Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,

I know that our Murano's are AWD, but was wondering IF we could put dedicated Winter Tires on the rear, and All Season tires on the front?
What's the general consensus on this?

Thanks

Irv in Maine, seeking answers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
For an AWD vehicle, all four tires should be the same (with similar tread wear). Even tire rotation can be more important with an AWD car.

If you look at the specs for different tires of the same size (like 235/55R20), you'll notice they often have a different number of rotations per mile. And, rotations per mile will change along with tread wear.

Finding and maintaining a matched set of different models of tires would be much more difficult than buying four like tires. So it's normally not advisable to run winter tires along with all season tires.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Hi Group,

I know that our Murano's are AWD, but was wondering IF we could put dedicated Winter Tires on the rear, and All Season tires on the front?
What's the general consensus on this?

Thanks

Irv in Maine, seeking answers...

This idea is not only no, but oh, PLEASE, no. By running two different types of tires on a AWD like this, you will make the handling and the braking both unpredictable. It would be really easy for the vehicle to come unglued on a slippery surface and spin out or go off the road. Not a safe thing to do. I'm sure people have gotten away with it (and I've gotten away with a lot myself) but not a good idea.

I learned about tire mismatches the hard way when I tried something similar and when I hit the brakes hard, the car spun 180 degrees in about two car lengths. I was going backwards so fast I didn't know how I got there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In addition, as mentioned by @MO can do, AWD cars should ideally have identical tires with similar wear on all fours corners to avoid over stressing the expensive AWD components, as well as interfering with AWD operation. If there is a large difference in tire diameters, the AWD light will blink slowly to warn you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts