Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I safely remove the dealer's cheesy plastic-chrome name (and slick way to get his name advertised for free) without damaging my Murano's finish?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Man, I hate dealers that do this. Last time I bought a car with a dealer emblem stuck on the back, I refused to sign the papers until they showed me the emblem removed and the area clean and damage free.

Why do dealers think that when you pay them so much money for an asset they have the right to stick such a eyesore on the vehicle? They don't give me anything for free, I should get a monthly stipend for having their ad on the back of my car!

I have never removed one myself, but I have seen a friend use a hair dryer to heat the tape, and then use fishing line to pull through the tape eventually removing the emblem. He then used some bug/tar remover and a fair amount of elbow grease to remove the residual tape and goo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used dental floss (in a back and forth sawing motion) to remove the individual chromed letters on a warm day. Then WD-40 on a cloth to remove traces of adhesive.
Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The SOONER you do it, the better.

Homer

·
Registered
389 Posts
On the West Coast, most dealerships don't do this because people will refuse to buy the car.

Best bet is to use Goo-Gone and saturate the area. Then, as jballchat suggested, use dental floss to remove the logo. WD-40 will work also, but because of its petroleum base, it may not be the best for the paint. Goo-Gone is citrus based.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS!!!FOR YOUR HELP!

I appreciate it!
I'll be picking-up my Black/Charcoal, 2006 SL AWD loaded; w/Touring pkg. DVD, etc., on Monday.
This site has incredible Help and Gallery!
Thanks Again,
EmyC.:eek:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Cupido-

Call them first thing Monday morning and let them know you do not want the logo on your car. Let them do the work of taking it off. That way if there are any problems with the finish they have to correct it.

I was lucky, my dealer has a mylar logo that easily pealed off. No adhesive at all. I think that was because I told them ahead of time I did not want their name on my car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup, have the dealer take it off for you. I remember with my 2000 Grand Cherokee, the sales guys were out there picking at the logo themselves to get it off. With the MO, I had them take it off and clean the area and I wanted to see it with no damage. If you ask, they will do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
rtking said:
On the West Coast, most dealerships don't do this because people will refuse to buy the car.

Best bet is to use Goo-Gone and saturate the area. Then, as jballchat suggested, use dental floss to remove the logo. WD-40 will work also, but because of its petroleum base, it may not be the best for the paint. Goo-Gone is citrus based.

Bob
Goo Gone is the heat. I just took off our dealer's emblem this afternoon because I can't stand that business either.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
When I got my MO I simply told the sales person... I will not take the car if there is any dealership signs, lisc plates holders etc on this car.

No worries, they left it alone without anything. (Little did they know I loved the MO so much I would have taken it anyhow... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Long ago I had a chevy Monza which actually looked cool with a good looking dealer nameplate. So when it wore out after a few years, I went back and requested a new one to be put on.....:2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I told the dealer they could leave the plate frames on and the sales guy said - 'yeah, they're easy to remove' :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts