Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our MO the section around the shifter was scrathed so they threw in a new one....only thing is I have to install it.

It appears you have to take the shifter knob off to get the piece off (its the area around the shifter and the two compartments to the left of the knob). How do you take the shift knob off? From there I should be able to figure it out.

I could probably figure it out, but it was dark tonight by the time I looked at it and I thought it would be faster to get an answer here.

Thanks in advance!:D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Do you have the service manual? It really worth the $20 to download, especially for stuff like this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GripperDon said:
Do you have the service manual? It really worth the $20 to download, especially for stuff like this.
Nope, looking for a "free" tip on this one. I'm not paying $20 to find out how to get a knob off. If no one replys, I'll do what I always do....figure it out! :p

then if I need the FSM down the road maybe I'll buy it. Nissans already getting enough of my money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's your freebie. This from the 2003 SM.

1 Pull down knob cover.
2 Remove lock pin of selector knob.
3 Open cup holder lid.
4 Insert flat-bladed screwdriver wrapped with tape from behind A/T console finisher and remove by lifting.
5 Disconnect harness connector, and remove A/T console finisher.

Install by reversing order.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dclinton said:
Here's your freebie. This from the 2003 SM.

1 Pull down knob cover.
2 Remove lock pin of selector knob.
3 Open cup holder lid.
4 Insert flat-bladed screwdriver wrapped with tape from behind A/T console finisher and remove by lifting.
5 Disconnect harness connector, and remove A/T console finisher.

Install by reversing order.
Rock on...thank you! 2 Posts and you are already a contributer!!! :2:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
If you will do lots of mod ...

jpalm wrote: Nope, looking for a "free" tip on this one. I'm not paying $20 to find out how to get a knob off. If no one replys, I'll do what I always do....figure it out!
If you will do lots of MOds on the Mo, believe me the FSM is worth the money than scratchin a trim or breaking plastic taps or bending a metal bracket/screws. If any of that happen, nissan will truely pocket more money from you. Rather than paying $100 for a plastic face trim replacement because a tap is broken, the $20 FSM sounds like a good deal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, with you tips I got it off and installed the new one in about 5 minutes. Very simple and strait forward.

Only thing is I f*cked up the little horseshoe clip that holds the knob in place. I tried bending with pliers, etc but made it worse. However after monkeying with it for about 1/2 hour I figured out a temp solution.

I took some 16-gauge wire (I think thats what gauge it was), stripped the rubber cover, put it in the shift knob hole where the shifter slids in. It made it just snug enough that it takes some effort to pull the shift knob back off.

Eventually I'll find another horseshoe clip, but this works fine. Plus Nissan would probably charge me $20 for the stupid .10 clip!:3:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Where the instructions above refer to 'Pull down knob cover', is that referring just to the inverted pyramid shaped piece of aluminium at the base of the shifter, or does the leather covered piece pull down from the aluminum strip.

GripperDon: From your experience if I just lift the A/T console finisher without removing the shifter, is there enough room for small hands to reach the bulb/socket to remove the coloured cap on the bulb.

·
4,994 Posts
rjardine

I did not try that , But I "think" it could be done, Not sure. But if you can't, nothing hurt and you can go ahead and remove the knob.

You have to twist the bulb holder to remove the bulb and then slide it out and roll off the amber cup. GRIP :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pulling the metal cone piece down to get at the clip is easy. Lets you take off the cover plate completely, less chance for scratching.

·
4,994 Posts
MOpar

I agree, but it sounded like he didn't want to do that. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I can (and did) remove the cover plate in 20 seconds, several times...and no tools are required.

1- Grab the cone piece with your fingers and pull it down
2- Look down and you will see the brass color retainer spring or clip retainer. Use your finger nails to push it out a bit. No need to remove it.
3- Shifter knob slides right out
4- If removed, put the spring retainer back on the shifter knob and snap in place. Put the shifter knob aside.
5- Open the cell phone and coin holder boxes and remove the felt inners
6- put your thumb in the cell phone holder and the index finger in the coin holder openings, grab tight and pull streight up. Cover comes right out.

Reinstall is even easier,

1- Put the cover back and snap in place
2- Make sure the spring retainer is already on the shifter knob and fully in place. Put the shifter knob over the shifter arem and push down. It will easily slide down and snap into place.
3- Put the felt inner covers in and you are done.

For the amount of time and effort it takes to remove this cover, it is certainly not worth taking a chance on denting it.

·
4,994 Posts
zebelkhan

I bet you were a wizz at rifle breakdown / Assembly drill.

Plus I agree with both of you.

I think I am a bit rectilinear, possibly anal also.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thnx to you all for the info.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Christian Bravo

This is off topic but I checked your website and I was very impresses with the opening page. Who made that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts