Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August I took delivery of my brand new 2004 Silver Nissan Murano SL with the AWD package.

Now, the *only* option according to the dealer that I could get was a sunroof.

Now am I the only one noticing of how much more you can get in the American models? Such as those beautiful Bi-Xenon projector lamps, which here you can only get in the SE model, which I've only seen stickered at $48,000+, and the navigation system, which I know is useless in some areas, but come on.

Now I do realize that the SL AWD in the States has things like the Technology Package, Touring Package, etc.. But what if I don't want leather? But I want Xenon headlights. Well that can be done. In Canada, it can't :(

Any insights, opinions, flames? :)

·
4,601 Posts
Yup, we get things as standard, that are options in the US and we can't get things as options, that are possible in the US. I want 5 spoke wheels with HID's, but that's not possible in Canada.

That's why I didn't get a Canadian SE. I only wanted the HID's and Navigation, and there was no way I was going to pay another $10,000 for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jaak said:
Yup, we get things as standard, that are options in the US and we can't get things as options, that are possible in the US. I want 5 spoke wheels with HID's, but that's not possible in Canada.

That's why I didn't get a Canadian SE. I only wanted the HID's and Navigation, and there was no way I was going to pay another $10,000 for them.
Exactly, I got my 2004 Murano when they were clearing out the models for the '05s. I got it for $38,000. Now considering that the only difference between mine and the SE is Leather, Xenon Headlamps, a transmission that "simulates" gearing, and the memory seats, it's still $10,000 more. Now my Murano stickered for $41,000, that's still an $7000+ difference considering it's $48,000+ average for an SE model and over $52K if you get the optional sat nav. It just didn't seem plausible for so little a difference.

More options please Nissan!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Questions for Canadian, can you actually buy the murano in USA and bring it into..

Canada and not paying import tax?
Any loophole in canadian tax that you can actually use to do this perhaps?

I am just wondering? :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Questions for Canadian, can you actually buy the murano in USA and bring it into.

SugarRushMurano said:
Canada and not paying import tax?
Any loophole in canadian tax that you can actually use to do this perhaps?

I am just wondering? :p
Only resurrecting this because it's certainly applicable now. Don't need any loopholes, just a good exchange rate and terrible Canadian dealer pricing. Both of which we have right now, fortunately or not.

The entire process is rather easy, the only downside is the extra duty (~6%) because the Murano is made in Japan (if it were in North America, no duty). Even with the extra duty, the savings are more than substantial. I read somewhere the Murano is 26% overpriced here compared to the US!

:confused: :eek:

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
SugarRushMurano,
I live on the Ontario/Minnesota border. I’ve talked with customs officials on both sides about importing a Murano.
First, contrary to what Sih mentions, there is no (~6%) additional duty. There is however an importation fee. I can’t recall the figure ( I think it was $250).
Secondly, the Murano must have daytime running lights installed. You have 30 days after you import the car to have this done.
Thirdly, and what is most important, any Nissan purchased new in the US will lose its warranty when it is registered in Canada.
If you have an American friend (or US Resident) who is willing to do the transaction for you, you can have it registered in the US then garage the vehicle for six months and then transfer ownership to you before importing to Canada. You will of course have to have paid the State sales tax (and there is not way to get reimbursed for it), and then pay the PST and GST when you enter Canada. You should after six months be able to depreciate the car some, so there is some savings there. That will allow you to have a valid and honored warranty with Nissan. Of course there are other issues, ie) insurance and storage costs, not to mention paying to have a car in someone else name. Yikes, that’s a large trust issue on a $50,000 CAD item.
I hope that’s a help. My wife and I just ordered an ‘07 SE yesterday. There were just too many issues for my wife to feel comfy working a buy out in the States. I think.... we’re paying a $8,500 premium for buying in Canada.
If you have any more questions I’d be happy to help if I can.
Mark

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
northoftheline-

I see you ordered an '07. When do you expect delivery?

-njjoe

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
njjoe said:
northoftheline-

I see you ordered an '07. When do you expect delivery?

-njjoe
The dealership says the MO will be built in Sept. and here in Oct.
It's going to be a long long long wait for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow a lot of misinformation there. Where did you get all that from? :confused:

Having recently completed the process myself, I'll clarify the points later today with a longer write up of my own experience plus official government links if you still don't believe me. But, yes, you're wrong on nearly each statement you made.

Only the DRL, warranty, and estimated savings part are somewhat correct.

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Sih,

I certainly look forward to being enlightened. Please by all means send as much info as you have. I�m sure there are more than a few Canadians who would gladly purchase a new MO in the States if they knew what the process was. I was quite surprised by your statement that there would be an "extra duty (~6%)." I certainly didn�t have anyone mention that to me at Canada Customs. As for all my misinformation, I�ll be happy to have you explain the actual process. The point of my post was simply to say that the importation was not difficult, but that you would lose the warranty. Here's the link for the pdf sample warranty from the Nissan USA site. http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/warranty/2005_Wrnty.pdf
Also, just a little thank-you for the way you graciously pointed out any errs on my part.
Take care and I hope you don�t have any problems with the new MO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh. I was in a rush and a bunch of that info was wrong.

First, there is a duty fee. Just check the VIN, starts with a J. All Murano's I've seen are made in Japan, hence 6.1% duty. :4: Did whoever you talk to tell you specifically there would be none? Or did they just fail to mention it in the first place? In all my research before I bought mine I found the duty was definitely applicable. Sure enough, at the border I was rightly charged it. A car made in North America would be exempt however. Many people are currently importing specific Subaru models for just that reason. Of course, I'm in AB so I didn't pay PST, so 6% GST plus 6.1% duty on top of that (double tax :mad: ) still left significant savings. The other costs at the border are the ~$200 RIV paperwork fee (fee includes cost of inspection later at Canadian Tire) and ~$100 AC fee.

If you know the process, have your paperwork in advance, and do a little homework the entire affair is very simple. It all took less than an hour and that includes the drive between the two border stations (Canada, USA, Canada) and waiting in line twice.

You're right about the DRL. However, this is a simple matter and you have 45 days, not 30, to do it in. The car also must have KPH gauges to pass inspection (all USA Murano's already will). I'm still in the process of deciding whether I'll ask a local dealer to attempt the DRL through software as has been hinted can be done on this forum. Or, if I'll do a simple rewiring solution myself. Either way it's a minor issue.

You're probably mostly right about the warranty. On paper if a Nissan is bought in either country and registered in the other country prior to 6 months elapsing the warranty is invalidated. I've read conflicting reports on whether or not this is actually the case. The same goes for cars of other manufacturers which are supposed to be expressly covered (Toyota, Subaru, etc.). It seems like it might come down to the individual dealers. It could have a lot to do with one's social skills as well. Unfortunately I have little experience with this yet and would agree your information on this regard seems correct.

If one isn't comfortable with the warranty uncertainty there are still several options available:

-live without it as it's almost certain the initial savings would easily cover any repair out of pocket,

-purchase additional warranty (often even more complete) from a third party,

-try the 6 month deal if you have a USA friend (Not entirely practical. However, a few states have no sales tax (MT being one of them) and so some of the double tax issues can be avoided. Perhaps even lower duties assessed since the car would've technically depreciated.)

In the end, even with the warranty issues the savings are still significant enough (I believe) to warrant a USA purchase. Here's my quick numbers (all in CAD):

$34k - car (SE with almost no options)
$4.5k - taxes and fees
$0.5k - gas, food, hotel (rounding up)

$39k - total :D

Here's some quick links to check out if you haven't seen them already :

www.riv.ca (offical site outlining the import process)

article talking about cost differences

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
even though the canadian muranos are overpriced and under optioned.. there are still a ton of them driving around in our rapidly growing city.

·
Registered
842 Posts
nissanlove said:
even though the canadian muranos are overpriced and under optioned.. there are still a ton of them driving around in our rapidly growing city.
Nissanlove
Same here down in Calgary:2: :2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
it's amazing how many forum members are from alberta.. we should have a meet sometime and maybe drive out to sylvan lake or something in the summer for some laughs and photo ops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
warranty

Here's some of what I was talking about as to how the warranty may indeed be valid :

(from page 7 Infiniti Sample Warranty )

WHO IS THE WARRANTOR
NISSAN warrants all parts of your 2005 Infiniti vehicle supplied
by Nissan, except for those listed under the caption "WHAT IS NOT COVERED".

APPLICABILITY
- This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent owner(s) of an Infiniti vehicle originally distributed by Nissan which is originally sold by a Nissan authorized Infiniti dealership in the United States, and which is registered and normally operated in the United States... {snip} ...and Canada.

I'll likely find out from personal experience soon enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts