 130? That is fine and should run okay, not super good and shows some problem maybe going on but should not cause a miss.
Shouldn't need paper to remember that. The above numbers are from a compression test I did over a month ago, only it was number 6 that was 130, and not a nissan engine.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You can try running the engine in near-dark conditions and moving around the wire harness and connection for #5 to see if there's a spark arcing outside the wire and causing the misfire. Not the easiest of cylinders to look at and manipulate, but it's not the worst. Hopefully, you still have the cowl off for better access and visibility. An inspection mirror might come in handy in this situation. At around 220,000 miles on my 2003, I ended up re-wrapping all the ignition wires with electrical tape due to extensive cracking and peeling of the original wrapping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts