Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 7500 mile service done yesterday, Friday. They changed the oil, rotated the tires and checked my brakes. Front brakes were making griding noise and feeling. No solution.

I drive home 26 miles on the freeway and up over a large grade.

This morning on the freeway for about 10 minutes, the light goes on. I'm trying to figure out how this could be related to the work on the MO yesterday.

Any help? I'm going to look at it in the morning.

thanks for your help

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Low oil level

First thing I did was to check the oil level when the MO was cold. The oil look new but the level barely covers half of the "L". This is well below the hashed area of the dip stick which I assume would be the normal operating levels.

The MO is on an inclined driveway but I don't feel that it should create such a discrepency. Front higher than rear.

Where should the oil level appear? Am I right?

What's your view on the incline reading?

thanks

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Take it to a parking lot.
No reading other than level is valid.
Keep in mind that the engine is mounted East/West (Sideways) in a Murano.

Seems like it "shouldn't" be that low under the conditions you give, but re-read first sentence.
I would drive it to an auto parts store.
Wait 4 or 5 minutes for the oil to drain down.
Take the reading again. and if it is stil low I would fill it right there, right then with a good quality 5w-30.

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
if the light (check) stays on, and relights when the car is restarted, then go5to the dealer asap.....

have them dowload the error codes thru the OBDII and you'll have the culprit isolated, and thoroughly documented....

other than that, it could be for a multitude of reasons......

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...

I went and took another reading on level ground. I waited for about 30- 45 minutes. It looked to be in the middle of the hashed section of the dip stick.

I'll be taking it back to the dealer by work in the morning.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed!

It seems that the gas cap was not closed all the way. I had "pinched" the plastic tether of the cap between the cap and the filler opening.

I had heard that on recent makes that not inserting the dip stick or oil cap completely can cause problems. I had thought about checking this but forgot. I'll remember from now on...

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Re: Fixed!

LKimura said:
It seems that the gas cap was not closed all the way. I had "pinched" the plastic tether of the cap between the cap and the filler opening.

I had heard that on recent makes that not inserting the dip stick or oil cap completely can cause problems. I had thought about checking this but forgot. I'll remember from now on...

great!!

i do think the leash system on the filler caps is a bit lacking..... especially for a japanese manufacturer....

S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts