Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Chancie23:

As a Nissan engineer who has driven the Murano since before it was made available to the public, could you please speak to the steering wheel issue raised by Consumer Reports. In particular:

Is Nissan working on a fix?

Will it be possible to apply a fix to existing Muranos?

Does Nissan have a handle on the exact conditions in which the problem arises?

Does the problem apply to all 03s? to the 04s?

Thanks in advance.

David G.

·
4,664 Posts
Last I read he joined Nissan in June of this year, so it's not likely he was driving the Murano before it was released to the public.

However, The story could change...

·
Registered
51 Posts
AWD Lock?

When I read about this issue before purchasing my '03 MO my first thought was that CR must have had it locked in awd and tried to turn on dry pavement at low speed. What they experienced sounds exactly like what both my 93 Blazer and 99 suburban would do in that situation.
I've had my MO for a little over a month and haven't experienced anything like what CR did but then again I don't normally drive with it in awd lock.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
My Murano does have the CR steering issue. I wouldn't even call it a problem.

To see if you have it. While engine is at idle (~600-700rpm) turn the steering wheel as fast as you can lock to lock. You will notice that because of the low idle, the steering quickly looses assist boost. Now it does take a bit of muscle to continue turning the "non power assisted" steering at that point. So I guess if you really had to turn wheels while stopped, then it would be a safety issue, although anytime the car is in motion, there is enough boost. So I would say CR is legitamate saying it is a steering quirk, but it is certainly not a "defect" as they claim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And is this only an issue with the AWD, FWD or all Muranos? I have FWD and haven't noticed it, although I can't say for sure if I've ever done the specific maneuver

·
4,664 Posts
Chancie23 said:
Jaak, once again I have to correct you. It should be SHE did not join Nissan until June 2002 not 2003, so yes I have been driving and caring for the Murano since long before you guys got yours (I've also been driving the FX45, 350Z, Titan, Armada, QX56, Quest, Maxim, Altima and a few others). I've have not read the consumer report on the Murano so I can not speak on what they did. What I can tell you is that our Murano has never had any goofy steering problems. Also I have never heard of any of the Murano's here having a problem (and this place is the Mecca for Murano's). Every so often the company vehicles department will send out an edict requesting that employee vehicles on a company lease be brought in for a check-up if they think there is a problem. They have done this a few times for the 350Z, but never had one on the Murano that I can remember.
Oops. Sorry I got the year wrong... ;)

Didn't see a SHE, so that's news too! Great to see more women in the forum, we need it!

Once again you have to correct me? I guess I missed the corrections, as the years the only one I'm aware of...

But whatever, I'm cool with that, if it makes you feel better...

So where have you been in the last year. There's been a lot of really frustrated Murano owners in the accessory area, for almost a year now..

I'm pleased you're brave enough to get on, after all the screw-ups. Major points for trying to help!:18:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts