Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Murano - can it use the E85 fuel (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) or does some modification need to take place first on the fuel system.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wilecoyote_1998-

The following excerpt is from the FAQ section of the Nissan-Australia website:

Can my vehicle run on fuel containing ethanol?

Nissan vehicles manufactured from 1 January 2004 onwards are capable of operation on ethanol blends up to E10 (10% ethanol), providing the following conditions are met:

The fuel used (including ethanol-blend) meets the requirements of the Australian Fuel Quality Standards,
A credible history of servicing as per Nissan's recommended service schedule can be shown, and
Blending of the ethanol component to the petroleum component of the fuel has been properly made for example at a fuel refinery (ie there is no "splash"-blending of the fuel).
For Nissan vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 2004, Although capable of operation on ethanol-blended ULP, Nissan does NOT recommend the use of ethanol-blended fuel in these vehicles.

I think the short answer to your question is NO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
The answer is a big NO! Ethanol is corrosive, and the engine must be built specifically to deal with that aspect. Murano engines aren't...yet.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Obviously from the responses above, the answer is no. As a general rule, Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFV) can use alternative fuels like E85, usually with a large decrease in fuel economy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Question?

Hawaii costco the gas is mixed 10% with Ethanol.
Is this safe for Murano, is it corrosive to engine system?
State of HI is trying to mix all gas with Ethanol.
If it's not safe for car, why would they try to push it.
Huge liabilities...?

NZM

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nizmo-

As I stated in an earlier post to wilecoyote_1998, all Nissan vehicles manufactured from January 2004 onwards are capable of operation on ethanol blends up to E10 (10% ethanol). The 10% ethanol blend available at CostCo is safe for your MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
F.Y.I.

Ethanol and methanol are two distinct alcohols with different characteristics. They are by no means interchangeable.

Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) is a poisonous, flammable liquid that is corrosive to aluminum. It is this last quality that makes it unsuitable for most vehicles. Methanol is used in many race cars because it is less flammable than gasoline, so therefore it is safer in that specific application.

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol) is non-poisonous and non-corrosive. Ethanol is the alcohol found in beer, wine and liquor. The largest single use of ethanol is as a motor fuel and fuel additive.

Nissan limits blended gasolines to either 5% methanol or 10% ethanol.

-njjoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dig some articles about Ethanol~
Some say Ethanol can burn 30% faster than gas?
Is this true? Looks like 10% mix should be ok, but anything more you may have to do more engine maintanances (see below)

So, let say gallon of gas is $3.55 and Costco gas w/10% Ethanol mix is $3.30. What is the benefit in terms of performance and $$$ savings in long run...?

Save money on gas w/Ethoanol mix, but may need more frequent fill-up (if above statement is true) and possible extra cost on fuel lines or fuel injectors replacement.

Eventually, Ethanol is way to go before Hydrogen (long term solution, trillions of dollars to upgrade).

But, I'm still wondering what's the benefit of savings $$$ on your pocket. Going gas vs. gas w/Ethanol mix.

NZM

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/06/8367959/?cnn=yes

http://www.wired.com/news/planet/0,2782,67416,00.html?tw=rss.TEK

See the second article quotes "Most of the ethanol produced today is blended into gasoline at 10 percent or sold as E85 (85 percent ethanol), according to Dan Kahn, road test editor at automotive website Edmunds.com. Adding ethanol boosts an engine's performance and enables the blended fuels to meet emissions requirements.

Kahn said nearly all engines powering commercial vehicles can use a 10 percent ethanol blend. He said 20 percent to 30 percent blends would not harm vehicles and could help to extend the supply of petroleum. However, "you may have to replace the fuel lines or fuel injectors more often," according to Kahn"

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nizmo said:
But, I'm still wondering what's the benefit of savings $$$ on your pocket. Going gas vs. gas w/Ethanol mix.
NZM
Nizmo-

Ethanol-blended gasolines actually benefit no one but the corn farmers in the Mid-West. At this point in time you actually use more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than that same gallon of ethanol contains.

There is no financial benefit to the end-user. The average loss of gas mileage with a 10% Ethanol blend is approximately 2%.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You have to live with it though. Most gasoline sold today in the US is 10% ethanol since the last blend switchover.

·
Registered
92 Posts
All this talk about ethanol

So I can run my car on 10% beer/wine/or liquor? Sweet! but will it cause my MO to swerve? Ok enough of the jokes. I see all the tree hugging commercials for ethanol and how it can replace gasoline. So what happens when tornados/fires/locust plaques/or godzilla kill all the corn. Then where do we get the products to produce ethanol? Any huggers think of that?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yorr choice WAS MTBE, a known carcinogen. Thankfully. it's gone now.
Doing the math, for every 10 gallons you sell of ethanol blend, thats one less gallon of gasoline. Good or bad, tree hugger or not, it's 10% less...
Anybody have any better (practical) ideas?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel said:
Doing the math, for every 10 gallons you sell of ethanol blend, thats one less gallon of gasoline. Good or bad, tree hugger or not, it's 10% less...
ekaxel-

Remember, it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than is in the gallon of ethanol. Energy-wise, it is a losing proposition. It's only 10% less if the energy used to produce the ethanol comes from coal, nuclear, or hydroelectric.

-njjoe

·
Registered
77 Posts
njjoe said:

ekaxel-

Remember, it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than is in the gallon of ethanol. Energy-wise, it is a losing proposition.
-njjoe
That's right. And if fossil fuel is used to produce the energy to produce Ethanol, we end up emitting roughly twice the greenhouse gas by using ethanol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts