Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2006 Murano SL, and I'm fairly interested in just going through a buying service. I'm not sure that I have the Jedi mind trick skills to pull off the deals that some seem to accomplish. Are there any strong opinions out there about which service like carsdirect.com or Costco might be best, particularly in the Los Angeles area?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why not try them all and see who offers the best deal? Keep in mind that with the CarsDirect offer, the dealer can still try to collect their dealer fee. Not sure about Costco, never used them before.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869 said:
Why not try them all and see who offers the best deal? Keep in mind that with the CarsDirect offer, the dealer can still try to collect their dealer fee. Not sure about Costco, never used them before.
I don't have any first-hand experience, but I have heard nothing but good things about buying a car through Costco. Like shappy0869 said, try them all and go with the best.

-njjoe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just purchased an AWD SE 06 at Dealer Invoice price through the Costco program. Had the car within the week. Dealer was pleasant to work with and I would def buy another car through the Costco program again.

I was very displeased with Carsdirect.com, although IIRC some folks on this forum did have good experiences with Crasdirect.com.

I was influenced by a fellow member - Irishman. Where are you? Anyway, he gave a good account of his dealings through the Costco program. Another positive, Costco was constantly in touch (email and telephone) to cehck the status of the purchase and make sure dealer was doing the right thing.

The worst thing that happens is you back out of a deal if you are not satisifed with the results.

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi. I too have no Jedi talent. :) In my case, once I figured out *exactly* what I wanted I emailed at least 5 or 6 Dealership Internet departments both in my home town and others near by (Houston - Note that regardless of where you live don't be afraid to drive a few hundred miles). I targeted $300 - 500 below invoice as this is what I saw many people getting (note this may have changed in the past months as Murano has had record sales.. ). I guess I was lucky as one dealer came back with $400 under on the first email. Sold!

If you go this route, once you've reached an agreeable deal make sure you have the dealer fax a Buyers Contract with all the specified details so when you go to pick it up they can't do the switcharoo. :) LOL, one of the dealers who wouldn't go lower than $200 over invoice gave me that advice...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs. I've been wondering how a dealer would react, though, if they get three or so of these requests thorugh the various brokers.

Anybody use Edmunds quote soliciation, while we're on the topic?

·
Registered
216 Posts
ToBeAnnounced said:
Anybody use Edmunds quote soliciation, while we're on the topic?
Those Edmunds guys are pretty good! ;)

Can't speak for the dealers that you will get referred to by them, however.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Baby_ear, glad that all went well at Bob Sharp using Costco. My Mo is 3 weeks old today, not a single flaw with it.

Had a 9 hour roundd trip to northern Vermont last week, heavy rain, mountain driving, handled super.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Car Bargains

I used Car Bargains a non profit company that goes to different dealers in your area and has them bid against each other. They deal only with the fleet managers at the dealers so theres no back and forth with salespeople. I got my 06 SL for $500 under invoice which I think is pretty good. Car Bargains costs around $200 so true cost was $300 under invoice not bad with no hassle. I used Carbargains for my wife's 05 acura tsx and got a great deal for that also. It's a small operation but they do good work.

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm

I've heard of a couple people that have used costco and didn't do as good as Car Bargains.

If you plan to purchase - you could always offer the dealer $500 under invoice and see what they say.

I purchased mine at Santa Monica Nissan. I would recommend them. They were easy and pleasant to work with and even delivered the car to my house!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Using edmunds saves you quite a bit of work. You can price your car w/ options and then submit that quote to multiple dealers. Another site you might want to check out is carmax.com.

BTW - Your request obviously goes directly to the respective dealer's internet sales department.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know it this will help you at all. I just bought my 06 SL Premium, Sunroof, Splash Gaurds, Cargo Guard, Sunroof Deflector. MSRP was $32875 so you can configure one on Nissanusa to get the exact options. Anyway my dealer let it go for $27700. The lowest I could get at Carsdirect was $30049. I know they say they will beat any deal but it is hard to actually shop this way. This was in the Central Fl area....DelandNissan to be exact.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Nomad,

Sounds like a great deal. I think you got almost the Murano I want, except I want the leather and sunroof package. How did you manage to get so far below invoice? I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate your results in the L.A. area. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well this is little bit of a long story. I will try to make it short...

First this is the 3rd vehicle I have bought from this dealer

Went to the dealer and sales manager tried to low ball me on my trade.... (Trade was paid for 03 Eclipse with only 13k on it. KBB of 12k he offered me 10k

Walked out and sent general manager and e-mail explaining the low ball treatment and that the sales manager was trying to make over 3k on me. Advised him that I had been prepared to pay cash for the vehicle that day. Also told him that I was sure Nissan is probably offering pretty healthy dealer credits, such as flooring assistance, wholesale credits, and advertising credits since they had a 19% sales drop for the month of June. And that I understand that the hold back's and other manufacture assistance are 'sacred' and belongs to the dealership.

Advised general manager that I would be going to another local dealer.

He replied and appoligized for treatment and to advise him of the other dealers offer.....Other dealer offered $30k for Sl and 12k for my car leaving 18k. He offered me 16.9 out the door.... (7% tax and title fees for Fl)

Think the number I received was because of being a repeat customer...I am also an auto theft detective so understand how dealers numbers work...Not sure if paying cash for the remainder helped or hurt.

MSRP = Profit Dealer would like to make.

Invoice = Close to what the dealer pays minus hold backs, and manufacture asistance.

On a Nissan the average hold back is only 2% about $600 on a 30k SL. The flooring assistance, advertising credits, and wholesale credits can add up to a few thousand, but change with the market and location. This money is the dealers and you probably will never get into any of it.

Knowing this should help you most on your trade in. You should expect to get the KBB value for your vehicle. They will try and tell you that they are selling you thier vehicle at wholesale ( what they call invoice) so can't give you full value for your trade. Explain that you know about the assistance they receive and most times they will back off of this stance.

I normally get lucky and get just below invoice...but I have always been a repeat customer at the dealers the do this for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts