Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2010 Murano LE AWD. I purchased it used last year and now it has 131,000 miles on it. I do not know if the fluid has ever been changed.
Intermittently, when I drive the car and come to a stop sign, or stop light, as soon as I start to accelerate it has a hesitation and takes about 10 seconds for the car to take off like it should. I’ll hammer the gas pedal and it has a hesitation and then it takes off. It does not have a check engine light on.
I was just wondering if it would be safe to change the CVT fluid at 131k miles? I’ve read on here it’s recommended to change the fluid at 100k miles.

I’m not sure if the hesitstion is CVT related or a air/fuel issue with the throttle body.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Unfortunately, those are classic signs of CVT failure. My 2003 suffered the same symptoms, starting at about 90K miles. Made it to 127K before it was replaced under dealer warranty.

Not knowing if anything was done to the CVT, I would recommend first a CVT pan drop with filter replace and flush using the CVT cooler return line method.

Material cost is about $300, with the high cost of CVT fluid.

This might buy some mileage, but is much cheaper the just jumping into replacing the CVT.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, those are classic signs of CVT failure. My 2003 suffered the same symptoms, starting at about 90K miles. Made it to 127K before it was replaced under dealer warranty.

Not knowing if anything was done to the CVT, I would recommend first a CVT pan drop with filter replace and flush using the CVT cooler return line method.

Material cost is about $300, with the high cost of CVT fluid.

This might buy some mileage, but is much cheaper the just jumping into replacing the CVT.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Thank you Paul for your input. I really didn’t want to start throwing parts into it for no reason. I’ll do the pan drop and fluid replacement as you mentioned and go from there. I really do enjoy the car and would like to keep it on the road a few more years if possible. Have a good evening as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a TSB online to replace the valve body and reprogram the TCM. I know my vehicle is not under warranty, I wonder if the dealership would repair this for free or if I would have to pay to get this repair completed?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,075 Posts
Is the TCM actually throwing a P1778? If not, I wouldn't jump into replacing transmission components. Follow PaulDay's advice on servicing the CVT fluid.

Also, you should be aware that hesitation problems in these cars can be caused by a hole/tear in the intake tubing the runs between the air filter housing and throttle body. Remove it and inspect it carefully (bend/flex it).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Is the TCM actually throwing a P1778? If not, I wouldn't jump into replacing transmission components. Follow PaulDay's advice on servicing the CVT fluid.

Also, you should be aware that hesitation problems in these cars can be caused by a hole/tear in the intake tubing the runs between the air filter housing and throttle body. Remove it and inspect it carefully (bend/flex it).
It does not have a CEL light on and I’m not sure if the TCM has any codes I don’t have a scanner that will read transmission codes. I have checked the intake tubing and there are no cracks in it. Engine runs really good and smooth . I’ll try the CVT fluid change and see how that does. I’m wondering if it could be a stepper motor failure . Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You probably have P0868. Get your transmission codes read and see for sure before dropping 3 bills on fluid. From members reports over the years, fluid change does not really help when you start getting CVT codes. Dealer does not change just the valve body or stepper motor, only the entire reman CVT. Doing those repair also is a maybe at best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thank you Nitely, I appreciate that. I’m also curious if there are any codes stored in the TCM as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thank you Nitely, I appreciate that. I’m also curious if there are any codes stored in the TCM as well

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,075 Posts
If you have a P1778 then it would be stored in the ECM (and TCM) and the MIL would be on. P0868 would only be stored in the TCM. If you have an android phone/tablet then you can download the CVTz50 app ($5) and get a cheap OBDII adapter, which will allow you to pull any codes from the TCM as well as do other CVT diagnostics.

If it is actually a transmission problem, then doing the CVT fluid service may or may not help. Some people on these forums have had luck with it while others not. Also, some people have been getting serious CVT codes periodically and will yet drive the car for years without the CVT failing completely.

BTW, I'm assuming that you've actually checked the fluid level and condition using the service manual procedure, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts