Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I followed the procedure in the manual and have to say reading the dipstick on my 2012 SL is a pain in the uknow. I waited over 20 minutes after the engine was shut off for the oil to drain back to the pan and I still get oil all up the dipstick after pulling it out, cleaning it, putting it back in and pulling it out quickly. Using google, I see other's are having the same issue trying to read this thing. Why did they make the dipstick such a difficult thing to read the oil level ? Is there a better way of doing it ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Friend of mine just buys older vehicles and for years just drives them until they rattle and then add gallon of oil, no need to check it that way. Just changes the filter a couple times a year.
Guy has unusual luck that way but he pays so little for his junkers it doesn't matter if they die he just doesn't care.

My issue isn't being able to see oil on the stick, it is seeing the hole to put it back.:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
Well I followed the procedure in the manual and have to say reading the dipstick on my 2012 SL is a pain in the uknow. I waited over 20 minutes after the engine was shut off for the oil to drain back to the pan and I still get oil all up the dipstick after pulling it out, cleaning it, putting it back in and pulling it out quickly. Using google, I see other's are having the same issue trying to read this thing. Why did they make the dipstick such a difficult thing to read the oil level ? Is there a better way of doing it ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance...
There are mysteries known only to the obscure and semi-mystical minds at Nissan. However, all here have essentially agreed that their dipstick function sucks swamp water big time.

Reactions: Freedom55

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had my first oil change in Dec even if I had very little mileage; Canadian Tire had a deal on synthetic oil change (Castrol Edge Dexos) and since I do mostly short trips and city driving in our very cold Winter, I figured it was money well spent. A couple of days later I decided to check the oil level to make sure it was not too low or too high (you never know with these guys!) only to discover the dipstick inserted only half way down...Thank God there was no oil spill. I soon realized how badly designed the dipstick was; too long, too flexible and hard to align and push back. You need to be very gentle with it as I think it would kink easily if pushed down hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This must be an issue with all Nissan vehicles because I have the same problem with my 2004 Infiniti I35. I also previously had a 1999 Maxima that had the issue checking the oil. Having owned several Nissan vehicles over the years I can tell you that the absolute best way to check the oil is to do it first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting all night & just about all the oil has dripped back into the oil pan. I've always seemed to get an accurate reading that way.

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
This must be an issue with all Nissan vehicles because I have the same problem with my 2004 Infiniti I35. I also previously had a 1999 Maxima that had the issue checking the oil. Having owned several Nissan vehicles over the years I can tell you that the absolute best way to check the oil is to do it first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting all night & just about all the oil has dripped back into the oil pan. I've always seemed to get an accurate reading that way.
True of all V6 engines in that series. To put it succinctly, sux.

However, it is better than my 2008 BMW which has no dipstick at all, leaving the owner at the mercy of the sensors.

I have heard the suspicion that car owners are getting too ignorant and lazy to check their oil, so sensors are being tasked to do it for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
However, it is better than my 2008 BMW which has no dipstick at all, leaving the owner at the mercy of the sensors.

I have heard the suspicion that car owners are getting too ignorant and lazy to check their oil, so sensors are being tasked to do it for them.
I would not like that at all, in fact a car with no dipstick would keep me from buying that vehicle, I'm way to neurotic to not be able to check the oil. I had no idea BMW was doing that on their cars. I read a lot of different automobile publications & I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned. Interesting!

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the past, I would buy Nissan for quality, and I wouldn't check oil on engines up to 200K. I just know that a good engine won't eat much oil between oil changes. Dipstick won't help in case of major sudden leak either.

When got 6 year old 91 Max - checked oil for a few months then stopped.
In 20 years driving Nissans never checked oil level and never had a problem.

My son drove G35 to 170K (and he drove hard) - then it started eating oil - just a bit. The way he found - on a sharp curve the oil sensor blinks. That's when he started to use dipstick :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's not so bad. Just gotta know the tricks. There is no dip stick tube on fwd VQs so the stick goes through the cylinder head and picks up oil that's draining down. My best advice is to take the dipstick out and wait 5 mins or more then quickly insert and take out then hold the stick with the handle upwards at a 45 degree angle and take a reading.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's not so bad. Just gotta know the tricks. There is no dip stick tube on fwd VQs so the stick goes through the cylinder head and picks up oil that's draining down. My best advice is to take the dipstick out and wait 5 mins or more then quickly insert and take out then hold the stick with the handle upwards at a 45 degree angle and take a reading.
I'm I reading that right? I Should stand there for at least 5 min holding the dipstick before reinserting:confused: That doesn't sound right in more ways than one:D

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
I'm I reading that right? I Should stand there for at least 5 min holding the dipstick before reinserting:confused: That doesn't sound right in more ways than one:D
I find it inconvenient to stand around holding my dipstick in public. :x

Reactions: Freedom55

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oil checking

I have had 2 Muranos, an 04 and 11. I noticed that same issue of checking the oil. The best way I found to get an accurate reading is to let the vehicle sit overnight and then check it before you start it up.

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
I have had 2 Muranos, an 04 and 11. I noticed that same issue of checking the oil. The best way I found to get an accurate reading is to let the vehicle sit overnight and then check it before you start it up.
Exactly. The solution is encompassed in two words: plan ahead.

I have someone coming in an hour to drive the Murano I'm selling. I'll go now and check the oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's one way to ensure things last longer than 5 minutes i guess.....!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree with the opinions here about how annoying it is to check the oil. We have a 2012 Murano SV that we purchased CPO earlier this year and love the car; however I find it difficult to reach way down to check the oil dipstick level and even harder to place the dipstick back into it's small slot. I have to shine a light in the area to replace the dipstick. I've owned many different cars in my lifetime and the FWD Murano's dipstick is the worst!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm thinking turbizzy did'nt mean to hold the dipstick, but clean it off, lay it down for a period of time (5 mins) then do a quick check. Worth a try as turbizzy usually has excellent comments. The recommendation
to check it in the morning may be a good one also. I totally agree it's a frustrating procedure trying to check the actual level.

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
Yup, it takes a long time for oil to settle into that V6 crankcase, especially when it's cold. It's a pain.

However, as compared to my nice BMW 6-cylinder 328xi, which has no freakin' dipstick at all (!!!!!) it's OK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts