Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has something to do with traction control and my Murano has this feature. There is a button on the left side of the dash (down low) that says VDC Off. How do you know if it is off or if it is on? There is no "ON" button. It doesn't say anywhere. Is it automatically engaged unless I do something? Does that mean I have been driving with it on all summer? Does that matter? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first winter with the car and there are a lot of features I know nothing about.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Suggest A lot of reading of the manual and the forum

Not trying to be difficult, trying to actually be helpful. It is the only way to truly learn about the MO. the search feature is very good for finding previously posted info. If you plan on keeping the car a while you can buy and down load the factory manual very inexpensively at the Nissan Web site.

The Mo has so many electronic features it is hard to learn them all in just a short time.

My Mo's were FWD and they is a different animal than a FWD. each has it's own characteristics.

Some of the folks here have done quite a bit with the FD and the VDC and off road driving. You will most likely get some specific answers to your questions.

But reading is the real key, to get information, Add that to your own experiences with the Mo and then you will have knowledge and finally after some time you will be a wise old Mo-er.

In the mean time Gonzo or Jack or Kris or Eric will be the best source for non reading answers.

Good luck with the your new Mo, it is a truly unique and neato Vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I actually went that route first. I pulled out the manual and it has a very short paragraph about VDC. It really gave me no useful information at all. That's why I'm turning to the experts here.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Hi Ella, congratulations on your purchase!

I believe it stands for Vehicle Dynamic Control system. When an onboard computer connected to a gyro detects that the car is entering a slide, it will apply any combination of the four brakes to help return the car to a controllable situation. I've had it apply when driving too fast through sharp curves when the road is slick.

Not sure if you like to take your vehicles to the "edge of the envelope" performance-wise.. or if you enjoy the feeling of a car that is just about to slide completely out of control, but as you pass through that environment, VDC is designed to recover and bring the car back under control. I would suggest waiting for icy conditions and figuring out what it feels like a massive, wide open parking lot, and definitely not on the road.

A number of us drive a little nutsy around here, and can tell the difference between VDC and ABS, if you need further description.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
There is a light on the instrument panel that tells you VDC is off. On the '03, it is at the bottom of the tach.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation but just one more question. Is it OK to drive in dry road conditions if the "VDC Off" light is not illuminated in the dashboard? I assume if that light is not there then the VDC is automatically on? I've been driving that way all summer, hope I didn't screw anything up (like my transmission)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Unlike AWD lock, you always want VDC to be on at all times to protect you. The "off" button is there for you to use in cases where VDC is going to give you trouble. For instance, some members have reported that on ice and snow, while trying to climb up a hill, and when the wheels slip, the VDC thinks the car maybe out of control and starts to apply the brakes. In cases such as that you want to turn it off. Otherwise leave it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts