Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Cant seem to locate any 3rd Gen Threads regarding fault code P0456. Only see 1st and 2nd Gen threads.

Anyway, last night I recieved a message that my fuel cap was loose. I checked and it was not, but regardless I undid it and tightened it up again. But still recieved the error message. I just went ahead and cancelled the message and carried on.

Today I got into the car and the error message no longer popped up but instead I got a solid yellow check engine light. I scanned it and got back:

P0456 - Powertrain
Evaporative Emmision Control System Leak (very small leak).

A bit of looking into it online and it seems like some sort of O-Ring is a common cause for this error.

I was wondering, has anyone experienced this with their 3rd Gen? If so, what was the cause and was it an easy fix?

Also, in your opinion, is it safe to drive for a week with it? I wont get a chance until next week at the earliest to fix it.

I have a 2017 Platinum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my wife's car has this problem as well. I read that there were 3 potential causes for this. (I think there are 3 places where the "leak" can be detected. I replaced the gas cap as well, and still get the message. I can remove it through my tester, but it comes back as either the gas cap message or the engine message. The cause seems to be the same. My belief is that it is environmental and I will get it fixed when I take the vehicle in for something else. It's been a couple of months so far. I hope that I'm right!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
An EVAP fault on a 4 year-old car should be very rare. The common failure points for the EVAP system are the purge valve, vent valve, and gas cap--all because these have or are moving parts and things with moving parts tend to fail over time simply due to wear-and-tear. On such a "new" car, I would first suggest cleaning the rubber gasket on the fuel cap and inspecting the surface on the fuel filler neck where it seats. If there appears to be dirt/debris/corrosion etc. on the filler neck where the gasket sits clean it thoroughly. Replace the cap, clear the code and see if it comes back. If your scan tool can access mode $06 then you can see how the system is performing (or failing) on the small leak test.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I will give it all a good cleaning and a thorough visual inspection.

I did read up online a Nissan Technical Service Bulletin outlining many Nissan models, including 2015-2017 Murano's as having premature failing O-Ring on the Vent Control Valve.

Any idea if that part is difficult to get to and replace?

I've included the NTSB pdf below, incase anyone wants a read. Its from 2017, so this may be why it only states 2015-2017...... but it might also affect newer models.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, reading up a newer Nissan TSB, it looks like P0456 is not caused by a loose gas cap. I will also attach this newer, updated TSB if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Actually, reading up a newer Nissan TSB, it looks like P0456 is not caused by a loose gas cap. I will also attach this newer, updated TSB if anyone is interested...
Not quite. What the TSB is saying is that if an applicable car shows up with P0456 stored in the ECM and the tech determines that the leak is not due to a faulty gas cap and the tech finds a leak coming from where the vent valve mates to the EVAP canister (and the problem is the o-ring) then the tech should not replace the entire vent valve assembly, but only replace the o-ring. The main purpose of this TSB is to keep techs from replacing an expensive vent valve when the o-ring is the culprit (esp. if Nissan is paying for the repair via warranty claim).

If you take your car to the dealership (or any mechanic for that matter), they're going to smoke test the EVAP system and see where they see smoke coming from. If it's coming from where the gas cap screws on then they'll tell you that you need a new gas cap. If it's coming from where the vent valve inserts into the EVAP canister then in this case they'll tell you that the o-ring on the valve needs to be replaced. If smoke is coming from somewhere else then they'll tell you where that somewhere else is and what needs to be replaced. On a side note, if it is leaking per this TSB and it's not a warranty claim then don't be surprised if they ignore the TSB and tell you a new vent valve is needed anyway.

Font Number

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yours might be a completely different situation than mine, but since it was an easy, 20-second process that solved my "loose fuel cap" maintenance light to remain on, it might be worth trying...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts