Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I

1) Stop the drivers seat from moving around every time I touch the key?

2) Find a way to make the dash lights turn on with the headlights and off when the headlights get turned off instead of the other way around? This is so ridiculous it amazes me. The dash lights are their brightest when the headlights are off. Then they are equal or dimmer when the lights are on.

3) Stop the climate system from nannying me to death. Like it switches to recycled air whenever I have air going to the defrost vents. I have to trick it every time, set it to some other vent, set it to fresh air, then switch it back to defrost vent. Then if I blink it switches back to recycle. So annoying to have this nanny crap.

4) Make the CVT not drag when I am going down steepish hills. I have to throw it in neutral every time I go down a hill to keep the revs down.

5) Otherwise its a great car and I enjoy it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1. Yes, it's in your setup on the screen to turn off seat exit/entry assist.

2. Wear sunglasses :2:

3. Roll windows down. (don't know any other way on this one)

4. I tap the accelerator when going down hill to trick the tranny into thinking I want to go faster. Just a light tap and it takes off. Or you could shift it into manual mode (SE model) and up shift it yourself.

5. Best SUV out there!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
1) The exit/entry sytem can be disabled using set-up....unless you are talking about rocking chair syndrom for which there is a TSB.

2) That is the right way. When HD are off you probably have sunlight and you know how difficult it is to read the dash if it is dimm? For night driving though you can control how bright you want them to be.

3) I do it the same way. No way around nanny MO!

4) I think the engine drag is a good safety feature but you can bypass it by tapping the gas pedal. In other cars, Honda for instance, tranny locks into the same gear it was in when going downhill, to prevent runaway and excessive use of the brakes. Tapping the gas pedal there also makes it change to a higher gear.

5) I agree.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
What's wrong with high revs while going down a hill?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Pismo10-

The MO's HVAC system is pretty smart. The reason it defaults to RECIRCULATE mode when the DEFROSTER is selected is because that is the best way to clear fog from the inside of the glass. It turns on the A/C to cool and dehumidify the air to assist in clearing the glass. It also clears frost from the outside glass better because the limited volume of interior cabin air can be heated quicker than the ambient air.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
In your list I can only relate to the climate system.... I've not gotten a technique to work around it but while in the hot months I just let let it do its thing.

If you press AUTO and then press "fresh" that will over ride the system and it will not reset back to recirc even if it wants to.

I personally love the "downshift" when going down a hill.

Good luck, the MO is not your fathers car. :4:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
njjoe said:
Pismo10-

The MO's HVAC system is pretty smart. The reason it defaults to RECIRCULATE mode when the DEFROSTER is selected is because that is the best way to clear fog from the inside of the glass. It turns on the A/C to cool and dehumidify the air to assist in clearing the glass. It also clears frost from the outside glass better because the limited volume of interior cabin air can be heated quicker than the ambient air.

-njjoe
I understand why they think I need nannying but I don't. I have to disagree, the MOs HVAC system is WEAK and very poorly designed. All nanny features should be able to be overridden. The AC can barely keep up on an 80 degree day, I am not looking forward to a 100 degree day. I am glad I held out for a tan interior. I guess I will have to keep tricking it into doing what I want. What a pain. I would infinitely prefer a manual system that I don't have to nanny.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So dash lights on extra high bright in the middle of the day with the headlights off is considered "normal and correct" by Nissan and cannot be fixed? This is the most amazing/ridiculous design oversight I have seen in the Murano yet.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Pismo10-

Have your A/C system checked. The MOs HVAC is capable of cooling the cabin in 100 degree heat, as many forum members can attest to.

Last year I was in stop and go traffic with the outside temp at 100 degrees, and the inside remained a relatively cool 75. Of course the HVAC fan was running full bore, but it did it's job.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Pismo10 said:

I understand why they think I need nannying but I don't. I have to disagree, the MOs HVAC system is WEAK and very poorly designed. All nanny features should be able to be overridden.
All nanny features can be overridden. Just don't press the auto button and set desired settings. Simple. (OK some nanny stuff still occurs... but not too much.)

You have to remember that the majoiry of users need nanny (like my wife and those drivers that are driving around on a cold dry winter day with their windows fogged up).

Along with the downsifting you must also hate the CVT in general... it is constantly performing nanny duties. I take it you will never use the AUTO headlight feature either... me too.

At least the MO doens't have auto locking doors. (after the SB is applied) :2:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Pismo10 said:

Wasteful, unnecessaary, annoying. Once again nannying that should be able to be overridden.
I don't think you fully understand how it works. When you coast down a hill and you are completely off the gas, there is no gas being burned in the engine at all. The wheels are keeping the engine turning and no gas is being wasted.

If you shift to neutral, the engine now has to keep itself running, and you are now wasting gas to do that.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
If you shift to neutral, the engine now has to keep itself running, and you are now wasting gas to do that.
Not to mention you will also have to apply brakes to maintain speed, plus if for some reason your engine shuts down, you will lose both power steering and power brake. In otherwords, I can understand you would want to have control, but for most, that may actually create a potentially dangerous situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pismo10 said:
So dash lights on extra high bright in the middle of the day with the headlights off is considered "normal and correct" by Nissan and cannot be fixed? This is the most amazing/ridiculous design oversight I have seen in the Murano yet.
This is how my Tahoe lights work. When I run the daylight running lights the dash is brighter than with night time headlights on. The thinking here (and I agree) is if they are too bright they become distracting and reduce your night time vision. They are brighter during the day to overcome the daytime sunlight and glare. I suppose if don't like it, you could always adjust the brightness each time you drive?!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Rear view camera when not in reverse.

Yes it can be done.

Get the service manual donload, study the location of the rear camera controller, schematics, etc.

You will quickly see where to add a single pole double throw switch that will enable normal operation of allow you to hook up a "False input signal" to replace the input control signal that is only present when in reverse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tyler_Canada said:

I don't think you fully understand how it works. When you coast down a hill and you are completely off the gas, there is no gas being burned in the engine at all. The wheels are keeping the engine turning and no gas is being wasted.

Aaaaaaaaa, no, an engine turning 3000rpm is consuming equal or probably more gas that one at idle. More air flow past mass sensor yields more gas to maintain fuel/air ratio. Unless Nissan has developed something to kill the injection in this exact situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Rear view camera when not in reverse.

GripperDon said:
Yes it can be done.

Get the service manual donload, study the location of the rear camera controller, schematics, etc.

You will quickly see where to add a single pole double throw switch that will enable normal operation of allow you to hook up a "False input signal" to replace the input control signal that is only present when in reverse.
Thank you very much, this sounds great, I will certainly look into it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This blasted HVAC system is so bad. Now I have noticed you cannot switch to recirc air without it automatically turning on the AC. I am cruising down the road on fresh floor vents only, about to enter a tunnel so want recirc, I press recirc and the AC turns on, When I press the AC to turn it off the nannying takes over and wont let me turn it off. Sooo its fresh or recirc with AC, no choice. POS. Has there been a recall on this HVAC system yet, it really blows. I would love to get in and reprogram this thing. Basically turn off all the automatic nannying. I am constantly having to nanny my HVAC system to keep it doing what I want it to do which is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts