Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys & gals:

Since the MO' is running on a CAN bus I thought you may find this interesting. It is the best diagnostic tool that I have seen for the price. It works on CAN, ISO, PWM and VPW (which means 99.9% of the cars produced after 1996). It has a variety of tools and o-scopes plus a drap strip tool and a dyno tool. I do not think the dyno tool will work with the MO because of the way the tranny works but who cares. You still get a kick ass tool. I don't have my MO any more but it works fine with my Pathfinder.

the site is

www.myscantool.com

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
It certainly has potential. And the price isn't bad either.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i was looking into getting an OBD-II scanner the other day since the check engine light came on in the truck. this one looks like it may be a winner since it tells you what all the codes mean.

ohh... do you need to have this hooked up to a laptop to find out what's goin on??

·
5,268 Posts
It looks good. I have been looking into scan tools and G-Tech for performance checks. This one looks like it has it all. And for the price you it cannot be beaten.

Just curious – how accurate the “Drag Strip” function is.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The drag strip function is only accurate if the wheel size is correctly programmed into the MO's computer. Properly inflated stock tires pose no problem. The system grabs data from the OBDII interface every 200 milseconds. You STAGE the strip run and once the laptop gets any movement pulses it starts the countdown.

You do need a laptop to perform this. If you just want to read codes or run tests you could use a desktop that is in reach of the car. The cables are pretty damn long.

·
5,268 Posts
So assuming the tires are the right size we may expect 0- 60 time accuracy +- 0.2 sec. Unless the software is smart enough to extrapolate.......

Anyway, the system does look as a good and economical solution for someone who already has a computer.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kris said:
So assuming the tires are the right size we may expect 0- 60 time accuracy +- 0.2 sec. Unless the software is smart enough to extrapolate.......

Anyway, the system does look as a good and economical solution for someone who already has a computer.
I can only assume that would be correct. The laptop would be the TIME base so it will be accurate. The speed base is provided by the sensor that feeds the OBD computer. Provided there is not much latency there I could see highly predictive and accurate results. Since the MO or my Pathfinder is not really a race car I don't really see too much value in this function. On my turbo GTI I can see where I will use it. The real power is in the data logging. The scope and realtime tests can monitor four or more sensors at one time. For intermittent problems this is invaluable because you can take a roadtrip with the vehicle and never have to even look at the screen. Your can do better troubleshooting and see all the data on one screen at one time.

·
5,268 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I want this! I am going to talk with "the bank"....:D

I do not think you are alone....;) :D

·
5,268 Posts
So who is going to be first? And review it? No award axcept recognition from the board...

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Nissmo said:
...unless you can make meanfull changes with this thing it will be a short lived novelty> IMHO.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

-njjoe

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nissmo said:
I have a comprehesive tuning tool for my Vette and had one for my Touareg and have to say that unless you can make can make meanfull changes with this thing it will be a short lived novelty> IMHO.
You are absolutely correct. This is not a toy and it cant really modify factory parameters with the included software. It is only a tool for those who are capable of using that information to perform their own repairs. The elm5 interface can be used with other software and maybe it is possible to do more meaningful modifications.

If you have a 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty this may not be for you. In my case I am planning to keep my Pathfinder for a long time (hmmm.said the same thing about the MO) so it makes sense for me to be able to repair my own cars. This thing will pay for itself within one repair.

I couldnt resist doing a timeslip with the Pathfinder though. The PF is a quick SUV considering it is stock. Here are my results. I know I could do better but the PF has less than 800 miles on it and I dont want to nail it too hard during the break in period.

60 Feet = 2.226sec
0 to 60 = 6.890sec
1/8 Mile ET = 9.863
1/8 Mile Speed = 71.075mph
1000 Feet = 12.899sec
1/4 Mile ET = 15.464
1/4 Mile Speed = 88.538mph

What do these numbers mean? I dont know or care. I know the PF has some pretty kick ass acceleration for its weight class.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
generator...

sorry if this is off topic form the original post, but what kind of mpg that you get on the Pathfinder ? Thanks..

·
5,268 Posts
generator said:

0 to 60 = 6.890sec

Wow, this is quick! Are you sure the tires are the right diameter? Still this is bl.....y fast......

·
5,268 Posts
I am in too....almost ordered it yesterday..

Nissmo

I understand you, but I am a "collector" and love gadgets....:D last ice storm gave me a perfect opportunity to expand my toolbox..;)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts