Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this site, my sister & I both have 03 Muranos, and we have both been having the same problem..When you turn on the car, sometimes it turns off, and when we try to turn it on again, it stays on but then it sounds like it wants to turn off again, but does not..

Anybody else with this problem?,

My sister has also had the following problems:
Window breaking down, stereo skiping, alternator breaking twice and the steering rack

Thanks!
Have a great day ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
cheretzada said:
Hi, I am new to this site, my sister & I both have 03 Muranos, and we have both been having the same problem..When you turn on the car, sometimes it turns off, and when we try to turn it on again, it stays on but then it sounds like it wants to turn off again, but does not..

Window breaking down, stereo skiping, alternator breaking twice and the steering rack

Thanks!
Have a great day ;-)
My Murano runs fine, except once I had trouble starting it, but from your description it sounds like contaminated fuel may be at fault. Water in the fuel will do that. Do you and your sister use the same gas station by any chance?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Wow, that is one problematic MO....

Car turning off

Thanks!
Have a great day ;-)
Mine does not have the "turn on turn off problem' you described.
I agree with the above post, there might be an issue with your fuel supply line/process. Or maybe incorrect timing of the spark?

The alternator is known to be a problem. Search in this forum and you can see lots and lots of complain about nissan alternator failings.

When you say windows-breaking down, is it the rattle?
And the steering rack, is it the power streering pump loosing the boost?
Both of common as well if that is the case. Heavily discussed in this forum.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This is related to the no start problem observed on many Nissans, not just the Murano. Its the ECU not metering enough fuel to start the engine, but in your case, with a warm engine its enough to start but stumbles momentarily before catching up to a smooth idle.

What can be done about it? Nothing for now, its happened to me several time on my old Maxima (which had the VQ30DE, similar to the VQ35DE in the Murano). Never left me stranded so I never thought much of it. If anything, it usually happened when I used Arco fuel! No more Arco...or Shell....ever!

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
i have the exact same thing happen to me in my 01 maxima with the same 3.0L as Eric.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for taking the time to reply, I probably take the mo in to the dealer, and change the type of gas. i use shell now.. so will probably go to chevron, thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
cheretzada said:
Thank You all for taking the time to reply, I probably take the mo in to the dealer, and change the type of gas. i use shell now.. so will probably go to chevron, thanks again!
Oh I notice you are in California - by all means - Chevron and 76 are the best gasolines. I avoid Shell and Arco - they always give me terrible mileage and I remember a friend of mine who is a Toyota technician specifically telling me that the Arco and Shell formulations are extremely similar and to avoid them.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:

Oh I notice you are in California - by all means - Chevron and 76 are the best gasolines. I avoid Shell and Arco - they always give me terrible mileage and I remember a friend of mine who is a Toyota technician specifically telling me that the Arco and Shell formulations are extremely similar and to avoid them.
Thanks for the tip. Is that true for all grades or just the regular? Before my wife and I upgraded to cars that rquired premium gas I always used Shell's regular gas mostly because it was close to my home and now I use their new Premium grade which is supposed to have five times the cleaner required by the goverment in my wife's MBZ and even sometimes in my MO. To be honest I have not noticed any problems and the mpg has been good but I will make the switch if needed. Is 76 better than Chevron or the other way around?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Chevron is the best in my opinion. Their techron additive has been praised as being one that actually works!

Domestic companies actually truck in Chevron to Michigan for EPA mileage testing, since Chevron is not sold in the midwest. That should tell you how good Chevron is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts