Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing text for an e mail to many dealers in the North Texas area. This is a request for a price on factory ordering the car I want.

I would appreciate any constructive feedback or suggestions. I am hoping this will also be helpful to other members here who are considering a purchasing approach to buying a new Murano. Thanks in advance!

Here is a working version:

<start of letter>

Attention FLEET MANAGER ONLY.

I would like to factory order the following car:

Nissan Murano 2004. SL AWD. Super Black exterior, Café Latte Leather Interior, Touring Package, Vehicle Dynamic Control, Factory Installed Navigation System (NOT dealer installed aftermarket), XM Satellite Radio, Bose Stereo System, Alloy Wheels (NOT Chrome), and Tow Package.

I also request that you would direct the factory’s attention to avoiding possible window rattles as well as Alternator problems.

I will also consider a car already on the ground with the following:

2004 model. Super Black, Café Latte Leather Interior, Touring Package, Vehicle Dynamic Control, Factory Installed Navigation System (NOT dealer installed aftermarket).

E mail me with your rock bottom HONEST price quote, with approximate ETA

NO GAMES. NO ADD ONS. DO NOT CALL ME. I will NOT come in to your dealership to “discuss” anything. Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.

I will be sending this e mail request to many dealerships in the North Texas area and beyond. The lowest price, along with subsequent contract FAXED to me for my perusal, will get my business. “ My business” means that I will come in personally and sign the faxed contract and lay down a deposit of $500.

Fleet manager contact me by E Mail ONLY.

<end of letter>

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but the wording above assumes all North texas dealers are lying, cheating SOB's. It wouldn't hurt to inject a little courtesy. "Dear sir/madam", "thanks", "your attention is appreciated" etc.
Tough and direct is good, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of good manners.
Other than that, a good idea and I wish you well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops! SL AWD. I'd better add that. I knew there was a reason I posted this.

I changed it on the original post as well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think you'll get a cleaner, more comparable response rate if you list in a something like a spreadsheet format the exact Nissan terminology for the model and option packages. I'd simplify it as much as possible.

I would list the MSRP along side the Invoice cost for each item so that you come up with a total numbers, MSRP vs. Invoice.

I'd also show the holdback $$ as a reduction in both the MSRP and Invoice numbers. The invoice amount on transportation in the same as MSRP. I'd also add a space for each dealer to fill out their "Paperwork, advertising, etc fees", just to get all the numbers out on the table.

This would give you a real bottom line number to shoot for and would make comparisons in different offers from dealers easier.

You could also toss in a space for each dealer to "brag" about the "extras" they provide on new car sales like free loaners on service, free oil changes, etc.

If you know what the sales tax and license fees are in your state, you could even include those in your list as percentages or flats fees if appropriate.

Quote Date 2/1/2003 2/1/2003
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD Digital Cars.com Digital Cars.com
ITEM MSRP INVOICE
SE AWD $30,599.00 $27,659.00
Cold Pkg $499.00 $432.00
Popular Pkg $3,499.00 $3,035.00
Dynamic Control $749.00 $650.00
Navigation System $1,999.00 $1,734.00
Tow Package $529.00 $440.00
Carpet Floor Mats $79.00 $61.00
Splash Guards $99.00 $73.00

Total Options $7,453.00 $6,425.00
Base Vehicle Price $30,599.00 $27,659.00
Total Vehicle Price $38,052.00 $34,084.00
Destination Charge $540.00 $540.00
Total Vehicle Delivered Price $38,592.00 $34,624.00

Difference MSRP & Invoice $3,968.00 $-
Dealer Holdback @3.00% MSRP $1,141.56 $-
Dealer Dollar Profit on Car $5,109.56 $1,141.56
Dealer Percentage Profit 13.43% 3.00%
Dollars off Delivered Sticker Price $0.00 ($3,968.00)
Percent Off Delivered Sticker Price 0.00% -10.28%
Cost to Dealer ( Invoice less holdbacks) $33,482.44

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

DK and Malay, thanks. Those are both excellent ideas.

A little courtesy plus some specific figures to show I know what a reasonable price and options should be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've changed the letter as per you's guys suggestions. (That's "ya'lls" here in Texas) Your suggestions were fantastic. Glad I asked!

Any more suggestions on this revised version will also be greatly appreciated by me.

Here is the prospective e mail-

Attention FLEET MANAGER ONLY.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to factory order the following car with all the below listed options:

2004 Murano SL, All Wheel Drive, Super Black exterior/Café Latte Interior

Item MSRP Invoice
Base Price $29,800 $27,404
Destination $540 $540
XM Satellite Radio $400 $347
SL Touring Package $4300 $3,730
Dynamic Control System $750 $651
Navigation System $2000 $1735
Tow Package $580 $481
Carpeted Floor Mats $80 $61
Splash Guards (set of 4) $100 $73
Cargo Area Protector $70 $53
Sunroof Wind Deflector $70 $46
TOTAL $38,690 $35121
Dealer Profit before holdback $3569 $0
Dealer holdback at 3% of MSRP $1160.70
TOTAL DEALER PROFIT $4729.70 $1160.70

I am assuming the Touring Package includes Leather Package, Bose Audio System with in dash 6 CD changer, Sunroof, etc.

I also request that you would direct the factory’s attention to avoiding possible window rattles as well as Alternator problems.

I will also consider a car already on the ground with the following MINIMUM:

2004 model. Super Black, Café Latte Leather Interior, Touring Package, Vehicle Dynamic Control, Factory Installed Navigation System (NOT dealer installed aftermarket).

E mail me with your rock bottom HONEST price quote, with price break down as in the above price table, including Paperwork, Advertising, etc fees. DO NOT CALL ME.

Please also feel free to enlighten be about whatever options or extras or services you provide, if you wish.

I will be sending this e-mail request to many dealerships in the North Texas area and beyond. The lowest price, along with subsequent contract FAXED to me for my perusal, will get my business. “ My business” means that I will come in personally and sign the faxed contract and lay down a deposit of $500.

I will respond to ONLY to those e-mails with the information I have requested above.

Thank you very much for your time and attention. I sincerely hope we can do business!

Regards,
Gary Schnitzer

·
Banned
32 Posts
Gary,

I hope you are kidding about this line.

"I also request that you would direct the factory’s attention to avoiding possible window rattles as well as Alternator problems."

Who is the dealer suppose to talk to??? The people on the line?

Why will you deal only /w the Fleet Manager?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I read somewhere that the fleet manager was the one with the authority to make the deals with less wasted time. If I am wrong about this, please explain.

I do agree with you that the line about the window rattles and alternator problems WAS rather silly. It is sort of irrelevant to a car request/price negotiation letter anyway. I'll delete it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a dealer, I would suggest that you leave out the part of shopping every other dealer, I would just e-mail their internet dept, and make it sound like you want to do business w/them. I know If I would get this request, I would throw it in the revolving file,thinking I have no incentive to sell this guy a car. Obviously there is no profit involved, already demanding, and to take the time to make a proposal as one of many dealers just to get beat by 50$ and lose the deal on a car as hot as the MO, doesn't make sense. People make the car buying process way to difficult. Just a little tip, if the dealer has an internet dept, they have a very aggressive price grid that is usually below invoice, because they figure you will e-mail other dealers as well. Also they have a sales person, who that is all they do, and takes it very seriously, so they will do anything they can to shave the last few $$ off the price. The more "anal" you sound, the less a dealer will jump to deal w/you.

Tony

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tony, I appreciate that info. I'll delete that part, and trim down other parts as well as to make it friendlier. Thanks for the dealer feedback.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tony, another question. What do you think of my request to the dealer to fax me the final contract for me perusal. Will they do that?

My purpose is not to be anal, but to avoid giving the dealer the opportunity to throw in last minute add ons and expenses once I am there and have been waiting for 2 hours for the contract to be approved by some absent third person.

Also, I do not understand why there would be "no profit" in this deal. Even if you sold the car at invoice, which I would not expect, you would still at minimum make the holdback amount of $1160 for doing nothing but paperwork. No test drives, sales pitches, or multiple visits necessary in doing business with me. Am I not understanding something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought mine last week (Dec. 27, 2003) and I agree with Tony. When you go through the internet, the fleet dept sales reply rather quickly and the price quoted are very competitive. I used internet stricktly for communications until I decided on the last two - they are very close actually. I also was afraid that they will try to add on to the quote once I am there. It turns out that they honor their quotes - my wife was skeptical with my approach and confidence until we drove out the dealership.

The financing department of the dealer is a different story. They always try to sell you service packages. I suggest you undertsnad them before you go in so you don't feel you are pressured. But that usually happens after you have agreed on the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think they will fax a copy of the contract once you have given commitment by credit card deposit. The reason the profit will be low, is that if you fax it to enough people there will be adealer that will offer the car a few hundred $ over net(invoice - HB). If you alow yourself to have some personal contact w/internet dept, and assure them that if things go well the survey will be returned 100%(very important), they will work on the sales mgr. on your behalf, because they are usually not paid on commision. So no sale no $$$. So pick the dealer you liked dealing w/best, and let them know about your other offers, and more times than not, they will meet the other offres. Now the finance dept, will try to sell warranties etc, because that is how they get paid. If you buy a actuall Nissan service contract, ask them to show you cost and pay 1-2 hundred over that. Try to stay away from other brands of service contracts. But do spend the $ on gap insurance,(usually 4-5 hundred) this will cover you if you finance and the car is totalled it will assure you that you get enough $ to cover the loan. The Murano is a new model and no one knows what kind of insurance value it will have down the road. Sorry so long, hope it helps!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hh and tony, excellent advice. Thank you!

I am paying cash, not financing, so I will not be dealing with the finance department. And I am not trading anything in, either. So that makes it simpler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I was going to pay cash also until they offered me 0.9% for three years (or 2.9% for four yrs or longer) from Nissan. This is after the price is fixed. How can anyone refuse that?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I paid cash for my vehicle, but was still sent to the finance department. They handled all the final paperwork. Salesman just filled out forms, then brought me over to finance to handle the close of the deal. So. . .you will still probably have to deal with add-ons thrown at you. I also went with a friend to a different dealership and he experienced the very same thing. :4:

·
Registered
719 Posts
You only need to use three words when dealing with the sales guy who says he's finance, "No, thank you."

They figure out that they're not going to sell you anything extra pretty quickly and most back off and just get the deal done so they can go on to the next one.

Let us know how it goes when your deal is complete and you've joined the fold!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will! Thank you.

One more question: how much is a reasonable amount to lay down on a deposit when ordering a car?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts