Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the MO can handle 3 carseats. I have just found out I'm expecting twins! With my toddler, that makes 3 total carseats! Please tell me I'm not headed for a minivan! LOL

·
Registered
485 Posts
Put the toddler in the middle (forward facing seat right?) and then the two infant rear facing seats on the sides. Going to be a tight squeze though...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats on the pending new arrivals! Measure the width of all three car seats together to make sure the will fit in the Murano. Don't forget that you will need space for the diaper bags and strollers and other gear that comes along with the brood - so the floor of the rear seating area and the trunk will get full!

The Murano is equipped with LATCH compliant anchorages so that you will have fixed lower anchorages for the two outboard rear seating positions. You can use the lap belt to secure the middle seat and there is a rear seat tether all the way at the rear of the trunk. Theoretically, if all three seats will fit across the width, you should be good to go. When you measure the Murano, measure from the outside most lower anchorage to the other outside most lower anchorage - that's your real working width with a bit to spare.

Don't be too surprised if it doesn't fit. I have a toddler in a child seat in the rear of my Murano and it takes up more than 1/3 of the rear seating area. But as each child seat manufacturer is different, you never know! Whatever you do, do NOT put the toddler OR one of the twins in the front passenger seat. An airbag deployment WILL cause serious injury or death to an infant or toddler in a child seat.

BTW - why NOT a minivan? They are versatile and comes with lots of room. Newer minivans have tons of useful features. My family's other car is a GM minivan and we are very happy with it. Any of the newer minivans (think Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey or Nissan Quest - all with second row bench seating) will serve your needs much better than the Murano.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for all the info.

Really, no problem with minivan. Just love the Murano and have had one on order for quite a long time. Sorta got heart set on it. But... we are gonna have to think on this. Additional room of a van might be much more handy. Just wanted to see if its even possible to put all 3 in the MO. Now I'll have to decide whether we should... LOL.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep, if my two current kids were in car seats I'm afraid I would have had to get a Quest or what I last had, a Venture which had zero mech problems AND it has built in car seats, 2 as a matter of fact--and an overhead dvd unit.
Ur gonna beat up da Mo with strollers....and I think you would have difficulty getting 3 car seats in the back.
Congrats on the kiddies! :)
Sorry bout the Mo. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hijack an old thread but I am in the market for a car that can occassionally seat three kids and I like AWD and higher seating position. I have an MDX (which I love) and I can fit 3 car seats in the second row (plus I have a 3rd row for added seating). Some of you may say Minivan but I really want the second car to be smaller (not larger) than my MDX. The Murano or the Highlander (a bit boring) seemed like the best choices. I could go Pilot but that's just as big as my MDX (and more bland).

1. Can the Murano fit 3 car seats in the second row (even if it's really tight that's OK)?

2. Any other ideas? I am trying to get details on the 2006 RAV4 which is bigger and may allow 3rd row seating.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The RAV4 will have three rows of seating, but because it is so narrow, you will only be able to fit two car seats in the second row. The optional side-curtain airbags will only cover the first two rows, leaving the little one in the third row with much less protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
shappy0869 said:
The RAV4 will have three rows of seating, but because it is so narrow, you will only be able to fit two car seats in the second row. The optional side-curtain airbags will only cover the first two rows, leaving the little one in the third row with much less protection.
Yes, thanks for the info. My guess is that it's the same scenario with the Highlander b/c it's narrow like the RAV4. That's one of the reasons why I am really interested in the Murano. I am hoping I can fit 3 in the 2nd row when I need to (which will not be everyday). Well, that plus the sportiness.

I could go with a Pacifica but really would rather not. And I could go with another MDX (or Pilot) but I wanted something a bit smaller (and a bit cheaper). I guess one other option is to see whether an Accord/Camry can fit 3 and forego the AWD crossover. Again, I would rather avoid that.

Eventually, I will get over to the dealership and try it out (Ugh, nothing like installing car seats with a salesman hanging over my shoulder;) ) but if anyone has accomplised 3 in 2nd row it would be very helpful to know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 3-year old and also 5-week old twins, and I get them all into the Mo no problem. I have a Graco Comfortsport carseat in the middle for the 3-year old. It is attached using the seatbelt and is rock-solid.

I then have Graco Snugride bases on either side for the twins. They use LATCH. It's tight, but they all fit. As you put in the infant carriers each time, you just have to wiggle the base so that you hear the clicks.

We then have a double and single stroller and all the goodies in the back. It works, though we are going to be getting an Odyssey to replace my wife's Maxima, and that is going to be the primary kid-hauler.

The problem with the Mo, and for any vehicle with only 2 rows is when we move my 3-year old into a booster, which will be in the next few months. She is 37 lbs now, and the toddler seats are only good to 40 lbs. With a booster, you need to use the car's seatbelt each time, and that will be impossible to get to with the infant seats on the sides.

Hope this helps.

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts