Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Murano already running the OEM XM add-on kit from Grubbs. I'm going to make a move to Sirius shortly, so I have to remove my OEM receiver and antenna.

My question is, Grubbs has the mini Sirius antenna and the regular sized one, anyone see any major difference between the 2? I am already running the larger older XM antenna on my room already. The current Sirius ones are the same price.

Anyone running Sirius and dissatisfied with the service in the Murano? It seems the bulk of us have XM installed.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Curious, why the switch and why replace the existing antenna? Just get a new receiver and I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got Sirius with the mini antenna installed on top of the roof - did not cut the notch to route the cable ( there is already a very small notch near the center). Got the receiver from the dealer and still got the 3 months free service, just by asking. Sound quality below is below cd, signal quality is very good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 2003 with the Grubbs Sirius setup.
Got the regular-sized antenna because I did the hidden install in the brake light housing.

Signal stays good even though I didn't rig a ground plane for it.

By the way, the type vehicle the receiver is in has no bearing on the quality of service you get from Sirius.

·
4,601 Posts
td01 said:
Sound quality below is below cd, signal quality is very good.
Same for XM.

They allocate bandwidth to different channels, so not all channels have the same quality. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not so good. How picky you are, the content, and how loud you make it, are all contributing factors to how good it sounds.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't know about Sirius but my biggest complaint about XM is that the volume is different on various channels. Drives me nuts. I guess that is why.

·
4,601 Posts
Gonzo said:
Curious, why the switch and why replace the existing antenna? Just get a new receiver and I think you are good to go.
Depending on the antenna specs, it may make a difference. I'd be tempted to just try it and see if it works. If you get a lot of drop outs then switch the antenna.

Or post the spec sheets for both, and we can help you interpret them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression that I would need to swap the antenna. Believe me, I'd rather leave the existing one in place. I have it mounted on the roof. Its up where the factory would have placed with the wires running around the weatherstripping of the hatch and eventually into the rear cargo area. I don't want to redo that if I don't have to.

Since you asked, I am considering a move from XM to Sirius for Howard Stern. Please, lets not turn this into a Stern bashing thread. Some people love him, some don't. I like him enough to want to move and I'm quite sure many others will do the same. I have XM in other vehicles, so I won't get completely detached from either service. It might even help me appreciate one versus the other.

I'm also considering leaving the XM antenna in place on the roof and running the Sirius one into the compartment above the 3rd brake light. This way, if I change my mind and go back to XM, its an easy backout solution. Regardless, I'd still need to run that cable around the vehicle again.

It looks like there is a mismatch on frequency tuning of the antenna, but I don't know a lot about this stuff. Here is the specs on both to compare.

Here is the spec on the existing one. It is a Terk SR-2:

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency: 2332.5 to 2345.0 MHz
Bandwidth: 12.5 MHz
VSWR: 2:1
Terrestrial Reception: Linear polarization
Satellite Reception: Circular polarization
Input Impedance: 50 ohms
Coverage from Tuner: Terrestrial antenna is omnidirectional
Current Draw: 110 mA typical per antenna LNA
Input Voltage: 4.5 Vdc typical
LNA Noise Figure: 0.8 dB max.
Terrestrial Noise Figure: 1.3 dB max.
Total Active LNA Gain –
Terrestrial Reception: 18 -22 dB
Satellite Reception: 20 -24 dB
Out of Band Filter Attenuation: 25 dB min.
Cables: 11 feet coaxial
Connectors: FAKRA-type SMB (color coded)
Mounting Material: Adhesive pads (3M 5356 acrylic foam)
Materials: Radome impact-resistant glass-filled
nylon (paintable)
Radiated Immunity: 100 volts per meter, 200 MHz to 2 Ghz
Weight: 6 oz (without cables)
Dimensions –
Antenna Module: 4-1⁄4" x 3-3⁄16" x 1-1⁄2"
Cable Cover (L x W x H): 6-3⁄4" x 5⁄8" x 7⁄32"
Temperature: -40 °C to +105 °C, operating
-45 °C to +120 °C, storage
Quality and Performance Tests –
XM Approved: Per specification XM-TEC-3-0009-RD
AES Approved: Tested and proven to AES