Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if there are any MO owners from Canada who bought their cars in the US?
Right now my wife and I are looking at ordering a new '07 SL. Although it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges based on the way Can/US package their cars, it still looks like we'll save somewhere in the neighbourhood of $7,000 CAD
Also, I've had conflicting replies from dealers in the US as to whether they would honor warranty work on a Murano that was registered outside the US. Does this seem right?
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Canadian MO have Metric speedometers and Daytime Running Lights, which are not supplied on US Models. Also, I think Canadian MO have a full size spare tire, which has not been supplied in the US.
Wouldn't you have to pay GST, PST and Customs duty, all of which wouuld take a big bite of that $7K?

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response ekaxel,
You’re absolutely right about the metric speedo. Being a child of the 60's it’s not much of an issue for me though, I was brought up on metric and imperial measure which is equivalent to the US standard measure.
As for the daytime running lights that’s simple upgrade any garage here can do.
I talked to both the Canadian and US customs people about any import/export problems I might face. It appears that they’re processing them daily here where I live. There is of course the pound of flesh I have to pay in GST and PST as well as importation tax paid to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. This in the guise of an inspection to make sure the vehicle is up to Canadian standards......Yes......I’m rolling my eyes.
As for the cost difference that’s after all taxes and fees have been paid. It seems that with the Canadian dollars increased strength versus US dollar versus Japanese Yen this last year its just made it a bargain to buy in the US.
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I'm new to these boards, and to the MO. I'm so excited! My husband flew down to the states and is now as I type driving back with my new Glacier White MO with Cafe interior~! We bought a 2005 with 30miles (50k or so). Even after our 6% GST (I'm in Alberta so no PST) and the border fees we are saving at least 10 grand (CAD)!
I will let you know how it goes at the border! We did hear that it's extremely important to fax your ownership papers to the border 3 business days before you attempt to bring it into Canada, otherwise they can arrest you!
We are aware that it must be inspected within 10 days and then have 30 days (I think) to complete the changes. This includes the guage cluster to KM from Miles and the daytime running lights.
We also spoke with Nissan USA and determined that your waranty is void after 30 consecutive days in canada. If you return to the US you have 30 days starting from when you re-enter Canada again. Not so good if you are purchasing a new MO but ours in an '05 and doesn't have much waranty left anyways. We'll just have it inspected prior to our 30days here in canada.

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Momogirl,
That name’s as cute as a bug’s ear.
I’m so envious of you and your husband. I wish we had a MO to wrap around us.
In fairness I should mention that my wife Ayako (Japanese for “girl wearing a pretty dress”) and I are right on the border with the US. We probably, on average, cross over at least three times a week. The gas is running right now at $2.99usg.....let’s see... about $.90/litre. Now, I’m not sure what gas it costing in Alberta, but for us here where it’s running about $1.20/litre that’s quite a savings. Wait, I’m digressing completely...
Hmmm....you’re certainly right about giving the US customs some lead time. They can hold the vehicle for up to 72 hours to check the ownership and make sure every things on the up and up. As for the Canadian customs all I know (and I’ve talked to them) is that they require proof of purchase and ownership. Of course you will have to have the vehicle inspected to make sure it passes muster with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, which if I’m correct on the MO requires that it have daytime running lights. I’m glad to know I have 30 days to have the work done as the US dealers are loth to do it. As for the gauge cluster you’ll see that the US models are essentially the mirrors of ours, that is they have a bold outer ring in miles and an inner ring in km, so no modifications are required.
Now, this is the biggy, the warranty coverage (you’re right) appears to be void if the vehicle’s registration is transferred outside of the US in the first six months. I wonder, well I’ll just come out and ask, is it worth saving at least $7,000.00 CAD if you lose any warranty protection? I’m open to anyone at all here. I think we’re going to have to go for it and damn the torpedoes.
Anybody? I’d be glad to hear from you.
Mark

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I do not understand the rationale of Nissan dropping the warranty coverage on a MO that is legally purchased in the US and then legally registered in Canada. Do other car makers have the same type of limitations?

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:
I do not understand the rationale of Nissan dropping the warranty coverage on a MO that is legally purchased in the US and then legally registered in Canada. Do other car makers have the same type of limitations?

-njjoe
Yes, GM and Ford. This is to discourage people from buying cars across the border. Apparently it has something to do with pricing policy and of course profit!

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a quote from the 2005 MO warranty.

This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent owners(s) of a Nissan vehicle originally distributed by Nissan which is originally sold by a Nissan authorized Nissan dealership in the United States, and which is registered in the U.S. and normally operated in the United States(including Alaska and Hawaii), the United States territories(specifically Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada.

This warranty is generally transferable from the original ‘owner other than a Nissan dealer’ (OWNER) to subsequent owners of the vehicle at any time ownership of the vehicle is transferred, without any action on your part; except that this warranty is not transferable but instead void it during the first six months after delivery to the original OWNER: (1) ownership of the vehicle is transferred from the original OWNER, and (2) the vehicle is registered outside of the United States.

Whew.. That was a lot of typing for me. So, yes, it seems pretty clear the warranty would be void. However, it does appear that all that is necessary to keep the warranty intact is for someone to make the purchase (here I think we’re clearly looking at having a lawyer involved) and then sell the car to a Canadian (namely me) six months later. What do you think? I’m certainly no lawyer so I may be reading something wrong here. Secondly, if I am right how do you go about getting someone to make the buy and store a MO for six months? I need help.

Mark

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further to my last post, I did talk to a dealer in MN who flat out told me he could not sell me a new MO, but he would be happy to sell me a ‘06 that was just over six months old. He pointed out that it would have a full warranty. I’m frustrated.
Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
I read an article about varying car prices (between US and CAD$ equivalents), and the Murano had the largest variance when taking into account the exchange rates. The real variance was about 25%, meaninf a USD$30k Murano cost the equivalent of USD$37500 in Canada. Taking into account a few model variations, and standard features, the actual variance worked out to about 20%.

I suggest being much more aggressive with a Canadian dealer, as there is certainly much more room to bargain. I got $5k off MSRP PLUS some free stuff when I bought mine, armed with the fact that the Murano is the most over-priced car in Canada taking into account the US price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kris said:

Yes, GM and Ford. This is to discourage people from buying cars across the border. Apparently it has something to do with pricing policy and of course profit!

Actually Ford Canada Will Honour the Warranty for Cars purchased in the US.

I imported my 2003 Ford Focus SVT from WA State as I could not find any up here. the Dealer charges a $50 warranty Transfer fee and then you are Golden. I've not actually had to use the warranty yet. Oddly, my Focus has been more reliable than the Murano!

·
Registered
36 Posts
So has anyone actually gone through the complete process of importing a Murano into Canada?

I am in the middle of the process. I would like to know if anyone importing, has had to swap out the gauge cluster at all? If so, how much did it cost for the gauge cluster?

Thanks!

·
Generally amused member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mister Mo Fo said:
So has anyone actually gone through the complete process of importing a Murano into Canada?

I am in the middle of the process. I would like to know if anyone importing, has had to swap out the gauge cluster at all? If so, how much did it cost for the gauge cluster?

Thanks!
Mr. MO FO,
We opted out of importing a MO from the states, but I can tell you that the cluster on the US model has km, so it will pass inspection and not need to be changed out.
I'm not sure if having the km as the primary indicator is important to you, but I would guess it's quite a pricy item to swap out.
Mark

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some years ago when returning to Canada after working a number of years in the U.S. I imported a Mazda MPV.

Speedometer was principally in MPH with secondary Kph markings so no problem. However odometer was in miles so was required to place a sticker on the face of the speedo emphasising that odometer was recording miles not kilometers!

Ugly thing to say the least and eventually it fell off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts