Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 MO. My wife finds a chemical odor (not mildew odor) emanating from the AC. The odor comes and goes and lasts for a few seconds each time it occurs. Usually happens after the AC has been on for awhile and when the car is accelerating. Anybody experience a similar problem? Any thoughts?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
IMO

The AC compressor switches off when accelerating maybe something to do with when it comes back on.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmill-

Does the problem happen when driving in a particular area? I ask this because it is possible what your wife is smelling may be the outside air entering the vents.

The HVAC system is sealed so you should not be smelling anything from under the hood.

Engine coolant and AC refrigerant are contained within piping in the HVAC, but if there was a leak the smell would most likely be constant.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Try SugarRushMurano solution. Do a search on the forum. It works! I mean the solution.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jmill-

While I was at the Nissan dealer today I picked up a brochure for a product that reportedly eliminates AC odor.

The product is marketed by KIA (my Nissan dealer also sells KIAs) and is called Cooling Coil Coating. Apparently it works two ways - 1) "Cured coating on A/C evaporator surfaces helps shed moisture" and 2) "Antimicrobial agent inhibits the growth of odor-causing microorganisms on cured coating".

I am not sure if it would help in your case, but at least it is an option.

-njjoe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts