Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murano SE or SL?

Hi All,

This is a Canadian Murano specific question, as here in Canada the Murano SE and SL are pretty much as is with no options available.

I'm looking at purchasing a SL AWD, but am wondering if I will regret not getting the SE AWD instead. There is quite the price difference between the two, but so are the options (Leather, VDC, TCS,Power/mem seats. etc).

If the SL owners can share their thoughts as well as SE's, it would be helpfull.

Cube2b

·
Registered
418 Posts
I choose SL because; didn't want leather / prefered SL wheels / wanted slightly "softer" ride / wanted to keep cost down...

·
4,664 Posts
I only wanted two things from the SE, the HID's (the little boy in me wanted them, the halogens have been fine) and the navigation, which is only available in the SE.

One thing I regret not getting is the sun roof as I had it in my Max, and now I miss it on occasion in the Murano.

The rest of it? I like the SL wheels better, and the other toys would be fun to have. But I'm not kicking myself for getting an SL. I'm delighted with it.

Oh and same thing as Senza, I have no problems peeling around corners in the SL and the SE suspension I found too firm, mainly because I do have to take passengers sometimes.

Both are the same vehicle underneath, so you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
844 Posts
SL or SE

I chose the SL as I did not want leather seats( pretty cold at -30C) and I did not believe that the extra $5-6K was worth it. I am quite happy with the ride and drive of the SL. Get the sun roof option though at a $1000 it is a great option especially if you are in the mountains.:2:

·
4,664 Posts
The sun roof is also a great option for emptying the vehicle of hot air on a hot summer day. Although I use the remote and open the front windows a couple of minutes before, if I can.

I had leather in my Maxima. Leather's not too bad in the winter, especially with the seat heaters. (Standard on both models here, eh!)

When I looked at the SE/SL I found the leather to be too plain looking and really liked the look of the cloth. It almost looks a bit like suede.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I have to agree with the leather looking a bit sad. The cloth does look pretty cool, but i'm just fighting the stupid mindset that leather is better. My current car is leather, and it sure did burn this weekend (wearing shorts, and very sunny out).

·
4,664 Posts
U.S. Configurations

SL:
Premium Package - Roof rails, adjustable pedals, Bose audio system, cargo cover and cargo net

Leather Package - Leather-appointed seats, HIDs, memory system for driver's seat, 4-way power passenger's seat and dark-silver colored lower bumpers

Sunroof - Requires SL Premium Package

Chrome Wheels - 18-inch 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheel chrome finish

SE:
Popular Package - Premium Package and Sunroof plus Leather-appointed seats, 4-way power passenger's seat and Memory System for driver's seat, roof rails, adjustable pedals, Bose audio system, cargo cover and cargo net

General:
Cold Package - Heated front seats and outside mirrors
(Requires SL Premium Package, Sunroof and SL Leather Package on SL; requires SE Popular Package on SE)

Dynamic Control Package - Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), Traction Control System (TCS) and Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
(Requires SL Premium Package, Sunroof and SL Leather Package on SL; requires SE Popular Package on SE)

Navigation System - DVD-based with 7.0 -inch monitor
(Requires SL Premium Package, Sunroof, SL Leather Package and Dynamic Control Package on SL; requires SE Popular Package and Dynamic Control Package on SE)

(Requires SL Premium Package, Sunroof and SL Leather Package)

Canadian Configurations

SL - Equivalent to Premium Package, Cold Package, and Sunroof (optional)
SE - Equivalent to Popular Package, Leather Package, Dynamic Control Package, Cold Package, and Navigation System (optional)

Sunroof - Available on both "standard" SL and SE

Based on the 2003 model year. Comments on 2004 are welcome, such as availability of FWD now, in Canada.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I also chose the Canadian SL based on price and comfort and every technical reports I read here recommended the SL for the same reasons. Here in Quebec, the remote starter is much more a necessity than the leather seats.

I however included the sunroof and never regretted it yet. Unless it is very hot or jammed in traffic or on the phone, I prefer to ride with the roof wide opened. It gets me a nice tan and I tend to ride slower with the roof opened, a very nice and economical way to save on gas and tickets! :)

I have yet to understand why I can sometimes close it and remove the key while it is closing and some other times it simply stops closing before closing completely. Gadgets...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think that after you turn off the car you have a few seconds to close windows and the sun roof as long as you don't open a door.

Or smething like that.

"I have yet to understand why I can sometimes close it and remove the key while it is closing and some other times it simply stops closing before closing completely. Gadgets..."

·
Registered
78 Posts
SE vsSL

BUY THE SE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a vehicle of this caliber...pay for it! Don't let the SL crowd sway you, you'll regret it. I drive all kinds of high end cars, company, and the SL does not compare. It is "wobbly" on turns and feels loose.

Don't follow our Ameriican counterparts and buy an SL because they all want to add after market to bring it up to standard.

This is 2004 and "fixin up" your vehicle is a thing of the past. Get with it and you won't regret it.

Buy it/drive it and for sure...don't add the crap you see on so many American vehicles. As an engineer, Nissan offers a complete package.

Best Regards,
P.:2:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
That sound's kindda harsh...

SE vsSL
BUY THE SE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a vehicle of this caliber...pay for it! Don't let the SL crowd sway you, you'll regret it. I drive all kinds of high end cars, company, and the SL does not compare. It is "wobbly" on turns and feels loose.
I agree that SE has a more sporty suspension than the SL.
Hence SL will be "wobbly" on turns AT 60+ mph SPEED.
But this is neither because the SL is badly designed nor you have driven so many high end cars. High end cars (not suv) are well, cars! They are not xsuv. Hence, even ones without sport suspension still will not be as "wobbly" in turns; lower center of gravitiy.
I agree that SE sport suspension is to counter effect the wobbliness. Yet, not everyone like the slightly stiffer suspension in SE. Me personally ( and some americans here who bought the SL) dont like the SE sport suspension.
Suv is not a covervette! Sport suspension sometimes is not everyone's fondness. Some of use think, if want sporty, get the Z or even porsche. Of course, there is always money constraint involved there.

Don't follow our Ameriican counterparts and buy an SL because they all want to add after market to bring it up to standard.
This is 2004 and "fixin up" your vehicle is a thing of the past. Get with it and you won't regret it.
Buy it/drive it and for sure...don't add the crap you see on so many American vehicles. As an engineer, Nissan offers a complete package. Best Regards,
P.
Now that is a harsh statement. You are generalizing.
I am not even American (i only live here), but i still think many of ppl here will be offended. People still enjoy "fixing" their vehicles, whether it is the year of 2004 or 1944.
Why people add so many mods to their honda civics? Because they want to make it unique and personal; not because they want to make it "up to standard" (that's what you say about ppl trying to fix their SL to be SE look a like).
What "standard" are you referring to? your SE? :p Nahhh dont think so. ..

Just want to keep thisn straight. This forum is not to be a bashing media .:18:

·
Registered
746 Posts
And I might add that the SL package has more sporty and looking good wheels than the SE... :p

Also, I do not need the HID. I have a perfect eyesight and does not need any compensation on this side.

I am the only driver of my MO so I do not need any memory for my seat. I however change women more often than cars and would need a power seat with controls on my side and an eject button through the sunroof once in a while! lol (ok, enough of this macho stuff!)

SL or SE are both very good choices and they mostly depend on your budget first and on your own preferences.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pat - spend $1,000 on "plus sized" quality tires (Michelin/Kumo/Yokahama) and an SL will outhandle an SE with the stock Goodyears.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only thing I have ever regretted was not getting the sunroof on my SL AWD. The SE is just too pricey for the extra features. If you are even asking the question, then I think the SL is for you.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Davids brown...

If you are even asking the question, then I think the SL is for you.
Now, that is a good phrase ! ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
it was an easy choice for me. wife needed the navigation, as she's always lost. hence SE. at first, i didn't think NAV is a must, now i really appreciate it when taking local roads seeing packed highways.
O'Nufry

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got the SL w/ sunroof. and I have no regrets. I do not find it "wobbly" at all and I also have driven many fine cars and SUV's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't have to ask myself that question. SE is a stiffer ride but also remember you can put more STUFF in the back without bottoming out the suspension. Handling is better than SL but as some stated prior, if you have to ask maybe the SL is for you. Test drive both... smooth and bumpy roads.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got an SE for an extended -700km - test drive before purchasing and I ended up with the SL AWD with roof. I just couldn't justify the maor extra $ for the few things the SE has. The Canuckistani versions of Murano are well equipped. I don't really want the leather, and once I found out that, unusually, the SL had cloth heated seats - I got the SL.

On handling, I took mine on a long trip, including some longish 160 kmph rips on the Alaska Highway. Lots of twisties, compressions and bad frost heaves- the Mo performed like a champ throughout.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts