Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got myself a brand new 2003 Murano SE AWD with no options. That means only the single disc in-dash CD player. I know a lot of you have added either XM or Sirius radio, but has anyone added a CD Changer to their base stereo? I would like to know what I need to get (what changers are compatible) and where you installed it, etc.

Thanks

·
4,664 Posts
Chances are extremely good that the USA-SPEC CD changer for newer Nissan's will work. The connector on the harness fits, and the radio's software does look for a changer.

Whoever you buy it from, ask them if you can return it, if it's not compatible, as the last time I looked, USA-SPEC hadn't tested it on the Murano.

I'd bet money on it working....:4:

·
4,664 Posts
Well, my educated guess is yes.

The SAT receiver has an "unused" connector that I expect is a feedthrough for the N-bus. Inside the receiver are relays to switch the audio path from SAT to the connected device.

So, if you:

1) Can find a connector that fits it

2) Identify what all the pins are

It is extremely likely that a CD changer or other changer could be connected at this point.

The display has an icon for a MiniDisk MD changer, so perhaps there is one sitting in the labs at Nissan in Japan that plugs right in. The Murano radio's firmware does look for a changer.

I'll do it eventually, but I've got other priorities right now...;)

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, one other thing, it would be possible to turn the Sat harness into a Y cable, if you understand the bus correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you very much.

Do you think the mechanics at a local Nissan Dealer will be able to help with this or should I go to an established audio installer and hear what they have to say. I am trying to avoid having a modulator uglying up the center dash. I used to have it with the XM radio but now I use the items I got from Grubbs.

Oh and by the way, I have no problems with my XM. I love it. So agian thanks very much.

John

·
4,664 Posts
Well, that's the tough part. It's highly unlikely you are going to find a mechanic that knows that much detail and only slightly less likely to find an installer, unless they really know what they're doing.

I'd check your local Nissan mechanics and parts desk and expect confusion or a NO answer. Then the installers and expect many NO's or a confused or wrong answer before you find one that truly knows what's going on.

I will do it eventually. I keep hoping someone else would to save me the time!:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
And we are getting tired of waiting.

Can you give us your boss' name and Email addy?

We need you more than he does.

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
Keep the faith! ;) I didn't say anything about SAT until I had a picture to show you of it working!

·
Registered
26 Posts
US-SPEC CD changer works?

Hi jaak or Baoh, do you know if USA SPEC SCD-N66E CD changer will work on the base stereo? Like Baoh, I got a base single-CD headunit as I didn't buy the Bose upgrade, and want to add a CD changer. My Murano trim is 2004 SE AWD without any audio upgrade. Thanks.

·
4,664 Posts
I don't know the answer, but here's my speculation based on what I do know.

First, it will plug in, so electrically it's compatible. I'm using the harness for the USA-SPEC changer to my Sat receiver, that's how compatible it is. No modifications.

Based on information I got from someone trying to get a Phatnoise going on his G35, the initial software he received, emulated the changer. When he plugged it in, it disabled the internal changer. So he got them to swap code so it emulated the SAT which he has no plans to use, and his CD changer became functional again.

When going into the Murano's diagnostics, it looks for a Sat receiver and a Changer, externally, to report back firmware revisions. That's on my Bose, you can check yours. With the radio off, turn on the ignition, hold the pause/mute button and keep spinning the volume knob (or is it the tuning knob, I've not been in my Murano for a week!) and spin it at least 20 clicks and you'll see the display go into a different mode. You can walk through the menus (you won't break anything, don't worry) and in there you should see what I'm talking about.

So based on this, my educated guess is there's an excellent chance it will work, and it may disable your internal CD player in the process.

But I've yet to hear from anyone who's tried it.

If you can find a local store that has one, tell them you'll buy it, if it works when it's plugged in. Or see what the return policy is from someone like Crutchfield or whoever....

Sorry I can't give you a definate yes or no!

·
4,664 Posts
FYI, from the diagnostics menu...

Since I don't have an external changer, it reports FF FF. I understand the Japanese version has Minidisk player and that may use the interface....

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered USA SPEC SCD-N66E online and it arrived today. I hooked it up to the headunit and it worked! I can use the headunit control and the steering wheel control to skip song. However, there is one catch though. I cannot choose the disc using the number button on the headunit! If I let it play, then it will play the discs in sequence. Or if I turn on the Random, then it will jump to other disc randomly. Since I use Random most of the time, I guess I can live without the direct disc access. Thanks Jaak for your info.:D By the way, mine is not a Bose but the stock CD player.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
mckwong--
Try this to change songs. On a stock BOSE headunit and steering wheel system you can press and hold the next/previous track button and that will cause the CD player to skip to the next CD. I would hope that this would also work for your CD system.

Let us know if it works!

·
4,664 Posts
mckwong

You have answered the question of the ages, proven the unproven, satisfied my thirst for an answer, that's been hanging there since May of 2003.

YOU ROCK!!!! Thanks, that's great news! Please, provide any detail you can on the operation, as this will be great for the rest of us.

Now if only I could get you to capture some of the data from it.... Well, I won't push my luck!
;)

I'm pleased it worked out. I hope Snow MO's suggestion works too!

A couple of questions...

1) Is is selected by the CD button?
2) Does it disable the internal single disc CD player? Or perhaps the CD button toggles between the two? (There's been some suggestion on other radios of this...)

And of course, you're most welcome for the info. I'm happy to share it....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Snow MO
Thanks. Holding the next/previous button on the steering wheel does change the CD. Now I can choose the CD I want to listen to!

Jaak
To answer your questions:
1) yes, the changer is selected by the CD button.
2) the changer does not disable the headunit CD player. Yes, the CD button toggles between the single CD and the changer. It also remembers the last time it was playing the single CD or the changer, so if you press FM and then press CD, it will play the last device it left off.

The changer does not display the CD text, but it may be US Spec changer does not provide it to the headunit. The changer also remembers last position of the song, so it will continue playing where it left off when the changer is chosen again. I can help "capture data" if you tell me how to do it step by step. Maybe I will take some pictures of the diagnoistic screen and the changer operation.

Now we can tell Crutchfield and US Spec that SCD-N66E will work on Murano stock non-Bose headunit. (can't choose the CD by the number button though) Hope other members can benefit from this info.

My next project is to upgrade the front speakers to Kappa 60.5cs. Anyone know if the stock stereo has a crossover on the speaker lines?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Glad to hear that worked! :29:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Forgive me, but what is a US-SPEC CD CHANGER?

is it just a name for nissan oem cd changer something?
Or is it a type of format for cd here in USA?
Anyone can briefly explain :)

ThANK you

1 - 20 of 36 Posts