so bought a 2005 Nissan Murano maybe 2
and a half weeks ago. They put new
alternator in, something else, and a new
transmission. (Transmission really does look
new and the power it has is awesome and the
pull it's good). She tells us that it is throwing a
code for the speed senor and that on take off
after its warmed up it has a little hesitation to
it. So I'm thinking hell yeah cheap fix right!
(Boy was I ever wrong!) Amazon 18 bucks.
Bam done ordered and received and put in.
Great now to test drive it.... Still same thing
so I plug my code reader into the car itself
and there it is throwing speed senor code.
Well they have a recall on the air flow intake
so I get that fixed by the dealership. Well
check engine light is still on so I'm looking at
my code scanner again and well now its
throwing off air mass sensor and step motor!
So still on take off still a little bit hesitation
but sometimes can feel it taking a little longer
than before. So I buy the mass air flow senor
its 21.00 dollars get it on still same thing by
this time I'm getting a little frustrated!
So now I go and order the step motor
for it that's 46.00 dollars. Well got it today.
Get that on and guess what hesitation no
more problem fixed right!!!! Maybe in my
wildest dreams but not today...... Now my
transmission ain't changing gears. It won't get
out of first gear..... (Not throwing any codes
now.) Did I not put in enough fluid? WHY? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
OUT PLEASE! I REALLY LIKE THE CAR BUT
SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE!!!!! I CAN'T

KEEP SINKING MONEY INTO IT......

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Your problem was buying that 1st gen with known hesitation issue and CEL. Check for vacuum leaks but I think that you may need a different transmission sooner or later. Put back the old stepper motor and hopefully it takes you back to a more driveable car? Then check for transmission codes. Usually done in the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even tho it was reading the step motor was bad. And she had just put in the transmission not even a year ago.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Even tho it was reading the step motor was bad. And she had just put in the transmission not even a year ago.
Yes. It’s been reported here from several members, many moons ago, dealer changing CVTs more than once in a matter of weeks under warranty.

·
Registered
937 Posts
@HammerLisa10 , what is the brand and model of the OBD2 code reader you're using?

Just curious, most can't read Nissan specific TCM CVT codes, like your stepper motor code.

Did your Murano come with a warranty on the car, or at least the new replacement CVT?

You shouldn't need to be replacing parts in a newly installed CVT...

You also mention you were concerned if you put in the correct amount of CVT fluid after the stepper motor replacement. What brand of CVT fluid did you use? Was it Nissan type NS2? The fluid level is critical I would think, what procedure did you use to be sure it's at the correct level?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It came with no warranty the warranty for the new cvt had just went out but they didnt have Nissan do it they ordered the transmission from Nissan dealership but had a license mechanic who they know personally put it in. I only know what they tell me. This is my first Nissan I've owned in my life honestly. But I put in the NS2 fluid thankfully I seen that somewhere in all my research. But I didnt know about the cooler hose. Recently found this out. But I e also heard about having to it having to relearn everything again. Is this true? Is there some procedure on how to do any of this? And the reader I have is phone my phone company honestly it tells me the codes that I have mentioned above.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's likely that the replacement CVT requires firmware update to work properly with your Murano. Presumably the license mechanic would know this and performed the update...

You may want to visit a Nissan dealership to have them check whether the CVT replacement was done properly, as well as diagnose the other issues you've encountered...

How much did you pay for your 2005 Murano with a new CVT and alternator?

How many miles does it have on it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has 141,025 miles on it and I know the girl personally and sold it for 1750.00 to me because she has another vehicle and she is a dingy blonde. Well worse than them really. But it's been to the dealership here in rome ga and them fuckers won't even put a fuse in without charging you out your ass for it. So I wouldn't even take my pinto there (if I owned one lol) I have a ford fusion love the car but kids are getting there license and needed another vehicle is the only reason I bought this one.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A CVT replacement generally runs around 5-6 thousand dollars... It the previous owner sold it to you for $1750, there may have been a reason for it...

You really need to have it properly diagnosed by someone who is knowledgeable with Nissan CVTs.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
A CVT replacement generally runs around 5-6 thousand dollars... It the previous owner sold it to you for $1750, there may have been a reason for it...

You really need to have it properly diagnosed by someone who is knowledgeable with Nissan CVTs.
This is correct. You can assume that for $1750 you didn't get a new CVT. At best you got a rebuilt one, but more likely you got a used one out of a wrecked vehicle. I don't think you are getting good info, and a dealer's service unit may be able to help give you better info.

Any part should have some warranty on the part itself. Used transmissions from wrecking yards normally have a 30-day warranty on the transmission, but not on labor.

Normal cost for a used transmission is around $2000-$3000, and labor to install it is another $2000 or so. (I have had this done.) The numbers you are giving us don't add up.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the numbers I'm telling you is the numbers I had to give all I know is all I've been told. Wish I knew more but I don't. I don't understand how changing a step motor replacement could even make the tranny stay in low gear anyways .

·
Registered
937 Posts
We believe your numbers. All we're saying is the original owner just spent 2 or 3 times more money replacing the CVT and alternator than what they sold it to you for. It was probably because there continue to be problems, and they gave up trying to resolve them... You were aware of problems when you bought it, and hoped you could correct them without spending too much more, a gamble...

I believe the stepper motor plays a part in changing gears... Did you replace the stepper motor yourself, or did you have a mechanic do it?

What is the name of the app on your phone that reads OBD2 codes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I replaced myself that was easy to easy to take to a shop and I just use the obd from my phone company metro idk the name of it specifically. But I ordered another one. Should be in soon. But yes after the replacement of the stepper motor it stopped the hesitation on start off from a red light. But just stays in low gear. Someone told me that I would have to retrain it? Is this so? The person I bought it from they are good ppl and very trust worthy. They also believe in keeping their vehicles up on everything. But you only know a person as much as they allow you to know them.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Okay, now I think I understand what you're referring to regarding your phone company Metro T-Mobile providing OBD2 trouble codes. They have a OBD2 dongle called MetroSMART Ride.

That's a new one for me. It nice that it can report Nissan TCM codes, as you mentioned it reporting P1778.

You may want to check out some of the stuff from this forum search for "stepper motor", and a Google search for P1778:

P1778 - Google Search

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done so much research on each and every part that I have mentioned above lmao. Call me whatever but I like to know exactly what I'm getting into and I want to know how it works and why it's there and everything else. I could probably tell you everything you need to know when it comes to a cvt transmission. The only thing I really don't understand about this whole situation is i can go and get in and drive and on take off it's perfect now can't ask for a better car it's just not getting out of first gear now. But I'm going to go and check out what u have found for me and see where that gets me. Cause I'm in love with it overall just not loving it right now I guess u can say.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So got my OBD2 in today.... YAY!!!! (Sorry like a little kid at christmas when I get new toys I mean tools) so I cleaned the codes off properly using the OBD2 and the step motor p01778 is now off thankfully...... Very happy about that. But the code p0113 is still on. Now I have changed the mass air flow sensor already once and understand completely that its very possible that it could've been a faulty sensor. But is there another senor on the vehicle that's I'm unaware of that would throw off this code?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Are you saying your CVT is now changing gears ratios after clearing the p01778 error code? Did you do anything else to your CVT?

What is the brand name and model of OBD2 code reader you just bought?

Reactions: HammerLisa10

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I haven't drove it yet haven't had time been driving the faithful Ford. But no I haven't done nothing else. It's just not reading the p01778 code. Only the p0113 code for the air intake temperature sensor I think that's what the code is for...... But this is the first time the p01778 code has been off and not came back up....

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'd focus on resolving your CVT error first. If it can't be resolved, you have a problem that will cost more to resolve than your Murano is worth... Take it for a drive and let us know.

What is the brand name and model of OBD2 code reader you just bought?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts