Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to head out on the Family Summer Va-ca.

Going to be strappin' a Sears Es-Cargo Car Top Carrier on the roof for the golf clubs and what not.

Does anyone have any suggestion on where I should place the Carrier on the roof? I want to keep the noise down as much as possible. So should put it as far back on the roof as I can or should I move it up toward the front, just behind the sunroof.

This is not the exact model I have but you get the idea.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
IMHO I would think if it was moved more forward to match the lines of the font on the MO's airflow you would have less noise in the front but more drag in the aft and then more noise in the back.

If the unit was moved aft you would have more noise up front and less drag in the aft and it might help out gas milage.

I could be crazy but I would move it back to get the back to follow the shape of the MO's hatch. Of course in doing that you might not be able to open the hatch all the way. So if you wish to open the hatch fully move the carrier forward.

There now someone correct me. :blahblah:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Maybe right behind the sunroof would be good. You might get a slight benefit from the sunroof deflector possiby helping to reduce drag and help direct airflow over the carrier.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I have the exact carrier, huge amount of storage space!
I don't have roof racks so I haven't placed mine on the MO-but I did put it on a van. I put it forward for balance. If you test drive it, put some stuff in it because it gets buffeted really bad empty. Just throw some clothes in trash bags in it---or a very large packed suit case. When I got to FLA, I took it off and put it away for the week.

On my next trip it will ride in my utility trailer with the bicycles and stuff.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
This thread reminded me of a Myrtle beach trip a few years back.

My buddy Bruce rented a full size conversion van to bring his family on vacation. There were about 8 families on this adventure. Bruce also borrowed a "hamburger" type roof top carrier.

When we all arrived at the condo complex, he removed the carrier from the van. All week long everyone drove under the walkway connecting the condos to the restaurant.

On the final day, Bruce wanted to get out early so he loaded up the van and most of us were there on the balcony to see them off.

With the hamburger reinstalled, the van no longer fit under the walkway. He hit it at about 20 mph. The burger came flying off and exploded open.

It was by far, one of the funniest sights I've ever seen.

15 years later, Bruce has finally found the humor in it too.

:2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MGTHE3, you bring up a good point. I have a set of Yakima cross bars. Last time I used the Carrier I put it up on top of the cross bars. This time I'm thinking I will put the Carrier directly on the roof and use the cross bars in front and behind the Carrier. Kind of like two little walls. That should help keep the overall height down.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The roof has a very limited load capacity - thats what the roof racks are there for. Like zelb, I would not advise you put it directly on the roof. If at all possible, maybe you could cut down the luggage so it will all fit inside - you'll kill your fuel economy with the luggage box on top.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
To test the strenght of the roof, step up on a stool or small lader and put the palm of your hand towards the middle of the roof and gently push. You will see that the metal will give! Just don't push too hard or you will leave a permanent dent....

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't put it on the roof.

Roofs that are made for that have raised length-wise strips for structural integrity.
I was saying I don’t have a roof rack, mine is a smooth top….and I like it that way.
That is why it will be in a trailer behind me next time I go somewhere I will need it.
On one van I had, the tracks for the rack were level to the roof. I bought some 1’ x 1/4 “ strips of aluminum and made slats the rooftop carrier bolted to, that was the best yet for carrying one.

My economy didn’t suffer that bad when I used it. I put 4 beach chairs and the umbrella, 5 surf casting rods and tackle for them, 5 people’s clothes for a week, 4 boogie boards, 4 sets of snorkeling gear and odds & ends that always make a vacation at the beach comfortable. I still had room to spare. The bandpass cabinet stayed in the venture van and we had a large cooler for drinks and snacks on the trip down and back. I have to admit, the suburban was much nicer to take down there without anything on the roof. The dually crewcab was a hoot with the cartop carrier in the bed for clothing rain protection.
But the house I rent has covered parking for 4 vehicles and the trailer will work fine and we will actually be able to carry bikes this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts