Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think this would work in the MO? I don't think it would as this supports ODB II and the MO is CAN correct?

Car Chip Link

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think it does. A while back I contacted them and they stated it would but they were comming out with a new version so I held off.

Now I just changed my mind. I was going to use it to monitor my alternator's ouput.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I looked at there site but could not seem to locate the price. Also what do you see, do you download to a computer or what?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
According to the website, it connects to your PC through a serial connection. Or for an additional cost, they have a USB adapter (hehe, how sneaky, to screw Mac users). :D

Since the website says your PC needs 5mb HD space, I am guessing to store 300 hours of data in 5mb, its going to be a plain text file with numbers in it, that you can import to your favorite spreadsheet or stat program.

·
5,100 Posts
Well since I overlooked all that good info, what was the price?

·
5,100 Posts
Not yet an of course it just records no control like a Consult. In the list of things available to record it lists battery voltage, not sure that is alt output equivalent. RichE was kind enought to send me the price he spotted.

·
5,100 Posts
Thanks, See above, glad you and RichE are not blind like me.:p

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Bad page design, not your fault. I almost missed it too. Took two tries. On the second try I clicked on the direct link to the product and scrolled down all the way to the bottom of page before seeing the price.

·
5,100 Posts
Sure would like a picture of your installationwhen you are ready to let us see. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
FWIW, I am running the CarChipEX im my 04 SE.

I can provide actual data from my Mo for the parameters I currently have it set to capture, and should be able to try other parameters on short drives to satisfy queries from the group.

Currently, I have mine monitoring Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, Timing Advance and Bank 1 Upstream O2 sensor voltage.

It is supposed to log Vehicle Speed plus any other 4 parameters from a picklist of 23.

Actual Fuel Trim is still being developed and is not supported in the current firmware/software.

The program to view the data, which includes sample data is available for free download from the Davis site. Firmware updates for the actual CarChip are also available for free download.

I believe the 5 meg space requirement gives room for the distribution archive (or Installation CD) to extract needed files, make an uninstall log and install the application with database expansion to contain the full 300 hours of data.

·
5,100 Posts
Wonder how I can interface that thru my XBOX, I have a USB interface to the Xbox coming somewhere over the Pacific via Global express..
:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I called Davis Tech Support to ask about a firmware "update" that would allow for real time monitoring, and "partitioning" the onboard memory to allow monitoring more functions for less total accumulated time.

The support rep was very nice, but firmly explained to me that the request had been made many times in the past and that engineering had never taken an active interest in providing those (or similar) refinements to the design.

The time interval for sampling is 5 to 60 seconds, and 5 seconds just isn't adequate for any real evaluation of what happens during a heavy acceleration event.

So, the CarChip is set up only to record data to be later downloaded via a serial link. It will work with a USB to RS232 adaptor. I have used one with my laptop to download info.

The link is bi-directional; it also allows for firmware updates to be sent from the computer to the CarChip.

Looks like another hacking adventure to see if the horizons can be expanded......

The Davis site also has a SDK (Software Development Kit) available for free download. It includes source, libs, dlls, etc.. for using both "C" and Visual Basic to write your own programming. It also includes a simple dos-based example program.

Software Support here:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/drive/software.asp

Manuals available for download here:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/drive/support_docs.asp?dtype=6

Spec Sheets here:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/drive/support_docs.asp?dtype=7

The AutoZone auto parts chain carries these in the Southeast. I don't know if that is a nation wide chain.

I bought mine on eBay for $60.00 plus shipping. It was enough of a savings over list price for me to take a chance on it so I could see it's actual potential (or lack therof).

·
Registered
631 Posts
GripperDon said:
Wonder how I can interface that thru my XBOX, I have a USB interface to the Xbox coming somewhere over the Atlantic via Global express..
:D
Boot the XBox from a XBox/Linux CD. :)

You might need a mod-chipped XBox, which causes it's own problems. I've seen rumors (but not confirmed) that some new XBox/Linux CDs and/or XBox Media Center CDs can boot without a mod chip. :1:

·
5,100 Posts
I have a mod chip in the XBOX and am runing Media Center, Avalaunch dashboard, and a ton of stuff that Generator added for Me. I am going to email him and Get the name of the MOD Chip he installed. etc.

What do I Do now? Whoa! Guess You need to wait until I get the USB to xbox interface and it's associated software? Or if I don't please go ahead and let the info flow. Thanks GRIP :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
How about alternator output as this seems to be a weak link in some MOs

Dalite said:
FWIW, I am running the CarChipEX im my 04 SE.

I can provide actual data from my Mo for the parameters I currently have it set to capture, and should be able to try other parameters on short drives to satisfy queries from the group.

Currently, I have mine monitoring Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, Timing Advance and Bank 1 Upstream O2 sensor voltage.

It is supposed to log Vehicle Speed plus any other 4 parameters from a picklist of 23.

Actual Fuel Trim is still being developed and is not supported in the current firmware/software.

The program to view the data, which includes sample data is available for free download from the Davis site. Firmware updates for the actual CarChip are also available for free download.

I believe the 5 meg space requirement gives room for the distribution archive (or Installation CD) to extract needed files, make an uninstall log and install the application with database expansion to contain the full 300 hours of data.

·
5,100 Posts
The mod chip is made by a company called duo x2. It is basically a slave device and can hold a number of different host programs via flashing its eeproms. As far as capabilities. I dont really know if it has any real function other than injecting a false signal into the xbox so the xbox beleives it is playing authentic MicroSoft signed code. It has two memory banks to hold two different host programs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts