Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out giving the MO her once over on Thursday and noticed that the oil level was down to about 1/2 way on the dip stick. So I called the dealer to ask what was up and why would a brand new vechicle (2700 kms, 1700 miles) be so low on oil.

He said
"because of the pressure that builds through the engine (which supposedly is excessive in the 3.5 because of the high performance) , all Muranos will only be filled up with 4 ltrs (4.2 quarts) of oil no matter where is goes on the dip stick".

I asked him if that was the case in all 3.5's as we have an 03 3.5SE Altima as well. He said it was and sure enough, I went home and checked. It was at the half way mark as well.

I am not a mechanic but it sems strange to me?

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
416 Posts
There definitely is some innaccuracy re the reading of the oil level on the dipstick. After changing the oil/filter, adding 4 litres produces a reading in the half to 3/4's area on the dipstick. The important thing is to check from time to time to make sure the oil level doesn't drop below the initial reading; if it does it means there is an oil consumption problem.

The "excessive pressure" explanation is BS....if that was the case, all sorts of gaskets would leak, the dip stick would be "blown" out of the hole it sits in etc. A HP engine(high rpms) like the 3.5 due require protection from the oil in the oil pan being sucked into the turbulance of the crankshaft; I'm sure the oil pan has a windage tray that keeps the required separation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does this sound stuiped,:confused: Maybe make a dipstick that would be at the fill mark when the level is correct.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can't explain it but I found the same issue after my first two changes. However after that putting the same amount of oil in the MO (4qts) showed almost full on the dip stick. :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Only way to tell if you are burning/losing oil is to do check the oil first thing in the morning with a cold engine and top it off to the top of the hash mark region on the dipstick. It is possible your Murano was filled with 4 quarts at the factory instead of the 4.2 qts to spec. As long as its within the hash region you are fine - just make sure it doesn't go down dramatically.

BTW - any dealer saying its normal for an engine to burn any oil is completely wrong. Maybe it true for the ancient 2.0L engines in VW's, but not Nissan's VQ. My 97 Maxima never burned a drop, and neither has my Murano over 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree Eric, I had a VW with the 2.0 and it burned oil for about 18 months before it stopped. but with the Murano, I haven't had any problems at all....

·
Registered
420 Posts
How hard was it to remove the plug? Mine seems to be welded on. Are you
turning it counter-clockwise? I can see that a crush washer wasn't used after my last dealer oil change. Could that be why it's so hard to remove?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The plug specs call for it to be torqued down 20-25lb/ft. Thats "hand tight" with a 6" socket wrench.

I doubt that not using the crush gasket would cause it to be extra tight. The drain plug goes on normal ways - "righty tighty" and "lefty loosey."

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for your help Eric. Once I knew I was turning it in the right direction, I gave it all my strength and it finally loosened. So much for "hand tight".

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ah but how hard was yourfactory filter screwed on? Mine (like other cars I've owned) had the filter screwed on sooooo tight. Of course this is explained since the robots can read the sign on the filter that states not to over tighten filter. Geesh.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There obviously is a bit of a communications problem in a plant that can overtighten an oil filter and hand tighten a steering rack.

:)

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I wish nissan could also reprogram the robots to get the service managers heads screwed on right as well.

·
4,601 Posts
That's because they're like Murano's without the Navigation System... There's a few wires missing in the harness!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Fstrnu said:
I was out giving the MO her once over on Thursday and noticed that the oil level was down to about 1/2 way on the dip stick. So I called the dealer to ask what was up and why would a brand new vechicle (2700 kms, 1700 miles) be so low on oil.

He said
"because of the pressure that builds through the engine (which supposedly is excessive in the 3.5 because of the high performance) , all Muranos will only be filled up with 4 ltrs (4.2 quarts) of oil no matter where is goes on the dip stick".

I asked him if that was the case in all 3.5's as we have an 03 3.5SE Altima as well. He said it was and sure enough, I went home and checked. It was at the half way mark as well.

I am not a mechanic but it sems strange to me?

Anyone else notice this?
Which dealer in Calgary has such a uneducated service manager?. Usaully the service advisors are not mechanics and seem to talk off the top of their heads. There is no way pressure is allowed to build up in the engine, if it does the PCV (positive crankcase vent) is sticking close and should be replaced. The compression on the Mo is 1275 Kpa (185 PSI) per cylinder, if the pressure is getting high you could blow the oil dipstick out of it's hole on the engine block and have oil all over the place.

I change my own oil and use 4.5 liters when I change the filter with it and at this time I am not burning any oil. And for the service manager knowledge the manual for the Mo states that you wait 5-10 minutes before you check the oil level to allow all the oil to settle back into the oilpan for an accurate oil reading.

:29: :29:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just had the 12000km (7500ml) service today. Decided to go with synthetic and took my own oil - 4 litres as per the manual.
As I waited for the car, the service manager comes by to let me know that the requirement is 4.46 litres, (yes 4.46!) and should they top it off or will I look after that myself. I indicated the latter then asked where 4.46 came from. According to him that is what their tech papers state, but of course they round to 4.5 - and yes the owners manual is wrong! Without doing the math I am assuming that 4.46 is the precise metric equivalent of either a US quart or Imperial quart measurement.
Anyway got home and let the MO sit for a while and then checked the oil level on the dipstick - right at "L". Added .5 litre and let it sit again - now it is right at the "F".

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The official requirement is 4 quarts without filter change, 4.25 quarts with filter change. I do find however, that the actual capacity varies between 4-4.5 quarts depending how long I let the oil drain.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
everytime i bring my own oil to the dealer, i bring 5 qtz...

and the service manager never return the oil to me...
SO i guess, they always keep the 0.5qt leftover for themselves :p Or they indded fill my murano up with all 5qt.
But i always check the level using the dipstick after i came back from dealer service, it always right 3/4 way to the max line

·
Registered
277 Posts
Granted that the technician for whatever reason overfilled the oil (say put in 5 liters or more...) into it.

What kind of problems would one have?

Also can some please tell me if it is mandatory to have your oil changes at a Nissan dealership for warranty purposes or is it okay if you can have it at one of those quick lube places.
Will the warranty be void if you had it done in those Quick Lube shops?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Anyone can change your oil even yourself and NOT void the warranty. Just keep ALL your reciepts for oil and filters. I would also keep some sort of auto maintenance log as well.

If oil is over filled it is bad. Better to under fill than over fill. When its over filled, it can create exessive pressure within the engine that can damage the seals. Also when its over filled the oil can't circulate well and can begin to foam. When this happens your engine isn't lubriated well as the oil doesn't flow well when its foam.

I change my own oil and fill it 3/4 up the dip stick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts