Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Best Buy to take advantage of the pre ’Black Friday’ sales. The sales guy was like what kinda car you have? I say to him with my chest out Nissan Murano. He replies oh no, you won’t be able to take that 75 inch big screen in that. You need something like a Tahoe. Really dude? I ask him if was he gonna assist with loading it in my truck. He gives me the side eye. Tv slid right in, nice and easy. I give him the side eye, smiling as he closes the trunk. Moral of the story that LG 75 inch is on my wall and looking fabulous. Murano has plenty of room in the cargo area and he learned something yesterday. Don’t sleep on the Murano…. Automotive tail & brake light Car Hood Automotive tire Light
Hood Leaf Wood Automotive lighting Textile

·
Registered
356 Posts
Enjoy your new TV, speaking of cargo, its very large with second row seats down, i wish Nissan took a few inches from second row and added to the trunk.
With second row up we (our family) need just a little more room, just a few sq.ft.
In my personal opinion there are a lot of leg room between rows, which is good, but easily cod be used for trunk.
When we go on week long ski trip, we need to pack a lot, it fits but wish for just a bit more :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
97 Posts
I won't buy an SUV that won't let me roll in a bicycle and lay it down on its side, with the rear seat down. And without having to remove any wheels. (Front end in first, wheels along right panels, drivetrain side up.) 6 feet along the floor is a good yardstick, and would also let me sleep in the car in a pinch...

I keep a moving quilt over the floor to contain any dirt or grease. I've been doing this since I had a '79 SAAB 900 back in 1983 (full 6' floor) and have had two Subaru Foresters before the Murano.

When car shopping, I have brought a moving quilt and a bicycle...

ps I do NOT want less back seat space. If I carried 3-4 people all the time with vacation gear, I'd get a bigger SUV. Actually, I have a minivan for that :)

Reactions: mushroomNgrass

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
I've almost never have a problem moving large boxes, wood, and other building supplies in my Murano. Just need plenty of quilts to protect the inside of the car.

Last year I was at HD and as I went in the store, I saw a young couple walking a very large fireplace out to a small Subaru hatchback, parked across from my car. One look and I knew they weren't getting that huge box into that little car.

Ten minutes later I came out to hear the couple arguing. They had a wedding in several hours, couldn't get someone to pick up their box. Wife wanted to return it, husband wanted to leave and find a friend while leaving the wife with the fireplace.

Doing a mental measurement, I was pretty sure that with the back seats down, the Murano would handle their box.

So I went over and said something stupid about getting a watermelon thru a key hole. After a little lol, I asked them where they lived, about 20 miles away, and offered to transport their box home for them.

Needless to say, they were a little weary, a strange old man offering to move their $800 box. I pulled out my wallet and gave the guy my driver's license to hold to ease their mind. After loading the box (Fit quite easily, seeing that they didn't think it would.) and getting their address, just in case, I followed them home.

Once there, he had about 5 large friends to help get in into their home. Not one of them had a large car! I was glad to help. Told them to pass it on next time they see someone in need!

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
97 Posts
Surprisingly.... my friends Honda CRV seems to have more room. I've even heard the Rogue is more "cargo friendly" than the Murano... Not to be a bummer, just on the topic..
The CRV, and our own '17 Forester, do have more cubic feet of cargo space (70-75) than the Murano (67). In particular, they both have taller and squarer cargo areas but the Murano has more width at the floor and similar length. The winner in terms of cargo space with the Murano's footprint is the Honda Passport which has over 80 cubic feet. But the lift height is a bit higher.

The Murano has compromises due to its swoopy roof, slanted rear window, and the coke bottle waist destroys any hope for useful door pockets. But I had a '76 Corvette, speaking of coke bottle waists, and that was even worse in terms of its concessions to styling.

Our Dodge Grand Caravan has 150 cubic feet and our old full size vans (which I drove for 30 years) had 250 cubic feet of cargo room and could hold a 12 foot ladder or queen size box spring inside.:)

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL, Pearl White Midnight Edition
66 Posts
As some have said, it's the slope of the rear end that limits the Murano. It would have much more usable space if it was more square in the back. I know it's all about looks but with the rear seats in a comfortable position, there isn't as much usable space in the back as one would think. The distance from the top of the rear seat straight back to the upper portion of the rear hatch isn't much. Square footage does not equate to usable space in this instance. I don't want to give up rear-seat legroom either. Plenty of room for my wife and me but if we have another couple, there isn't enough rear luggage space.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Right on! I recently bought a 72 inch flat-screen from best buy and it fit perfectly with the back seats down and the front seat adjusted forward. It was fine, because my house is 2 minutes away and the nice steering wheel adjustment range helped dramatically lol. The employees from best buy were trying to tell me Icouldn't pick it up after purchasing online, because I didn't have a truck lol. They took one look at the murano and said "no way it will fit and we won't warranty it if it breaks. I told them I didn't get a warranty and thats for the manufacturer to decide, this is a done deal and already paid for. I'm taking it whether you like it or not. I also had a saturn vue before this and even that would fit 2x4x8 studs with the rear hatch closed. I was pretty impressed by that. Good times. I do have a kayak trailer and a 5x8 trailer with an extended toungue. The 5x8 helps a lot with the bigger stuff from time to time. I contemplated a truck before I made the purchase for the murano, but I would have needed an extended cab for the kiddos and I'm sure that would have been astronomically more expensive, especially now. I would never buy a car or truck brand new anyway but its even crazier looking at the prices now vs. 3 years ago. Anyways...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remember, as new tvs become thinner, the large screen tvs are no longer permitted to be transported horizontally due to added flex. You risk cracking the screen. Makes more sense to pay $60 for a delivery or sweet talk the sales into a free delivery.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Remember, as new tvs become thinner, the large screen tvs are no longer permitted to be transported horizontally due to added flex. You risk cracking the screen. Makes more sense to pay $60 for a delivery or sweet talk the sales into a free delivery.
Yeah it might make more sense to you and I can appreciate that. I was 2 minutes away, I didn't just throw the TV in the back or anything. Set it down very systematically and the box says "display side face up". There is enough Styrofoam in the box that its not going to flex like that. I'd rather spend the $60 on something else. I know what I'm doing and was very careful. Would have been on me. I live on the edge.:p:cool:

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
97 Posts
Exactly who are the TV police enforcing this nonsense? 🤣

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
97 Posts
I believe the major risk of transporting a TV laying flat is bending and breaking the case/frame. In the factory box, I have to believe that it's very well supported but would be subject to harm if you put a piano on top of the box :)

Out of the box, it would be a different story and I would probably put the TV face down on some thick cardboard or a piece of plywood (covered with a blanket) to keep the screen flat if I needed to have it horizontal. The screen is the same LCD technology as in a laptop computer or cell phone, and there is nothing about being horizontal that would hurt the LCD unless there was an impact to the screen or the frame was broken.

I never had a plasma TV, but per my recall, those were somewhat more fragile, but those are fairly extinct these days.

Reactions: 2ndGenMaintainer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I did not know that. I’ll let hubby know about horizontal transport cracking screens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it might make more sense to you and I can appreciate that. I was 2 minutes away, I didn't just throw the TV in the back or anything. Set it down very systematically and the box says "display side face up". There is enough Styrofoam in the box that its not going to flex like that. I'd rather spend the $60 on something else. I know what I'm doing and was very careful. Would have been on me. I live on the edge.:p:cool:
There was definitely enough styrofoam encasing the tv for protection. Very well packaged.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Many moons ago I sold Plasma TVs. After being burnt a couple of times by customers complaining we had sold them a TV with a cracked panel, we instituted a check policy, if the customer was shipping the tv home in the horizontal position. Simply put, we brought the TV back into the store, opened the box and had the customer examine the screen and sign off on their receipt that the panel was not cracked. We also made sure that when shipped flat, the screen faced up so that the electronics would not flex down onto the panel. Problem solved.

In doing so we would remind customers that trucks transporting glass panels always had them stacked vertically.

Jump foward to present day when I recently bought an 65" OLED. Employees brought the TV out to my Murano, made a point of laying the box down with the screen up and cautioned me to drive home 'smoothly'.

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
In my last position I managed the classroom technology for a university. We had a couple of 60-inch Panasonic plasma TVs from around 2010 that were still good and functional when I retired in 2019. And they were HEAVY!! Close to 200 pounds. We had to have the classroom walls reinforced to mount them. I agree, transporting with screen up or vertical was the only way to do it.

They're no longer available, having been replaced by OLED/QLED sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts