Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the winter months here in the norteast it is too cold to run water from the house to wash the Murano. Can't chance the pipes freezing. The only car wash in my rural area - which actually is a nice one - is one of those "brushless" where it's like giant mops washing your car. This particular one doesn't have a dryer at the end. I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems with such a car wash regarding the antenna at the front of the top of the car or the wind deflector. Seems unavoidable to use one of these to get the road salt from under the car from the snow. Appreciate if anybody could let me know if their wind deflector and antenna survived. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I admit that I took my car through such a wash this morning because I could not stand the dirt and snow buildup any longer and its too cold to wash it on my driveway. Your antenna would be absolutely fine. In fact, if you want to be super careful, just flip it yourself. It flips forward, or backwards. I recommend backwards.

The sunroof deflector doesn't get in the way either.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I always remember those big messy ice things collecting in the wheel wells and then dropping off so kindly in the garage.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went thru one the other day, soft cloth they call it. It did push my antenna down but other than that everything was just fine.:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. I once ran my sedan through one and the cloths actually bent my front license plate - as though they got hung up on it - so I put a frame around it for rigidity. I'm concerned the mops will someone get under the deflector and rip it off and the car wash like all others says it is not responsible for damage on their sign. Chances are it will be ok. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
M-Murano - Don't worry about the wind deflector, if it's properly installed it will easy withstand the car wash. I had one on my old Maxima and never had a problem in the xxx times (4yrs) I've been through the car wash.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I would recommend that you use Touchless washes. The cloth ones may get dirt on them, and then drag it across your paint.

As far as the antenna, I've never put it down, and I get a wash at least once a week (although I go to touchless ones).

I also have a bug deflector and sunroof deflector, never had a problem with either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still don't trust them. My wife went though one this past summer and you could notice the swirl marks on the paint. Those "mops" hold all the dirt from the previous cars. I'm lucky to have a hand car wash nearby. They use terry cloth towels to wash the car and then throw them into the washing machine. For the winter time I don't mind shelling out the $14.00 plus tip to get the roat salt and grit off.

Ed

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've always used those touchless, high pressure washes, so no brushes or mops scratch the finish. No issues with the antennae or deflector.

With all this snow in Boston, it's tough to keep the Mo clean. But you gotta get rid of the salt buildup :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I took my MO through a local "soft touch" wash and didn't notice any problems from the wash itself, but as I entered the wash tunnel the attendant took a foam brush with a rubber backing and ran it across the rear window and hatch. When I was vacuuming the interior I noticed a huge streak across the rear bumper which I can only postulate was from the rubber backing on his foam brush and he drug it across the bumper. I was/am pissed, but I think any decent detail shop should be able to buff that off the surface. Not being into detailing much myself I'm not very familiar with how to use the clay bars and various polishes, waxes, finishes, etc. "Sammy's Sparkle Shop" does an EXCELLENT job, but they're quite pricey. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
samwlee said:
I've always used those touchless, high pressure washes, so no brushes or mops scratch the finish. No issues with the antennae or deflector.

With all this snow in Boston, it's tough to keep the Mo clean. But you gotta get rid of the salt buildup :)
I have to try one of these car washes. Does anyone know of any in northern NJ? or know how to find them?

·
Registered
61 Posts
samwlee said:

Where in the Boston area do you go? Don't really see to many touchless around...thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
NatasG,

I usually go to Sunoco on Rt 139 in Randolph near the National Amusement Movie theatre. The wash there ranges from $7-9, and it does a pretty good job...

The Mobil next door is similar but not as good....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Personally if its too cold to wash it on the driveway, I take it to a coin op wash if I have time. For money you get the best wash, since you wash it yourself and actually get to spray the undercarriage to clean the roadsalt away. These automated carwashes have a pathetic 10 second spray for the undercarriage - yeah, like that will make a huge difference! I paid $7 for a "supremo deluxe" (or whatever they call the whammo best carwash) at the automatic place, and was not too happy with it.

However, with the weather so cold, the coin op washes can be dangerous if the water freezes on the ground, and you slip and fall.

·
4,994 Posts
You could do both really getting it clean underneath afterward.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
NO touch is the best answer.
Soft touch "could" grab your antenna.
So, just like the big antennas on other cars, the Murano stubby unscrews.
Do it. It could save you some grief.

I know that when I lived in Oakland NJ I used to wash my car at a place in Wayne. Just couldn't leave all that salt and crap on the car waiting for a warm day. :D

Homer

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to work at a car wash and I refuse to take my car to anything but touchless (if I pay someone to wash it). The problem with the brushes and mops is you get some huge offroad trucks and generally muddy cars going through all the time since who wants to clean off clumps of soil. This leads to the mud and rock collecting on the brushes. Then your car goes through and all the rocks and filth collected in the brushes rub against your vehicle. Over time you will see lots of fine scratches and abbrasions in the paint. It doesn't help that the automatic car washes are trying to make a few bucks by cutting corners. They try to go as long between changing brushes, try to use as cheap detergent as possible, and try to save water.

On a side note, I got one of the Mr. Clean carwash kits and have been using it when I can. I love it and I too am in a cold area. I wait for the temperature to get to 45 or 50 degrees out and wash my car. I figure if I wash it in this snowy weather, its dirty the next time I drive it. So I wait for the snow to melt and weather to improve.

Just my 2 cents.

·
4,994 Posts
Hilbe Boy are you right!!!. I got one of those Mr. Clean also. we have the hardest water in the world and no humidity and heat . The car dries before you can get to it almost. The Deionized in Mr. Clean is astounding. I was doubtful and thought it would just me getting suckered again, BUT NO ! IT WORKS. (Sorry those caps :D)\\It's sp easy I can forget going to car washes, which I hate and don't go often. But now I wash them all the time. here at home.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Grip, you use it with Zaino wax or any special waxes? I haven't waxed my MO yet, since I just got it and all this snow. I am debating a premium wax and was wondering how the Mr. Clean worked with it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts