Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of forum members live in South West Florida – homer, esemes………

I hope you guys and all the others survived the Charley without scars.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Yes, we must keep our thoughts with them at this time. My uncle & aunt live a few miles from port charlotte and punta gorda in rotonda west, but were lucky enough to get out to West Palm a few hours before Charley hit. They came home to just find a tree torn up out of the ground on their property. Then, several hours later, the eye passed right over my Mom's place in Debary with 100mph winds.

Everyone is okay, thank goodness.

·
4,664 Posts
Scary stuff... I was in St. Petes and at Disney, just a couple of weeks back.

I really hope everyone and their Muranos are fine...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Charley cut quite a path through Florida, doing its greatest damage in the southwest part of the state but still doing a lot of damage in central and northeast Florida. Lots of folks in the Orlando area and the Daytona Beach area are still without power and might not get it back until this coming weekend. We here in Gainesville were spared. Charley was predicted to come through Gainesville with 90-100 mph winds but decided to head a bit south of us. I, too, hope our south Florida friends fared well.

Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I was watching news footage of Charley and I saw an untouched MO driving around the devestation. I had to rewind TIVO to make sure I saw it!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Yes, I saw that too, a white one wasn't it?

Wish those guys would report in..... :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
Noble sentiments and I share them, along with concern. Keep in mind, however, that posting on an enthusiast board may be pretty low on their priority list - especially if they have no power. Hang in there SFL guys. Our thoughts are with you even if you can't respond because of power losses!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too missed Charley by a week. I was at my condo in Madeira Beach (Near St. Petes). I was a nervous wreck last Friday watching Charley's path. All predictions put the condo right smack in the middle of Charley's path.

jaak, next time you go down to St.Petes, give me a shout. I can give you a good deal on a weeks stay at my beach front condo.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Charley cut quite a path through Florida. He decided to take an easy route and came straight up Interstate 4. Winds of 105 mph at OIA and 85 to 90 mph between where I live and Daytona beach. Lots of destruction, lots of tree's down and many many people without power. My immediate family was very lucky with minimal damage, neighbors around the corner have trees down on their homes. My parents were hit and have quite a bit of damage as well as my siblings. We are all alive however some without power still but things could be much much worse. Thank you all for your sentiments.

·
4,664 Posts
I can only faintly imagine what that's like. I have always been amazed at the amount of water that comes down, when it rains there, but to be in that storm must be terrifying.

jetnbye, I'll let HRH (Her Royal Highness) know about your offer. The only problem is on a "holiday" she really doesn't want to do anything domestic, so I'm curious what she thinks about a condo...

Although, we could always eat out!

In the meantime, I hope spirits are positive and people are helpful in FLA. Not something I envy. (And I hope the Gov. manages to kick in a few $ to help out....)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
pcs, glad you made it through in one piece. Based on your description, you must be real close to my Mom in Debary. She took a tour and saw trees down in Deltona. They had to go to Lake Mary to find an open coffee shop the next morning. One of the biggest things that Disney liked about the location they selected was that it hadn't seen the eye of a hurricane in 40 someodd years. I guess that clock has been reset!

Again, glad you're okay. A little shaken, but not stirred.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Good to see you post pcs

been thinkin bout my Mo Bros down there.....

Godspeed to your family's power an property fixin.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Is Homer OK??? He may not have power/computer, or I'm sure we would have heard from him.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We haven't heard from many Floridians...........I hope they are OK.........

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
The way Homer describes it, it sure sounds like he's not too far from ground zero. As I mentioned above, I have family less than 10 miles away, and while they've been told not to expect power for two full weeks, they only had a tree torn up in the yard (and it didn't land on the house). Now I sure wish they had invested in one of those automatic whole-house generators, and I bet they do, too. Let's hope Homer and anyone else incommunicado is in similar shape.

I'm just about the only guy I know who would drive three hours just to surf for open wireless and post pictures!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm OK and back ON THE AIR!

Took awhile to get power back and then awhile for it to stabilize.
Same with Telephone and Cable Internet.

I got unlucky, then lucky/

First of all, as we were getting our butts handed to us, the NWS was still saying that the storm would stay 50 miles offshore and make landfall approx at Tampa Bay.
What happened was, the storm Veered right and had me in it's sights (N. Ft Myers - this is a separate town from Ft Myers and is located between Ft Myers and Punta Gorda). Then with about an hour before the eye hit, the local weather guys, going against the conventional wisdom of the NWS, came on and said that the NWS was wrong and that we were going to get hit. AND it was now moving left and would hit at Punta Gorda (After the barrier islands of course) They basically ordered everybody out of the trailers (and into other peoples homes, or shelters) and out of any low lying houses, NOW!
Turned out to be about 45 minutes notice.
If you saw the films on the Trailer Parks in PG, you know, this saved lives.

We got steady 100MPH and gusts to maybe 120.

PG, 10 to 12 miles away OTOH, got steady 145 and who knows how high the gusts went.

My house is OK. I have hurricane shutters everywhere. Garage door beam braces also.
Other folks in my neighborhood were not so lucky.

Worst thing for us was loss of power and subsequent loss of a refrige filled with food.
And sleeping in SW Fla without any AC or even fans.
Don't know if a generator makes any sense.

IF you had bought a generator after the last Hurricane went through, it would have been 44 years old for this hurricane.:eek:
The last hurricane went through here in 1960 (Donna).

Have to feel sorry for the folks in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. And really the rest of the way too. Polk county had 100 MPH winds.....and SEVEN tornadoes.

Anyway, I'm back and ready to rumble.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
758 Posts
Homer

Glad to hear your back and safe. I know with the way things were here in Central Florida that it had to be extremely terrifying down there. EasternPA - I live in a small town called Longwood which is very close to Lake Mary (where I work). I'm about 25 miles from Deltona. We had lots of tree's and power lines down which made it very hard to make it into work on Friday night, but I made it after the storm had calmed down to just showers. Still felt like an idiot trying to make it down roads with tree's and lines down, but they wanted me in at work! For all those contemplating a career change - take Data Processing/IT off the list. Too much time at work and away from the family.

·
4,664 Posts
I considered that at one point but decided I didn't want to watch windows reboot all day... Fortunately, MS changed it so it doesn't do it as much!:p

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK Homer! Welcome back! Hope that things are restored to normal soon!

----------------
About the career change....sign me up?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts