Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
It would have been nice if the site admin had shot an email to us folks. I was also worried the site was down for good. Luckily I found the IP address on the other Murano forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's Back!

I have had no success the past few days logging on to this site. Now, it seems to be working again. I missed all of you on here, and thanks to all of you who worked on getting the problem solved.

·
5,268 Posts
Man, it feels good!

I can "see" familiar faces!

:7: :7:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It does seem to be back! Whoop Whoop!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I didn't see it on alloy...I stopped in there for a few days and nothing...saw one post asking what happened, no replies for 2 days.

I chased down the owner of the registration and sent him an email today. I emailed Enforcer on his site as well. Got a reply from the owner about DNS problems...kinda ironic considering this weekend we rehosted 37 sites at my work, we are still fighting some DNS issues.
I think I may try to get some of your web addresses so I can keep in touch as this is my most visited forum.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
yup the root servers are resolving now.

Joe, when you register a website address or URL, you have to specify 2 DNS servers, a primary and a backup. These DNS servers will be the ones that translate www.mydomain.com to an IP address like 111.111.111.111. There are multitudes of DNS servers on the web and they dont all know each other until they need to. The way it works is it all starts with the root hint servers. Here are the current root hint servers:http://www.root-servers.org/. Here is the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver.

Here is the wiki for DNS in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System.

A DNS request to your ISPs DNS servers is made every time you type an HTTP:// address in your browser. Whenever a DNS request is made, the server will use a saved record if it has already learned it. But these cached lookups expire depending on how your DNS servers are setup and they don't have all the addresses. So if your DNS servers don't have it in cache, then that DNS server goes to the DNS server it is pointed at, if not the root servers themselves. At some point in the chain there will be a link from a DNS server to the root hint servers. The root servers then will supply the correct name servers which then are queried until eventually the primary and backup DNS servers you registered your site with above are provided...if everything works right :D. Then your DNS servers pull that record and save it and connect you to the site.

Now another problem that can happen is that the cached records don't expire. Lets say that you had to make a change to your registry and the root servers resolved it immediately. Well not all the DNS servers on all the ISPs in the world will know about it until their cache expires and they go requiry the new records. I've had that happen too.

The trick with the hosts file bypasses all that. Your operating system will check your hosts file before asking a DNS server.

Which BTW a word on that. Don't add too many lines to your hosts file and for sure put any lines you do add below the localhost line. Now that the DNS servers have all caught up I'd suggest everybody that added it to their hosts files to go comment it out. Unix is better at hosts files than windows.

Lastly you don't normally dink with your registration but sometimes you have no choice. In my case my provider changed my IPs and I had no choice. In some cases you will have to change providers or you may have to change your hosting service if you are using them. Sometimes you have to change registrars. And sometimes it just makes plain economic sense to make a change.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
man sounds like there have been a couple MO problems since the site somewhat went down... i've got another to add.... darn service engine soon light turned on, along with the SLIP and VDC lights... i forgot what that means... could anyone enlighten me again .. i've been driving with the SES light for almost a week now and it drives fine.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
nissanlove said:
man sounds like there have been a couple MO problems since the site somewhat went down... i've got another to add.... darn service engine soon light turned on, along with the SLIP and VDC lights... i forgot what that means... could anyone enlighten me again .. i've been driving with the SES light for almost a week now and it drives fine.
It could mean anything, although one possible reason is a failing electronic throttle body.

You should take it into the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
could it be due to the fact that i have the Z-tube and JWT cone or should i not worry about that??

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
nissanlove said:
could it be due to the fact that i have the Z-tube and JWT cone or should i not worry about that??
Hmmm lemme see, the route that air travels into the engine...

intake filter -> MAF sensor -> Z tube -> electronic throttle body

think there's a connection? ;)

In my opinion you should never drive with the check engine light on if you can help it - in many cases even if its not damaging the engine, the ECU will remap to a failsafe setting which prevents engine damage but decrease performance. I know this is the case with oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i'm aware that there could be damage beinfg caused to the engine but there just hasn't been any time and none of the performance characteristics have changed. still drives as usual and there was no limp mode. just to clear things up, the slip and vdc lights turned on once. then i turned the mo of because i thought it was the alternator problem. but wen i turned it back on again only the SES light was on. i really wish i bought the proscan tool now. this is all so strange because the SES light also came on the same day in my grandpas 05 sentra and the other day the low coolant fluid came on in my dad's 99 gmc sierra and yet the coolant level was perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
nissanlove said:
i'm aware that there could be damage beinfg caused to the engine but there just hasn't been any time and none of the performance characteristics have changed. still drives as usual and there was no limp mode. just to clear things up, the slip and vdc lights turned on once. then i turned the mo of because i thought it was the alternator problem. but wen i turned it back on again only the SES light was on.
why don't you pull the code?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i forgot where in the service manual i should look to pull the code

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
thanks soo much guys.. i totally took this thread off topic but you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
alrighty then now we're in business.. error code p2135 Throttle position sensor.... now no BS at the dealer thanks again guys. and i'm glad i bought a Service Manual.

·
5,268 Posts
WoW! Throttle position sensor - that can be expensive. Hope you are under warranty....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
it's an '05 so i hope they don't take the performance mods as the cause... just to be safe, i'm gonna put back the stock intake pipeing. since they've already seen the JWT since new.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Now back to the thread. I was shut out for about a week as I just kept getting "page can not be displayed." It would then default to my home page. Looks like we are up and running once again. Today, the 12th is the first I could log back on.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts