Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried filling my gas tank last night (this is only it's 5th fill) and once again the pump only went about 1.5 gallons. Four of the five fills have been at different gas stations with the same issue.

I tried telling the attendent it needs about 15 gallons but he was a stuborn one. (I am in NJ, full service only) He insisted I turn my engine on so he could see the gauge. He then decided my gauge was broke. We finally got 11 gallons in the Murano but it was a pain in butt. On the 3rd fill the attendent held the nozzle up-side-down to fill it successfully.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
gquiring said:
I tried filling my gas tank last night (this is only it's 5th fill) and once again the pump only went about 1.5 gallons. Four of the five fills have been at different gas stations with the same issue.

I tried telling the attendent it needs about 15 gallons but he was a stuborn one. (I am in NJ, full service only) He insisted I turn my engine on so he could see the gauge. He then decided my gauge was broke. We finally got 11 gallons in the Murano but it was a pain in butt. On the 3rd fill the attendent held the nozzle up-side-down to fill it successfully.

What's the deal?
Same problem here - probably half the time I have some trouble filling the tank. Seems like the gas doesn't flow into the tank well and fools the pump into thinking the tank is full. Very annoying :28:. Haven't had any other troubles so I haven't been back to the dealer yet, but I plan to mention the problem to them too.

BTW-Mine is an '06 w/ 5k miles.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
(I am in NJ, full service only)

Tell me about this? Please. You mean they will not let you put gas in your own car? Wow must be a union thing run my Tony Soporano
:eek:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Also possible that the main fuel filler pipe is dented

:(

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my 3-week-old 06 MO. If I go to a particular Mobil station, the nozzle shuts off after only a gallon (or less), even though I'm half to 3/4 empty. If I let the gas trickle in, I can usually get the nozzle not to shut off, but I'm afraid that I'll overfill the tank. However, if I go to the Citgo station across the street, I have no trouble no matter how fast I allow the gas to flow. Not a big enough problem to take the car in to the dealership right now, but I'll be sure to mention it when I take it in for its first "checkup".

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny I use the same gas stations ever since I got the MO.... I had the issue about 15% of the time but magically it is working 100% now..... hmmmm is the MO learning and changing its behavior??? :eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well there is a chance...maybe enough people complaigned at those stations you were having problems with and they fixed something. My problem, and it's rare, is I find the magic pump that dribbles a trickle. But it's only a couple pumps and I know which ones they are so I avoid them. They always say well wait for 10 seconds and try it again. Sometimes that works I guess, never does for me, I just put 50c in and find another pump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (I am in NJ, full service only)

GripperDon said:
Tell me about this? Please. You mean they will not let you put gas in your own car? Wow must be a union thing run my Tony Soporano
Yup, it can take 30 minutes or more to get gas on the NJ Turnpike during rush hours with the full service non-sense. It is against the law to fill your own tank. Many gas stations do not have enough attendants. Many pumps in NJ still do not have credit card processing built in. It's the old carbon copy card swipe routine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
in Puerto Rico is an option to full or self service.they charge you few cents extra per litter if full service.its like $.65self,$.67 full.
when I went to CT to pick my MO that I bought on ebay I stop at NJ station and I jump out to fill it up myself when I see this guy coming at me that look all junky I was
like this is it I'm goin to be robbed I'm loosing my MO right out of the bed,he was like, how much?I said how much what ?then I knew he meant a full service but I thought was up to you,I said no I'm filling up myself thinking that I could save few cents per gallon but he said that doesn't exist here.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
enamurao-

New Jersey is one of the few remaining places in the US where only gas station attendants can legally use the gas pumps.

It may sound strange but I would not have it any other way. I lived in Maryland for 10 years and did not mind filling my own tank. But I preferred the full service available in NJ, especially in the middle of a February cold spell or an August down pour. New Jersey, in spite of having full-service-only gas stations, also enjoys some of the lowest gas prices in the Northeast. Go figure.

-njjoe

·
Registered
286 Posts
I hear you!and I dont mind having full service but was kind of weird to me since I haven't seen full service until that day in my past 17 years and also living in a world that no ones gives a crap about no one,,I was,this is cool!!,whats the actual gas price for premium in jersey?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
enamurao said:
whats the actual gas price for premium in jersey?
enamurao-

Last week I paid $3.05 for Premium.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"It may sound strange but I would not have it any other way. I lived in Maryland for 10 years and did not mind filling my own tank. But I preferred the full service available in NJ, especially in the middle of a February cold spell or an August down pour. New Jersey, in spite of having full-service-only gas stations, also enjoys some of the lowest gas prices in the Northeast. Go figure."

To each his own.
Cheaper you say. even with the overhead of the Pump guys.

What do you suppose that odor is, joe?
Body Odor? :p
No, it is refineries.
Lots and lots of refineries.

Before NJ became what it is today, there were no sales taxes in NJ.
It didn't need a sales tax.
They merely did what every state does.
They took advantage of their "natural" resource.
They charged a tax on their exported gasoline. (Exported to exotic places like the City, and Conneticut, Maryland and PA, etc.)
Meanwhile the lowest gasoline price was in NJ. Because that's where they "made" it.
People could smell those refineries, but what the heck, at least they didn't have a sales tax while all around them, other people, children of a lesser god, paid taxes.
Today the gas is still cheaper. (The refineries are still there)
Here is a list of the refineries courtesy of Wikipedia:

New Jersey is infamous for its abundance of oil refineries. The smell given off by the refineries is common to motorists who travel the New Jersey Turnpike. This is a list of the major oil refineries in the state:
Bayway Refinery (ConocoPhillips), Linden, New Jersey 230,000 barrels per day (bpd)
Eagle Point Refinery (Sunoco), Westville, New Jersey 145,000 bpd
Paulsboro Asphalt Refinery (Citgo), Paulsboro, New Jersey 51,000 bpd
Paulsboro Refinery (Valero), Paulsboro, New Jersey 160,000 bpd
Perth Amboy Refinery (Chevron), Perth Amboy, New Jersey 80,000 bpd
Port Reading Refinery (Hess), Port Reading, New Jersey 62,000 bpd

And surely you understand that it could be cheaper still, without paying an army of pump jockies?:eek:

AND if you could pump your own gas...... then you wouldn't fill up in Mahwah NJ and get all the way to Watertown NY before your CEL came on because the NJ Pump Monkey forgot to tighten your gas cap......

So enjoy, the service, but if you ever get the CEL, make sure you check for a loose gas cap. ;)

Homer

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had this problem as well, and found that if I slowly increase the flow speed, it works just fine. It will fill at the highest flow speed as long as you gradually increase the flow to that point. If I squeeze the nozzle too quickly, it will 'kick off' every time. An enormous pain in the ass considering that many of the stations around here are full serve, and trying to explain the required process is just about as much a hassle as waiting for the tank to fill up on the slowest flow setting.

Imagine the 16 yo kid hearing this jackass trying to explain to him how to fill up the tank. I'd think I was an ass too if I were in his position.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hfelknor said:
[B
What do you suppose that odor is, joe?
Body Odor? :p
No, it is refineries.
Lots and lots of refineries.

AND if you could pump your own gas...... then you wouldn't fill up in Mahwah NJ and get all the way to Watertown NY before your CEL came on because the NJ Pump Monkey forgot to tighten your gas cap......

So enjoy, the service, but if you ever get the CEL, make sure you check for a loose gas cap. ;)
Homer [/B]
Homer-

That smell? I'm not sure, but it could be the salt-water from the bay in front of my house, of the smell of the rose and vegetable gardens on the other side, or maybe the clams and tuna-steaks being grilled on the barbecue.

Refineries? Sure New Jersey has refineries. They occupy only a couple dozen square miles out of 8,772. The refineries are located in a few isolated, highly industrialized areas of the state. What, there is no industry in Florida?

I like the fact that pump jockeys pump our gas and we enjoy relatively cheap gas. Some gas stations will still clean your windows and check your oil if you ask politely.

Recently a study was conducted to determine what drivers would save if the state permitted self-service stations. It was less than one cent per gallon. I don't mind paying a dime to have someone fill up my tank. I also don't miss the smell of gas on my hands or having to get out of my car in nasty weather to pump the gas.

And if the CEL light ever comes on I have no problem getting out of the car to check the cap. I don't find that to be that big of an inconvenience.

I realize I am spoiled. I have the best of both worlds - cheap(er) gas and full service. When was the last time someone washed your windshield or asked to check your oil?

-njjoe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: (I am in NJ, full service only)

GripperDon said:
Not just New Jersey. Oregon as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
manitoba murano said:
and trying to explain the required process is just about as much a hassle as waiting for the tank to fill up on the slowest flow setting.
Tell me about it, most of the attendants pumping the gas speak little English. I would love the option to pump my own gas. The lines are so long here because the stations are too cheap to hire enough people. The other issue is being careless, I had a huge scratch on my Armada where an attendant got it with the nozzle. Even my Murano has a chip already to the bare metal right by the gas cover.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
gquiring said:
Tell me about it, most of the attendants pumping the gas speak little English. I would love the option to pump my own gas. The lines are so long here because the stations are too cheap to hire enough people. The other issue is being careless, I had a huge scratch on my Armada where an attendant got it with the nozzle. Even my Murano has a chip already to the bare metal right by the gas cover.
Good points. I avoid most of those problems by not going to a gas station where people are waiting in line (Wa-Wa, Parkway, etc.). I find that when the attendants are rushed or in a hurry they are apt to not do a careful job. I usually frequent small, off-the-main-road gas stations that have no waiting line. And if they have a black hose that rings a bell when you run over it, that's even better. They are the ones that will wash your windshield and check your oil. They are still out there.

Customer service at a service station. What could be better?

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 62 Posts