Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this on their murano? What is your opinion?

XM radio roady .

I know that Grubb's infiniti sells SAT kit,
but the reason why i will buy this xm radio stand alone unit is:

1. portability,
i want to be able to remove the unit and bring it to my office.
i want to bring it in to the house.

2. cheaper, $300 grubb's SAT kit versus $119, more than 50% there.

3. it has orange color, so it will match with murano light interior.

4. small, The earlier version of xm radio : the skify unit seems a little biggy.

I know i have to comprimise on:
- not being able to display the SAT info on murano main screen, hence less factory look.
- fm modulator sound quality

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
This is one of the alternatives that I was considering as well just because of the fact that it could then be used in the office. Good find. Let us know what you do!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have one of the original Pioneer "add on" fm modulated units playing through the Bose in my 00 Maxima SE. I also have the Clarion direct connect unit from Grubbs playing through the Bose in the MO.

As long as your content to live with the FM modulated sound quality, then go for it. Recognize there is is significant difference in sound quality as well as the integeration of the display, etc.

Personally, once I heard the direct connection (actually in a G35), I had only one choice, direct connection.

Now, I actually avoid taking the Maxima if at all possible on trips longer than 15-20 minutes. The Maxima is a lot more fun to drive but I just can't get the difference in sound quality out of my poor, feeble, aging, out of control at times, mind.

As with everything in life, there are tradeoffs.:D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
I also have the Clarion direct connect unit from Grubbs playing through the Bose in the MO.
What's this?:confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Those with the Skyfi and Roady units may not have to use the casette adapter or FM modulator for much longer. PAC audio (www.pac-audio.com) is developing a interface that would allow AUX inputs directly into the Clarion headunit in our Muranos. The only downside is that the audio might be analog instead of digital, but the sound quality and lack of wires into the casette would be a big bonus.:D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TO Momama and Dr V ...

Momama wrote:
Another alternative
The Roady has an Audio Adapter option to eliminate wires into the cassette. It will not work with the SkiFi, but a SkiFi Audio Adapter will be available by summer.
http://www.xmradio.com/roady/audio_adapter.jsp
This is the fm modulator, same thing.
It will make your XM sounds like your FM radio quality. (good enough for me, not always good enough for some one elses).

DR V wrote:
Those with the Skyfi and Roady units may not have to use the casette adapter or FM modulator for much longer. PAC audio (www.pac-audio.com)
This is nice, but i dont have the casette in my murano. It is the non-bose. Will PAC audio adapter still work?

·
4,601 Posts
Yes, it emulates a SAT receiver so it plugs in the same place. Once they release it, that is...

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
jaak said:
Yes, it emulates a SAT receiver so it plugs in the same place. Once they release it, that is...
I can't wait!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jaak,

Do you know if it will pass digital audio signal onto the head unit or will it only pass analog. I am assuming it is analog since the connection is not optical.

·
Registered
828 Posts
May be way over my head here but ... there is digital coax cable and my LCD uses a digital connection that isn't optical.

Dr V said:
Jaak,

Do you know if it will pass digital audio signal onto the head unit or will it only pass analog. I am assuming it is analog since the connection is not optical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I knew there was one other common digital type interconnect, but I could not remember it and digital coax was the other connection I was thinking of, thanks dmako.

So there are 2 questions:
1) is the Grubbs receiver passing a digital or analog signal to the headunit?

2) what type of signal will be transferred by the Pac unit? I will email Pac on this point.

·
4,601 Posts
The Murano has balanced analog audio inputs which are not enabled unless the unit sees a valid accessory (sat receiver designed for the unit) attached, through the digital connection. There is no digital audio input.

The PAC unit emulates a sat receiver, to enable the audio inputs. There is no digital audio input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts