Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever noticed a chemical smell in the cabin when the A/C is on? My MO has had this since new and I can't figure out what's causing it. It has sort of a solvent-like smell (like some sort of alcohol-based solvent) and I worry it could be leaking Freon or whatever they use these days. Of course if the A/C was leaking you'd think it would be completely empty by now. I raised this issue with my dealer and they claimed " the A/C was working within parameters". I believe they just ran it and noticed they could get it to blow cold air. Of course, since it's 50 deg. outside right now this proves nothing. I hope they actually checked the Freon level but somehow I doubt this.

This smell is NOT the usual moldy mositure smell you get after running the A/C for awhile and then not using it. It's definitely an acrid sort of chemical odor.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Garvdog said:
Anyone ever noticed a chemical smell in the cabin when the A/C is on? My MO has had this since new and I can't figure out what's causing it. It has sort of a solvent-like smell (like some sort of alcohol-based solvent) and I worry it could be leaking Freon or whatever they use these days. Of course if the A/C was leaking you'd think it would be completely empty by now. I raised this issue with my dealer and they claimed " the A/C was working within parameters". I believe they just ran it and noticed they could get it to blow cold air. Of course, since it's 50 deg. outside right now this proves nothing. I hope they actually checked the Freon level but somehow I doubt this.

This smell is NOT the usual moldy mositure smell you get after running the A/C for awhile and then not using it. It's definitely an acrid sort of chemical odor.
I was going to say it is not normal, then I saw you live in LA....It is probably the smog being filtered out.....:2:

But all kidding aside, it is possible that it is the smell of the fabric protector they put on the seats and interior. Some might have somehow gotten to the cabin filter and stayed there. Complain to the dealer about the smell but do not diagnose the problem. Just tell them it is making you sick and they better fix it. At the minimum have them replace the cabin filter and replace it with the new charcoal type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 MO and have experienced the same problem for 3 years. The AC produces very cold air so the coolant has not leaked out. Have you got the fix to this problem???

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yup... I actually posted on this a few months ago, probably can do a search and find it.

I got it in the begining of the summer, when I started using my A.C. It lasted a few weeks then went away. I thought it was exhaust fumes coming in somehow since it made me sick and smelled nasty. I had to keep rolling the windows down. one day it just wasn't there anymore. Thank god.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Give it a shot of Lysol and frebreeze

Into the Air intake when you are out of the vehicle, also check the cabin air filter. Maybe when the AC is off (by switch or accelerating) smells acculimate in the air return etc and are then flushed out when the Compressor comes on and cools the evaporator causing the water that has accumilated on the evap from humidity in the car to get put in the air stream.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts