Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the phone mute was finally installed and tested in my MO this afternoon. It works as advertised and will mute the radio output and redirect the phone audio to the Bose amplifier.

Here is the box:

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a prototype and the final box will only have 3 input areas (mute ground, cell audio + and cell audio -). If someone is interested in buying this mute box already made, I can arrange something with the tech guy and, according to what he was telling me, the price will vary depending on the numbers to produce.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, this phone mute box will work with all Nissan/Infiniti vehicles equiped with the Bose and even in line with the PAC (also tested... :) )

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
SIM, great mod..

Questions:

Does it work with any cellphonebrand?
Or if i am interested, i have to provide some info on the cellphone its gonnabe used on?

How diificult is the install?
Does it involve splicing/soldering on the factory connection/ic board?
I am just trying to minimize tempering with factory stuff doing this mod to avoid future warranty issue.

3. Count me in, I am interested.
As long as the price is reasonable ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Questions:

Does it work with any cellphonebrand?
Or if i am interested, i have to provide some info on the cellphone its gonnabe used on?

How diificult is the install?
Does it involve splicing/soldering on the factory connection/ic board?
I am just trying to minimize tempering with factory stuff doing this mod to avoid future warranty issue.

3. Count me in, I am interested.
As long as the price is reasonable
SugarRush,

1. It currently works with any cell phone kit (usually fixed kits) that will send a ground signal through a wire when the phone is activated. But of course this signal could be adapted although most cell phone kits use the ground as a mute signal.

2. The install is as simple as the PAC. Simply remove 2 plugs from the Bose and insert this box in between. I have found that there is room under the radio in the console to secure the box.

3. I will soon get the price for a complete unit. The price will vary according to the demand. Let me say that I am impressed with the result as the sound is loud and clear from the Bose and there is no reverb from the mic at all. The stock cell kit speaker is sometimes very hard to hear even at full volume but with this setup, there is no more guessing. I was the first to experiment the product so I paid more than what he will charge for the final box, mainly because I was in a hurry (as always! :)) and I had to get the OEM Bose connectors from a local shop for $35 (4 connectors only). The tech who designed the board charged me $100 for the rest of the parts and labor but he told me that he could produce it complete on a larger scale for less than $100. I will let you know as soon as I get the final prices depending on qty. If you are interested, I will put you in contact directly with the tech as I am of course only helping out on a pro bono basis. I know that the tech has a Paypal account.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a final comment. According to the tech, the OMRON relays are more expensive than regular relays but they are smaller and more effective (= close to no noise pickup). Shipping is also a killer and for example, as far as shipping is concerned, 1 relay is the same price as 10, so this is why qty is important in the pricing.

The design of this box is based on the diagram posted earlier by Jaak on the mute signal subject. In essence, everyone can produce the same box if one can read the diagram and order the proper parts.

Just wanted to clarify so that there is no misunderstanding...

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, those relays are pricey and while it would be four more connections, it would be cheaper to use four relays, instead of those two Omrons...

And it would work, just the same. It's all about quantity and being able to make them cheaper as a result.

I still have mine sitting on the desk. I have to get the connectors, and I seem to have misplaced my round tuit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jaak, it would be cheaper to use other relays but, according to the tech guy here, it would also require a bigger box because the other relays are much bigger (and you would need 4 as you indicated). So, I don't know if it would easily fit in a box behind the radio. It would be harder to fit for sure.

·
4,664 Posts
No, I disagree, the size difference is not significant.

Here's the relays, next to some others that are less than half the price...

Omron relays on the left are $10.16 USD from Newark, in single item quantities. Two needed for the circuit for a cost of $20.32 not including taxes.

Relays on the right are $1.54 each with four required for a total cost of $6.16 US.

Both are suitable for switching the audio paths.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jaak, I'll tell him he's full of it... lol

Then I guess he was referring to the existing box (mine) where the other relays would not fit because it is already tight to close.

·
4,664 Posts
I like the Hammond case he put it in. I bought one of those for my interface project.

Here's the PCB that Howard sent to me, complete with notes written on it to help me wire it. I will be modifying it slightly and completing it.

This could be made 1/2 of the size and designed to fit in a Hammond box, just the same, or smaller. Since the board was designed and manufactured through ExpressPCB, it would be easy to create a file that anyone could submit and receive PCB's, if they wanted to build their own.

They have a deal for three PCB's and two of these interfaces could be built on one, and cut in half, so potentially six could be built.

It would also be handy to use PCB mount screw terminals for the Cell connections so there's less soldering, less wires and it's more rugged.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
SIM said:
Thanks Jaak, I'll tell him he's full of it... lol

Then I guess he was referring to the existing box (mine) where the other relays would not fit because it is already tight to close.
Yeah, I suspect he was thinking some other relay, 'cause I'm sure he's aware of the low cost ones. No doubt, the Omron's are good, so I'm not knocking them!

I bought a pair because I have the board, but if I was building from scratch, I'd go with the less expensive ones.

Hmmm... Too bad I don't have the time right now, to throw a PCB drawing together. Maybe I'll squeak one in and post it, if I find the time this weekend.

As a density comparison, the picture below is my interface project from the same board maker and exactly the same board dimensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your project does look a lot cleaner and this is why mine is only a prototype. It worked on the first try so I kept it this way. Anyway, I don't really car how it looks inside the box as long as it works but it could mean a smaller box and this is always a benefit if you have to add others later on.

·
4,664 Posts
Actually, for a prototype, it's well done and clean. It's hard to keep the wires looking pretty and it's a good job with proper cable strain reliefs and terminating block, so I'd say a job well done!

It's just nice sometimes to do the PC board, if you don't care about the extra cost, because the layout software is free, so you can...

I'm doing this stuff for fun, more than anything else....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm doing this stuff for fun, more than anything else....
And your knowledgeable input is always very much appreciated. Without your help, I would not have a very effective cell mute now, a very useful feature in my case.

Thanks for your support Jaak! :29:

·
4,664 Posts
Maybe you can build mine for me! ;) I should be soldering, instead of playing, but I have a weird idea of fun...

The picture's what I'm doing now, but I'm not seeing the signals I hoped for...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't give up Jaak! Using that other connector on the back of the XM unit is exactly what I have been hoping for! I really wish that I could be some help in all of this engineering.....

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Jaak you're sick man!!

OK, now that I saw that I am gonna work on getting the stock radio out of the MO'!

·
4,664 Posts
Getting the stock radio out, won't be a problem if you can use the climate controls from another nissan/infiniti that has them separate from the radio controls. At least that's what I would think....

Yes, I am a sick man. Have Logic Analyser, will travel!:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes please do Generator, I have been wanting to take out my radio since I got my Mo. Jaak even if you can find controls for the AC from another infiniti/nissan you still need to be able to find a way to control all the other functions from the row above the radio (day/night button-prev button-the joystick controller-settings button-trip button) right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts