Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize that the cargo mat is kept in place from sliding around by the four plastic retaining clips in the rear compartment.

I've had the car for nearly a month, 2200 miles. Now I feel pretty stupid, lol.

Ignorance isn't always bliss.
How many others knew about this feature?

I also gouged the liftgate when I had the car positioned too far back in the garage. I pushed the garage door opener to close the door and didn't realize how high the damn rear hatch is when opened. Taking the car in to have this repaired at a body shop. Ended up with about a 2 inch deep scratch.

O well!

·
4,664 Posts
OUCH! I keep looking at that and I'm paranoid about what the doors doing when I have the hatch open... With time, I'll get used to it and do something stupid, I'm sure of it!:D

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
Cargo Mat? Retaining Clips?

OK, you're not the only stupid one. How does that work?

Has anyone thought about cutting slits in the cargo mat so that you could flip it up and get to the storage compartments underneath without removing the mat?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Retaining Clips

If you look at the cargo mat, in the 2 corners nearest the back of the rear seat, there are 2 plastic fold down clips. These clips fold down through 2 ports in the cargo mat and keep it in place. At the rear of the vehicle, closest to the back, there are also 2 retainers that fold down, there are no holes in the rear of the cargo mat. With all 4 clips down and in place, the mat won't slide. I don't really think there's all that much room for movement anyway, but this is extra security, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Re: Re: Retaining Clips

elliotgb said:
With all 4 clips down and in place, the mat won't slide. I don't really think there's all that much room for movement anyway, but this is extra security, I suppose.
Not only do the clips hold the mat in place, they also will work with your cargo net to hold stuff in place. I also use them with bungee cords in a criss cross fashion to secure boxes and larger items. The clips are very strong.

As far as accessing the side compartments, I think cutting slits in the mat might defeat the purpose of the thing. To access the compartments, I lift the entire cover, matt and all, and clip it in place with the attached hook. This provides easy access to the side holes!

:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jaak - you're not paranoid. The insides of garage doors can be nasty things! Mine has all sorts of metal braces running across the length. Opening the Mo's hatch will result in contact with this rough surface and result in scratches. My wife's minivan was the unfortunate test case a few years back. Since that time, I've added felt padding to the areas of the cross braces where the hatch will contact. I'm still careful to open the hatch gently, but at least I know the felt pads will keep the scratches to a minimum!

As for the hooks - who knew? I'm checking mine tonight.

Jim

·
Registered
758 Posts
Garage Doors

eliotgb. Your not the only one. I opened the Hatch while the Mo was in the garage and ended up with a tiny scratch right below where the License plate is by allowing the hatch to hit into the Garage door. I hurried up and polished it as best I could to try and get it off, but it is still there. I also did this to a Nissan Quest we had several years back.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I took a piece of scrap carpet and actually hot glued it to the spot where my hatch when open (with the garage door open) hits.

My wifes already hit that little piece of carpet more times than I care to think about (me too once in a while)!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hooks? Who knew? My cargo mat doesn't slide, so I never gave it a moment's thought. Now I'm going to have to look tonight to see if hooks are there.

Just when you think you know all the features of this car, something else turns up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
whoa good find good find!! i feel stupid now too!
also, after owning the murano for a year now, and after complaining and whining about the cupholders, i RECENTLY discovered that on the cupholder cover, there is another FLIPDOWN thingy majigger to make the cupholders even smaller, which makes them almost perfect now!!! i felt soo stupid.. after a WHOLE YEAR.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Neat! You learn something new here every day.. or so.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
My cupholder flip-down thingie had a "tag" on it describing what to do with it and saying that it was to be removed only by the buyer. I guess they didn't want me to miss that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts