Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember reading about this a while back. it didn't relate to me back then, but now it does.

my cd player will start skipping especially when i first start driving, usually in cold temp. after about 10 minutes everything is fine. does anyone else have this problem? or can someone direct me to the thread on this? its pretty annoying.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quikkik said:
i remember reading about this a while back. it didn't relate to me back then, but now it does.

my cd player will start skipping especially when i first start driving, usually in cold temp. after about 10 minutes everything is fine. does anyone else have this problem? or can someone direct me to the thread on this? its pretty annoying.
I to find this happening when the weather gets cold especially with my recorded CD's. After a bit everything is find once the CD player gets warm. Present temperature is -20C going down to -38C by Wednesday.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have had the exact same problem with the original Bose CD unit. In our case the home burned CDs worked better than some commercial CDs. This is a known problem at the dealership and they will provide a replacement but it is advisable to load the changer with commercial CDs only and show them that the problem arises with these. As the skipping goes away after warming the unit it is better to show the dealer after a cool night and not to open the unit while riding to the dealer as it accelerates the warming. Same problem with the first replacement unit. With a second replacement, we now have a good unit working good on all conditions.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
This has occurred on our Mercedes and the dealer says this and it's a quote" .ONCE Once some non commercial CD's are used in the changer it requires a reset of the player's processor as the software that tracks the disk can't handle the signals from the disk and it screws up the memory in the system" from that point on. it actually required them to remove the player install a replacement and then they send it back for reprogramming. I have many years of experience with this dealer and personally know the head of service. He is not a dummy. So who knows what evil lurks in the brain of a CD changer? only the computer knows

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got a 04 Mo almost a year old and I just started noticing this problem recently, happens with both commercial and burned CD's.

·
Registered
629 Posts
zeddic said:
Got a 04 Mo almost a year old and I just started noticing this problem recently, happens with both commercial and burned CD's.
Well... I suspect it could just be degradation of the laser track mechanism. Many "cheaper" CD players suffer from this -- the lubrication used to lubricate the lens across the guide tracks breaks down and/or evaporates and/or gets dirty over time from dust and such, thereby gumming up the works. Sometimes, if it's REALLY cold, the viscocity of the lubricant also causes tracking problems, and when it warms up it smoothes out.

I promise my anti-Bose bias isn't promoting this post, I've seen this happen in many different brands of cd player, both home and car. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about it short of replacing the unit since "servicing" the unit certainly voids all warranties.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
This is a long shot, I wonder if dust collects on the lens and somewhat distorts the sharpness of it's focus. This combined with the possible less clarity of some disks clear outer layer result in causing the recognition to fail. It might be interesting to try one of those cleaning disks that reportedly clean the laser lens and then also to make sure the CD is completely clean and then try it again after the interior interior is fully warmed up. Just thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts